College Transitions is an independent consulting firm committed to guiding students to and through higher education. We believe that the college admissions process is not an end, but a means to self-discovery, growth, and fulfillment. We aim to bring perspective (and some sanity) to college planning and we strive to provide our students with the comprehensive, data-driven advice they need to enroll and succeed at good-fit colleges and universities.
Currently, College Transitions is seeking to hire several remote, part-time College Essay Coaches to guide our students through the college essay writing process for the 2023-24 academic year.
College Essay Coaches correspond with students via phone, email, and/or video chat (e.g., Zoom, Google Hangouts, FaceTime, etc.), while providing suggestions and feedback for each of their college application/admission essays. Essay Coaches are assigned to individual students (not individual essays) and are responsible for helping them draft authentic and well-written responses that reflect what they can contribute to their prospective schools.
The ideal candidate will possess a college admissions and/or college counseling background, as well as prior essay tutoring/coaching experience.
College Essay Coaches must:
- Be able to provide approximately 10-15 hours of essay coaching to each assigned student over the course of the admissions cycle.
- Be comfortable working with students and families in a remote capacity, and have access to a video chat platform.
- Be able to provide thorough feedback within 48 hours of receiving an essay, including and especially during the height of the college admission cycle (October-January).
- Be willing to adhere to the Principles of Good Practice as outlined by the National Association for College Admission Counseling.
- Be willing to commit to a full admissions cycle (May 2023-March 2024).
- Hold a Bachelor’s degree or higher.
College Essay Coaches are paid per hour and are responsible for providing coaching support for all of the student’s application/admission essays. Rates for the 2023-24 admission cycle are currently set at $50/hour. Typically, our Essay Coaches work with approximately 3-5 students, occasionally more or less, depending upon their availability and the demand for our services.
Interested candidates should send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.