Carve Magazine is seeking applicants for part-time volunteer classroom ambassador position. The classroom ambassador must have (or be willing to acquire) an extensive knowledge of our short story archives. The ambassador’s responsibilities involve two distinct but connected areas: S/he will manage the Carve online writing classes and community on the Wet Ink platform; and s/he will also help expand Carve’s educational outreach in collaboration with the publisher, editor-in-chief, and others. Because the classroom ambassador may perform these duties remotely, the successful applicant will have excellent organizational and communication skills, as well as the ability to work independently and self-motivate.
The classroom ambassador will be expected to tap into local and social networks to highlight our educational offerings and encourage others to read, submit, and subscribe to the magazine. Therefore, a highly visible social media presence is ideal.
Responsibilities may include:
Online Writing Classes
- Manage ongoing enrollment of Carve’s online self-paced writing classes on the Wet Ink platform, including registering participants and promptly archiving classes when completed.
- Serve as moderator in Carve’s community space on Wet Ink.
Educational Tools And Resources
- Solicit designated educators to develop new lesson plans based on Carve short stories (please note this is different than the online classes offered via Wet Ink).
- Collaborate with educators on lesson plan materials, providing edits and feedback, when necessary.
- Post and promote new lesson plans when completed.
- Answer queries and fulfill requests for discounted bulk orders of back issues.
- Assist publisher and editor-in-chief with developing campaigns and outreach to promote and raise awareness of Carve’s educational tools and resources.
The ideal candidate will have:
- At least a bachelor’s degree or currently enrolled in a program working towards a degree in literature, creative writing, or education.
- At least 1 year experience volunteering for a literary or educational organization.
- Experience with Wet Ink platform.
- Experience with Squarespace or similar web content management system.
- Ability to self-motivate and meet strict deadlines consistently.
- Familiarity with Carve’s aesthetic and publication history.
- Passion for fulfilling Carve’s mission statement.
This is a VOLUNTEER position. Hourly commitment is expected to average 5 hours/week. Visit https://www.carvezine.com/volunteer to apply.