Writers in the Schools (WITS) seeks to hire a Development & Communications Manager to play a key role on our Development team. This position requires a thoughtful, dedicated individual with strong writing and communication skills. WITS is seeking an experienced development professional who takes initiative, can manage multiple projects, meet deadlines, conduct research, plan events, think creatively, connect with volunteers, manage contracts, and work both independently and as part of a team. This position will fuel educational change, bringing creativity and literacy to 65,000 children and teachers annually.
- 3–5 years of development experience at a non-profit or equivalent
- Outstanding writing and communication skills with clear brand messaging
- Proven success writing grants, reports, and work plans, including understanding project budgets
- Demonstrated experience working independently and as part of a team to accomplish project goals
- Experience planning special events and working with volunteers
- Background in relationship management processes, including implementation of acknowledgements for grants and gifts received
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent relevant professional experience
- Effectively and efficiently use Microsoft Office and database applications (Salesforce database experience preferred)
- Work independently and manage workload and deadlines with minimal guidance
- Highly organized and energetic, passionate about creativity in education, and enthusiastic about taking on challenges
- A highly cooperative team member
- Flexibility, attention to detail, and the ability to tell the WITS story in a meaningful and compelling way
- Maintain strict confidentiality about requests and donor information
- Work closely with WITS Executive Director, Director of Development and Community Partnerships, WITS Board, and Development Committee members to ensure the growth of funding potential and promote awareness for WITS
- Write foundation grants, governmental grants, corporate sponsorships, and funder reports
- Design and lead successful fundraising events and campaigns
- Work with staff, a high-profile host committee, the WITS Board Development Committee, and vendors to coordinate and implement an annual gala and auction, as well as ongoing donor events
- Manage projects with interns, board and corporate volunteers, and consultants
- Prepare fundraising materials for all WITS campaigns, including annual fund and corporate solicitations.
- Conduct donor and prospect research
- Maintain donor relations, external communications, and metrics-based reporting
- Manage donation and acknowledgment processes, reconciling regularly with the Accounting Manager
- Assist and support staff and volunteers as required
The Development and Communication Manager reports to the Director of Development and Community Partnerships and the Executive Director. The position is full-time (40 hours/week), with some evening and weekend events, and the position is classified as non-exempt.
WITS offers a competitive compensation package with benefits, including medical, dental, and vision packages, paid vacation and holidays, a generous optional retirement plan, and a fast-paced, collaborative, and friendly work environment. Qualified applicants should submit a cover letter, résumé, and writing sample addressed to Meggie Monahan at email@example.com.