We are looking for a COO (Chief Operating Officer) to oversee and grow all aspects of our iconic world-renowned bookstore. This includes developing and maintaining an overall strategic vision for the company that inspires a culture of exceptional customer service and continuous improvement. You will be the company's second-in-command and responsible for the efficiency of the business. We need a passionate book-lover who has an active knowledge of the independent book selling industry. Someone who understands the retail world and can anticipate trends and identify solutions that support Strand as a historical destination bookstore.
Our COO will maintain a profitable operation that helps our company grow and thrive using the epitome of good business sense: someone who sustains strong sales with a focus on profitability, cost controls and brand stewardship. You should be a thoughtful leader and a confident decision-maker who can develop, challenge and champion leaders. You should be capable of implementing the store's mission and goals, and enabling the store management team and staff to successfully overcome challenges as they arise.
The COO will work closely with the Owner/CEO to draft the store's operating budget, goals and objectives, and plan significant business decisions prior to implementation. We want an inventive person who will build on the success of our independent bookstores through progressive thinking.
- Provide visible leadership to management and employees while generating a store atmosphere focused on great hospitality where the expectations of the customers are exceeded.
- Embody a professional demeanor and a high level of character, honesty and integrity in conducting the business affairs of the store; inspire all team members to do the same.
- Respond to customer and employee concerns, both written and verbal, with the ability to creatively solve problems an ddevelop robust solutions. Personally contacts customers as appropriate.
- Be responsible for achieving financial objectives of the business. Manage and report store sales and profitability. Monitor trends and analyze data to identify necessary changes.
- Oversee daily operations of the company and the work of our executive team (Marketing, Sales, Finance, HR, IT, Inventory, etc.).
- Stay alert to competitive practices that could have an impact on business.
What we'd like to see:
- People oriented: A leader who enjoys working with others and is a positive force among their team.
- The ability to lead, motivate, train and develop people to unleash the talent within each employee.
- BSc/BA in Business Administration or a relevent field is a plus.
- Five years supervisory experience in a bookstore or relevant retail environment.
- Proficient planning and analytical skills (i.e. understanding the calculations on the P&L, coverage ratio, budget & expense report, etc.) to achieve positive financial results.
- Exhibit excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work flexible hours including nights, weekends and some holidays.
- Excited to work an energetic 50 hour workweek.
- Proficient computer skills.
- Strong influencing and collaboration skills. Emotional intelligence and a focus on team building.
- A tactful person who can maintain confidentiality.
- Must love books!
With us, you'll enjoy:
- Competitive salary and annual bonus opportunity
- Medical, dental, vision insurance
- Paid time off
Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, or genetic information.