n+1 Foundation—the Brooklyn-based nonprofit publisher of n+1 magazine, n+1 books, and Paper Monument—is seeking a motivated Development Manager to work full-time in their DUMBO office.
The central responsibility of the Development Manager—the first in n+1’s history—is to lead all aspects of the organization’s fundraising. The Development Manager will oversee n+1’s annual fundraiser (including securing corporate sponsorships, reaching out to donors, and managing the event’s operations), apply for and seek out government and foundation grants, and cultivate new and existing donors, including individuals, trusts, foundations, and corporate sponsors. The Development Manager will also propose and oversee the implementation of new fundraising initiatives to diversify n+1’s fundraising activities. The Manager will work closely with n+1 staff, the Board of Directors, and n+1’s Advisory Board, and will train staff in fundraising methods and revenue expansion, where applicable.
The Development Manager position is full-time, with a competitive annual salary plus medical insurance and dental insurance. This is not an entry-level position. The ideal candidate will have three or more years experience in fundraising and development work, along with exceptional communication and interpersonal skills. They will be self-motivated, organized, and able to complete tasks according to schedules and frameworks they themselves implement.
n+1 is a small, open office of four that values clear, considerate communication and rewards enthusiasm and self-motivation. Ideal applicants will have some familiarity with n+1’s projects and will be excited to participate in the day-to-day work of sustaining a small magazine.
Key responsibilities include:
- Overseeing the organization’s annual fundraiser, including direct outreach to donors and sponsors, and operational responsibility for the event more generally
- Cultivating new donors through direct outreach
- Acquiring new corporate sponsors
- Organizing additional fundraising events, including smaller fundraising evenings, donor gatherings, etc.
- Reapplying for grants n+1 currently receives and locating and applying for new grants appropriate for the organization
- Training n+1 staff on fundraising tools and techniques
- Auditing n+1’s existing fundraising efforts
- Devising a comprehensive action plan for fundraising
- Liaising with n+1 staff, the Board of Directors, and the Advisory Board on fundraising efforts
n+1 is an equal-opportunity employer. We value diversity and do not discriminate against employees or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
To apply, please send a résumé and cover letter to email@example.com.