Words Without Borders seeks a Development Associate to play a key role in supporting its fundraising activities. The position reports to the Executive Director and assists with all aspects of raising institutional and individual support, and provides key support for the organization’s annual gala.
The candidate must be an organized, detail-oriented individual able to manage a wide range of responsibilities while working collaboratively with a small and dynamic team. This is a great opportunity to develop and build upon fundraising skills in support of international literature and cultural understanding. This is a part-time position with room to grow.
- Manage Salesforce database, including gift entry, generating reports, updating constituent information, and creating mailing lists
- Produce and mail gift acknowledgement letters
- Assist with general office management, including scanning, filing, meeting scheduling, and maintaining office supplies
- Opportunity to establish and oversee a development internship
- Draft and coordinate external communications related to fundraising
- Manage an active grants calendar
- Track program statistics and outcomes for grant reporting purposes
- Work with the Executive Director to draft grant reports and requests
- Conduct research on government, corporate, and foundation prospects
- Coordinate and execute email and direct mail appeals
- Communicate with donors and board members
- Coordinate public and private literary events, and play a key role in the planning and execution of the annual Words Without Borders Gala
- Conduct prospect research, create donor profiles, and track relationships of major donors, family foundations and board members
- Bachelor’s degree required. Minimum 2 years relevant work experience, preferably in fundraising
- Excellent computer (Word/Excel) skills and experience with social media and Mail Chimp, knowledge of Photoshop desired
- Prior experience maintaining CRM database, with special consideration given to candidates with Salesforce expertise
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, professionalism, attention to detail, and ability to manage multiple priorities
- Demonstrated success in project management
- Creative, curious, fast learner, and self-starter with demonstrated interest in international literature and cultural exchange
This is a part-time position based out of the WWB office in Brooklyn, NY. Paid time off and holidays are included. Medical benefits are not included. Candidates must have the requisite permission to work in the United States. Words Without Borders is an equal opportunity employer.
Salary range: $20,000-$22,000 DOE
Start date: January 8, 2018
To apply, please send a résumé, 1-2 page writing sample, and a thoughtful cover letter that outlines your relevant skills and how the position aligns with your career goals to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Development Associate” in the subject line. No phone inquiries, please.
Words Without Borders
Founded in 2003, Words Without Borders fosters cultural understanding through the translation, publication, and promotion of the finest contemporary international literature. Our publications and programs open doors for readers of English around the world to the multiplicity of viewpoints, richness of experience, and singular literary perspectives on world events offered by writers in other languages. We connect international writers to the general public, to students and educators, and to publishing houses and media as the primary online location for the global literary conversation.