Position: Director of Development
Location: San Francisco, CA, or in a chapter city (see below)
ABOUT 826 NATIONAL 826: National is the largest youth writing network in the United States, amplifying the impact of writing and publishing centers across the US, along with the words of so many young authors. We serve as an international proof point for writing as a tool for young people to ignite and channel their creativity, explore identity, advocate for themselves and their community, and achieve academic and professional success.
Our National team is comprised of a group of highly collaborative, passionate professionals dedicated to supporting our growing network of chapters and bringing the words of our students and the importance of writing to a national stage. Currently the 826 Network is in nine major US cities: Boston, Chicago, Detroit/Ann Arbor, Los Angeles, Minneapolis/St. Paul, New Orleans, New York City, San Francisco, Washington DC, with approximately 80,000 students participating in free programs provided by our chapters and National. Each chapter provides 5 core programs: after school tutoring, field trips, workshops, young authors book projects, in school programs — all free of charge — for the students, teachers, and school.
826 National seeks a visionary Director of Development to lead the charge in building and implementing a fundraising strategy for the sustained long-term growth of the largest youth writing network in the nation. Highly innovative and entrepreneurial, the ideal candidate brings an approach to fundraising that is about charting new courses in addition to following prescribed paths; and has proven fundraising expertise, integrity, and a passion for elevating and expanding the foundational tenets of the 826 network. This role oversees all aspects of fundraising, managing the communications and development team, and is responsible for raising the current $1.8 Million dollar budget for 826 National, as well as leading a development cohort across the wider network of 826 chapters. This position plays a key role in amplifying the cause of youth writing by working to secure investment from influencers in the education and arts funding community.
Reports to: CEO
Supervises: Communications Director, Corporate & Foundation Relations Manager, and Development AmeriCorps Service Member
Hours: Full time
- Build and lead a multi-year fundraising strategy for 826 National’s next phase of ambitious growth, working lockstep with the Board of Directors and CEO.
- Develop and foster new relationships with corporate, foundation, and individual funding sources.
- Blaze trails to actively and consistently bring new donors into the 826 community; manage a portfolio of high net worth individual and institutional donors.
- Envision and lead major mission-based national initiatives and campaigns, and secure resources to realize those efforts.
- Execute brand strategy, vision, mission, and messaging, leading all collateral creation around grant proposals, project budgets, and reports.
- Strategize and lead team in implementing all fundraising events including house parties, dinners, and larger annual or one-time events.
- Board and network cultivation, culture ambassador both internally and externally.
- Partner with Executive Directors and development colleagues from 826 Network chapters to spearhead nationwide proposals and fundraising initiatives ensuring commitments are fulfilled.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required; Master’s degree preferred
- A flexible, creative, and dynamic spirit who has a demonstrated passion for the mission, vision, and values of 826 National.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills, with the ability and maturity to engage and inspire a wide range of audiences.
- 5+ years of fundraising experience, with a proven record of actively securing six-figure gifts from nationally recognized, high net worth individual donors, foundations, and/or corporations.
- Demonstrated experience working with boards and strategic volunteers.
- Experience working with nonprofit and/or educational organizations and holding fiscal responsibilities; proven track record of maintaining fiscal integrity and budget compliance.
- Ability to direct large-scale projects while effectively managing the work of others.
- Extensive experience using Salesforce, or a comparable database, to track donor giving, and to retrieve and analyze information to advance fundraising efforts.
- Passion for and deep knowledge of the donor moves management process.
- Strength -based approach to team leadership.
The position is open until filled. Final compensation is commensurate with experience.
Comprehensive benefits, including medical, dental, vision care, and retirement, paid holidays, 15 days of annual vacation for the first two years of employment, with increases thereafter.
How to Apply
Please visit https://826national.typeform.com/to/jlVI4s to complete an online application and submit a resume and detailed cover letter highlighting your interest and relevant experience.
826 National is an equal opportunity employer that seeks to hire those representative of the diverse communities we serve. 826 National hires without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, HIV/AIDS status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. All are encouraged to apply.