The best stories are the ones you haven’t heard before. We have an extraordinary new position for someone passionate about great fiction, storytelling and authors! This is the perfect opportunity for an individual who has a desire to lead across multiple imprints, build a team, and make a big impact on the growth of an entire business segment. If you want your next story to be innovative, exciting, and fresh, come tell stories with us at the fiction imprints of Sourcebooks!
Sourcebooks is known for publishing outstanding fiction, and this past year has seen remarkable successes. Several of our authors have hit the New York Times and USA Today bestseller lists, including The Only Woman in The Room by Marie Benedict (instant bestseller and Barnes & Noble Book Club pick), Sold on a Monday by Kristina McMorris (20 weeks), and A Rainbow Above Us by Sharon Sala, plus a #1 Library Reads pick and Target Book Club pick, The 7 ½ Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle by Stuart Turton. Sourcebooks Landmark, our fiction imprint, and Sourcebooks Casablanca, our romance imprint, both experienced growth in 2018, and in 2019 Landmark is up triple-digits. In December 2018, Sourcebooks established a mystery imprint with the acquisition of the award-winning mystery, crime, and horror publisher, Poisoned Pen Press.
This is a new position reporting to the CEO and Publisher that will have responsibility for planning and implementing publicity and marketing strategies, while also managing the marketing and publicity teams across our general fiction, romance, and mystery imprints. We’re particularly interested in a proven leader with demonstrated publicity and communication skills for our extraordinary fiction imprint, Sourcebooks Landmark.
Located in either midtown Manhattan or Naperville, IL, the Director of Marketing & Publicity is responsible for:
- Creating and executing consumer marketing and publicity campaigns for our Sourcebooks Landmark adult fiction imprint (contemporary and historical fiction, thriller, and book club fiction)
- Managing marketing for Poisoned Pen Press (one of America’s legendary mystery imprints)
- Managing and overseeing the team that executes marketing and publicity campaigns for Sourcebooks Casablanca, a top 5 romance imprint
- Cultivating relationships with top media contacts and influencers through one-on-one meetings, trade shows, and other industry events
- Flexing your creative muscles and pushing the edges of innovative communication to attract influencers and readers, alongside a focus on consumer marketing that drives sales (and gets rid of activity that doesn’t work)
- Using data and marketplace performance as a creative and strategic weapon. Our key marketing metric is POS + ebook sales – books in hands is our sole goal – so all activity drives towards impact on readers
- Working closely with authors, editorial, marketing, and sales in order to drive successful title launches and build author brand awareness. Our team is known for being super-friendly, passionate, creative, and not siloed at all – so it’s a lot of fun
- Collaborating with in-house events manager on the planning and execution of multi-city, high-impact book tours that rejects the normal model that is busy-work for you and the author and replaces it with out-of-the-box use of “on the ground time” to move the needle in a long-term, big way
- Managing and mentoring 4 direct reports, including training them to develop strong marketing relationships and execute integrated and strategic marketing campaigns
- Preparing title campaign budgets and tracking seasonal expense projections
This is an incredible opportunity to build the future of fiction at Sourcebooks. We’re looking for a leader with:
- A proven track-record of booking national media, and existing relationships with national and regional media contacts
- A real understanding of how to build a brand and communicate differently about great fiction
- A strategic, innovative, and creative personality with strong business acumen
- Data driven, using POS as a metric of success
- Strong writing and demonstrated ability to juggle multiple projects efficiently
- Experience building a great team and directly managing associate level personnel or above
- A passion for working in and managing a fast-paced, collaborative environment
- 7+ years of experience in publishing, marketing, or public relations experience, preferably focused on fiction, with 3+ years of experience managing a team
Sourcebooks is a company of enthusiastic, book-loving employees who are dedicated to connecting books to readers in new and innovative ways. We create books that transcend categories and defy odds, with hundreds of national bestsellers and awards to show for it. Every day, we are transforming the publishing industry with bold thinking and unprecedented results. Story by story, book by book, we have touched more than 100 million lives. Join us as we strive to change 100 million more.
Come write your next chapter with us!