Erewhon Books is a new independent speculative fiction publisher distributed by Workman Publishing. We opened in June 2018 and will debut our first season of new titles in 2020. We focus on novel-length works of adult and upper-YA speculative fiction, including science fiction, fantasy, horror, and other subgenres, but are open to other works of interest to SF&F readers.
Erewhon is seeking to hire a creative and enthusiastic editor of literary speculative fiction to acquire for a boutique list of SF&F books that are high quality, unique within the genre, and commercially successful.
Preferred skills and background:
- At least 2 years experience and demonstrated expertise in and passion for acquiring and editing SF&F or literary fiction novels in the editorial department of a publishing company.
- Extensive knowledge of speculative fiction literature and/or literary fiction and those communities, including an established contacts network of authors, agents, and publishing professionals within either or both genres.
- Experience taking projects from manuscript to publication, including packaging, art direction, and production tracking.
- Experience working with a small team and flexibility and enthusiasm for taking on new tasks outside of defined areas.
- Excellent organizational, verbal, and written communication skills, attention to detail, and the capacity to multitask, prioritize, meet deadlines, demonstrate good follow-through, and work independently and collaboratively.
- Acquiring works of literary SF, including building relationships with agents, soliciting submissions, and assessing and articulating the publishability of manuscripts, including extensive knowledge of comparative titles, sales estimates, costs, and profitability projections.
- Developmental and line-editing of acquisitions and project managing titles through the publication process.
- Helping develop cover concepts and working with artists and designers to guide art and design for the book.
- Overseeing production of the book in conjunction with production managerial staff and our distributor’s production department.
- Writing sales and cover copy and working with publicity, marketing, ad/promo and sales departments to guide and position our books.
- Attending events and conferences on behalf of the company, including local, national, and international genre/industry/library events and rights conferences.
Along with a cover letter and resume, applicants should include a list of SF books they have edited. (The list need not be exhaustive—consider including the books or authors most in line with our editorial vision). If someone else acquired any of the titles on your list, please note who.
Salary and title will be commensurate with experience. If you can submit a desired salary range, that is helpful, but not required.
Erewhon offers a competitive salary, full benefits, and a friendly working environment. This is a full-time position based in our offices in Manhattan.
Erewhon is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will consider all applicants without regard to race, national origin, religion, age, ethnic derivation, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status. People from backgrounds and demographics that are traditionally underrepresented in publishing are especially encouraged to apply.
To apply, please e-mail email@example.com. The subject line should contain the text “Erewhon jobs: Editor: ” and then your full name. Paste your cover letter in the body of the e-mail and attach a resume and any other supporting materials as *.PDF, *.DOCX, or *.RTF files.