This full-time position is a part of the operations team and reports to the Operations Director. The Communications Specialist is responsible for developing and implementing strategies to strengthen Bookmarks’ brand on a daily basis through marketing, social media, website, graphic design, and media relations. The specialist must understand, represent and advocate Bookmarks’ history, mission, and vision and participate in its work, objectives, development, and accomplishments by serving as a liaison with our marketing agency and with external communications.
Ideal candidates will have marketing, design, and social media experience, strong time management skills as well as the initiative to maintain partnerships in the community. This position also requires an enthusiastic, solutions-driven individual that will celebrate Bookmarks’ mission while operating under our core values of collaboration, community, diversity, and excellence.
This position is expected to work 40 hours/week between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 6 p.m. with occasional nights and weekends based on programming and meetings.
Candidates should email: cover letter, resume with three references listed, and writing and design samples (10 pages max) to Cailey Neuschaefer, Office and Volunteer Specialist, at email@example.com. Interviews to begin in early February.
- Develop and implement marketing strategies including (but not limited to): advertising, social media, and media outreach
- Design and curate event, mission, and brand specific graphics across all mediums
- Maintain Bookmarks’ website, including updating content and troubleshooting. No web development experience needed
- Coordinate and compile information for PowerPoint projects, photo collections, and production with outside marketing agency
- Seek support from community stakeholders
- Write and regularly update event calendars for marketing purposes
- Arrange all Festival specific promotion annually
- Implement social media plan and increase digital outreach efforts
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, public relations, or a related field, plus two to five years of experience in marketing
- Demonstrated success in building relationships with a diverse range of constituents and ability to work on a team towards a common goal
- Excellent communication skills: telephone, email, writing, and in-person communication skills with comfort speaking publicly
- Strong graphic design capabilities
- Organized with attention to detail; ability to prioritize and multitask within a fast paced environment
- Dependable, reliable, honest, and trustworthy, with high ethical standards
- Genuine enthusiasm and passion for books and Bookmarks’ nonprofit mission
- Willingness to learn and become aware of book industry news and trends and provide in-store book recommendations
- Availability to work some special events on nights and weekends.
Salary and Benefits:
The salary for this position will range from $28,000–$32,000 and is based on qualifications and experience. It will be a non-exempt hourly position. After a 90-day training period, Bookmarks provides partial payment toward health and dental insurance, life insurance, as well as 18 PTO/holidays annually.
Equal opportunity employer