CLEVER Publishing is the new-to-the-US children’s book press. We are dedicated to creating a wonderful world of experiences for children and their families. The bright, colorful pages of our interactive formats introduce children to early learning skills in the most playful and entertaining ways.
We are seeking a highly organized, enthusiastic, and creative Editor to join our team!
- Propose and develop projects by identifying new opportunities in market
- Prepare and present projects for acquisition; understand the components of a book P&L to ensure profitability
- Shepherd manuscripts through the bookmaking process—from acquisition to production
- Negotiate contract terms with packagers and agents
- Write effective and accurate copy and metadata
- Adhere to fast-paced production schedules
- Create design briefs for art department
- Skillfully copyedit, research, and fact check
- Effectively communicate and guide authors, illustrators, and designers to assure deliverables stay on schedule and budget
- Manage high volume list while simultaneously ensuring projects meet our high standards
- Support Editor-in-Chief on occasion with various administrative tasks
- 5+ years of experience in children’s book publishing, preschool market a plus
- Familiarity of Chicago Manual Style
- Ability to balance long-term goals and short-term deadlines
- Solid understanding of competitive market
- Genuine enthusiasm for children’s books
- Strong written and verbal communication and negotiating skills
- Willingness to be flexible and multitask in a small, growing business environment
- Positive attitude and desire to work within a tight knit and supportive team
CLEVER Publishing offers generous benefits including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance.
To apply to this position, please send your CV and a cover letter stating your salary expectations.