Sarah Lawrence College is seeking a new Director to expand upon the success of its distinguished Writing Institute. The Writing Institute Director will build new audiences and create new opportunities for non-degree program offerings while fostering connections with the College’s undergraduate and graduate programs to strengthen the writing ecosystem at Sarah Lawrence.
Sarah Lawrence is seeking an individual with the entrepreneurial capabilities and administrative experience to envision and implement a new strategic plan for the Writing Institute. This individual must have the organizational capabilities to oversee and manage the day-to-day operations of the Institute and its hundreds of students, while simultaneously implementing a vision that leads to growth. The Director will report directly to the Dean of Graduate and Professional Studies. This position is intended for someone with the expertise and excitement to expand and extend the reach and impact of a program with a strong reputation and following within the Sarah Lawrence community, the greater New York region, and beyond. The position is located in Bronxville, NY, though the Director will build opportunities that are both in person and on-line.
The Director will work closely with the Writing Institute Coordinator to accomplish the following key responsibilities:
- Developing and implementing strategies to enter new markets and reach new audiences
- Assessing the impact, sustainability, viability and margins of the Writing Institute’s existing portfolio to make recommendations as to which programs should remain and which should be eliminated
- Identifying and building innovative opportunities for revenue growth
- Developing and implementing a financial plan that allows the Writing Institute to be self-sustaining and to contribute to the overall fiscal wellbeing of the College
- Collaborating with Marketing & Communications to develop and implement a strategic marketing plan that is inspired by the College’s mission and vision with the goals of becoming the non-credited Writing Institute of choice in the tri-state area and beyond
- Recruiting, hiring and on-boarding new Writing Institute instructors
- Developing and sustaining community partnerships that support the Writing Institute’s goals and mission.
Key qualifications include:
- Strong entrepreneurial spirit and the ability to independently craft and implement a strategic vision for the Institute
- Unyielding commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Familiarity with the contemporary literary community and successful work with published authors and/or as a published writer
- Ability to work cross-departmentally
- Ability to create and execute a data-driven approach
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree preferred
- For candidates who meet the other qualification criteria, writing experience is a plus
For information on Sarah Lawrence College, our curriculum, teaching methods, and philosophy of education, please visit our web site at http://www.slc.edu.
Sarah Lawrence has as one of its goals the recruitment and retention of a racially and culturally diverse administration, staff, and faculty. To that end, every job opening is seen as an opportunity to increase diversity and every effort will be made to expand the applicant pool in accordance with these goals.
Applicants are asked to submit a curriculum vitae or resume and a cover letter outlining their interests in the position. Position open until filled. Priority consideration will be given to candidates who submit an application by November 30th, 2020.
To apply, visit: https://slc.peopleadmin.com/postings/1419