Teachers & Writers Collaborative Inc. (T&W) was founded in 1967 with the belief that professional writers could make a unique contribution to the teaching of writing and literature. T&W seeks to educate the imagination by offering innovative creative writing programs for students and teachers, and by providing a variety of publications and resources to support learning through the literary arts. T&W programs include creative writing workshops for youth, art workshops seniors, teacher training, managing the NYS Poetry Out Loud competition, and publishing Teachers & Writers Magazine and other resources for teaching creative writing. Learn more about our programs at twc.org.
We seek one person to fill two unique roles at T&W: Communications Manager and Poetry Out Loud Manager. As the Communications Manager, you will direct and develop communications aimed at increasing T&W’s visibility and engaging our various audiences. This includes designing marketing and promotional materials, crafting fundraising letters, managing our web presence, and representing the organization at public events.
As Poetry Out Loud Manager, you will oversee program coordination in New York. Poetry Out Loud (POL) is a national poetry recitation competition for high school students, founded by the NEA and Poetry Foundation. T&W manages the New York State competition, in partnership with the New York State Council on the Arts. As POL manager, you will be the main point of contact for program participants, coordinating regional and state level events and program activities. The bulk of program activity occurs between October and March.
Although we may consider exceptional candidates without all of the following qualifications, the ideal candidate would have 5+ years’ experience in a program management or marketing and communications role. Strong writing skills are essential.
Essential Job Functions
- Work with staff to develop and implement strategies to improve organizational visibility and public relations activities, including developing and printing marketing materials, newsletters, and fundraising appeals.
- Maintain T&W mailing list using Network for Good database
- Work with staff and editorial board to maintain and manage content for the twc.org and teachersandwritersmagazine.org websites; serve as primary contact for redesign of teachersandwritersmagazine.org website.
- Manage and develop content for social network profiles including Instagram, Facebook and Twitter.
- Track communications data
Poetry Out Loud
- Serve as primary point of contact for program participants: including providing support for registration and regular communications with participants.
- Engage in outreach and marketing efforts: preparing marketing materials and conducting outreach campaign.
- Work with our regional partners to coordinate regional competitions.
- Coordinate the state final competition.
- Preparing materials for regional competitions and the state final.
- Coordinate POL writing workshops.
- Maintain the POL page on T&W’s website; post POL-related content on T&W’s social media platforms
General Staff Support
- Supervise T&W intern on communications and POL projects
- Coordinate meetings and events
- Source and order supplies
- Provide general administrative support, as needed
- BA/BS Degree
- Five years of experience in a professional, preferably non-profit, environment
- Exceptional writing and proofreading skills
- Demonstrated excellence in organizational skills and attention to detail; ability to help drive projects to completion and multi-task
- Demonstrated analytical and critical thinking skills. Ability to use good judgment, take initiative and make recommendations in resolving problems and provide guidance to staff
- Proficient in Excel
- Experience with WordPress, social media platforms
- Experience with Network for Good or similar email building app (eg. Mailchimp or Constant Contact)
- Experience with Adobe Photoshop and InDesign or similar tools, a plus
- Knowledge of, or experience in, online fundraising and marketing is a plus
Other preferred characteristics
- Eagerness to learn
- Able to thrive in a highly collaborative environment
- Creative and compelling storyteller
- Flexible and a sense of humor
- Scrappy and resourceful
- Self-starter, able to take initiative and bring new ideas to the table
- Responsive to direction and feedback
- Passion for the literary arts and education
Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, subject line: Communications Manager.
No phone calls please.
Teachers & Writers Collaborative offers a competitive salary and benefits, commensurate with experience and skills. Salary range for this position: $50 – $55,000, negotiable, including benefits.
Teachers & Writers Collaborative is an equal opportunity employer.