Reports to: Editorial Director, Sourcebooks and Poisoned Pen Press
Directly supervises: N/A
Direct responsibility for acquiring and developing the Sourcebooks imprint list, including list management, communication, and all acquisitions and development functions.
Responsibility for on-time, high-quality project development and production, including project management, developmental editing, copyediting, and other administrative tasks.
- Financial growth and profitability of acquired titles
- Market research and project research as assigned
- Proofreading projects and other materials as assigned
- Researching, writing, and editing as assigned
- Active participation in completion of Editorial Acquisitions goals
- Visibility and credibility of Sourcebooks titles in the marketplace
- Update submission logs and send rejection letters on a weekly basis
- General organization, timeliness, and accuracy of acquisitions process, records, and databases
- Editorial deadlines met
- Accuracy and profitability of published titles
- Quality and timeliness of research
Editorial and Acquisitions
- Responsible for project management of individual titles within the Sourcebooks imprint. Assist Editorial Directors in establishing project list and schedule for each season.
- Identify and solicit manuscripts for publication in adult nonfiction categories.
- Establish project list and schedule for each season.
- Maintain and develop professional contact with literary agents.
- Present potential titles at acquisition meetings, propose new titles, recruit authors, screen author proposals, and conduct deal negotiations with authors and agents.
- Analyze marketplace needs and competition. Identify and solicit manuscripts for publication in desired areas.
- Research and provide advance reports on product positioning information as assigned
- Sales data tracking as assigned.
- Track, manage response to, and evaluate submissions sent to the acquiring editors within the Sourcebooks imprint.
- Lead or assist in assembly of final materials for presswork, including art, photography, permission, etc.
- Key contact for prepublication author correspondence.
- Track author progress (benchmarking and scheduling).
- Edit and develop manuscripts for content, structure, correctness, readability, and positioning, vet all books for accuracy and quality.
- Position new product for the marketplace with respect to content, category, title, subtitle, physical packaging, design packaging, marketing copy, etc.
- Write positioning and marketing copy for new product catalogs.
- Write back cover and flap copy for publication.
- Approve final book internal design template.
- Communicate with Bookmaking and manufacturing groups to ensure positioning and vision throughout bookmaking process.
- Coordinate author review of layout pages in conjunction with Content Delivery as needed.
- Maintain 100% on-time delivery for all aspects of the above.
Editorial Acquisitions Coordination
- Prepare materials for launches, presales, and sales conference.
- Manage updating of data and content to Title Database as assigned.
- Coordinate acquisitions schedules with Content Delivery schedules.
- And other duties as assigned.
To apply, visit: https://www.sourcebooks.com/careers.html?p=job%2Fo7VFafwB#join.