Mass Poetry seeks a Development Assistant Intern for the Fall 2020 semester (September–December) to supports the Executive Director with Mass Poetry's fundraising efforts. This role has an August start date and has the possibility to extend beyond the Fall 2020 semester. The position requires approximately 5–8 hours per week. A stipend of $350/month is provided.
Mass Poetry believes that words matter. We support poets and poetry in Massachusetts, help to broaden the audience of poetry readers, bring poetry to readers of all ages, and transform people's lives through inspiring verse. From hosting the Massachusetts Poetry Festival to delivering poets into schools for residencies and workshops across the Commonwealth, Mass Poetry reaches thousands of people, young and old, with our innovative poetry programs.
In 2020, Mass Poetry will become an arts-partner-in-residence at the new Center for Creative Writing, founded by GrubStreet at 50 Liberty in Boston's Seaport District. This pioneering initiative will transform 13,000-square feet of retail space into a bookstore, literary stage, workshop space, podcasting studio, and a literary hub for all voices.
Mass Poetry is an equal opportunity employer committed to being a multicultural organization. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are encourage to apply.
Mass Poetry holds events throughout the year, including The Massachusetts Poetry FEstival, An Evening of Inspired Leaders, Student Days of Poetry and the bi-monthly U35 Reading Series. Assistance at all events is required.
Support the Executive Director (ED) in all fundraising activities, which covers a range of projects and responsibilities. Functions include:
- Working with the ED to research new individual, corporate and foundation prospects and seek new funding opportunities
- Assisting in the planning and implementing grant applications and sponsorship requests
- Assisting in the writing of proposals, proofreading, creating supporting documents, and other correspondence
- Processing gifts received from individuals and foundations and managing the acknowledgement process from data entry to mailing out thank you letters
- Helping to proofread/copy edit marketing and event materials
- Providing assistance at Mass Poetry fundraising events
- Completing other tasks for Mass Poetry as needed
The ideal candidate is:
- Able to draft clear, concise communications to present to donors, prospective funders and stakeholders
- Experienced in using Little Green Light or a comparable database
- Experienced in working with Microsoft Office and InDesign
- Able to solve problems quickly and creatively
- Able to multi-task with ease
- An indpendent worker who can meet tight deadlines
- A team player who works well with others
Interested candidates can apply by emailing their resume and cover letter with "Development Intern in the subject to Daniel Johnson at email@example.com.
The application deadline is August 16, 2020. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.