The PEN/Faulkner Foundation is a nonprofit organization based in Washington, DC that celebrates literature and fosters connections between readers and writers to enrich and inspire individuals and communities. In fulfilling that mission, we run a Writers in Schools program that brings free copies of contemporary works of literature into DC schools and arranges for the authors of those works to visit classrooms; host a series of Literary Conversations that provide opportunities for rich public discourse between artists and members of the DC community; and recognize significant literary achievements nationwide by giving out the PEN/Faulkner Award for Fiction and the PEN/Malamud Award for Excellence in the Short Story.
Our Development, Marketing, and Programs Associate will support PEN/Faulkner’s Executive Director and its Programs and Logistics Director in three key areas: generating revenue for the organization; promoting the organization’s work; and ensuring high-quality public programming. Responsibilities for this full-time, exempt position include the following:
- Maintaining a grants calendar, preparing grant applications, and submitting grant reports in collaboration with PEN/Faulkner staff
- Managing PEN/Faulkner’s donation CRM system (Little Green Light): entering donations, scheduling donor calls, generating reports, and sending receipts and thank you emails
- Tracking PEN/Faulkner’s corporate fundraising efforts
- Providing support for the organization’s annual Gala, including staffing, set-up and break-down, and tracking Gala attendance
- Providing support for the organization’s Founding Friends luncheons, including staffing and tracking/managing renewals
- Managing PEN/Faulkner’s social media channels: creating content for Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter and engaging with audiences
- Implementing marketing plans for PEN/Faulkner events, including (but not limited to) to creation of social media advertisements and the distribution of event collateral
- Providing logistical support for events: booking travel and accommodations, creating itineraries, managing volunteers, and set-up and break-down
Qualified candidates for this position will demonstrate the following:
- Superior writing ability
- Familiarity with social media
- Proficiency with MS Office and Google applications
- Comfort with learning new technical skills
- Careful attention to detail
- Flexibility in a fast-paced work environment
- Ability to organize and prioritize daily and long-term projects and tasks
- Ability to manage information gathered from multiple constituents simultaneously
- Ability to learn from (and own) failures/setbacks
- Extroversion and comfort in engaging with public audiences
The ideal candidate for this position will also have the following experience:
- Writing grant proposals and grant reports
- Managing an organization’s social media presence
- Event planning and management
- Proficiency with Adobe Photoshop (or other graphic design software packages)
- Database management
This position is a full-time position exempt from overtime pay. Salary starts in the mid-30s and includes 10 vacation days, 7 sick days, select paid federal holidays, a retirement account, and flex time.
Start Date: June 1, as circumstances permit.
Send a resume, cover letter, and two professional references to email@example.com with “Development, Marketing, and Programs Associate” in the subject line. References will be contacted only for the final candidates.
Please note: The PEN/Faulkner Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against employees based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual identity, national origin, age, disability, or genetic information.