Not everyone was meant to be on the front lines tagging lions or cleaning streams in their pursuit of helping the environment. Just as important are those behind the scenes who help share information necessary for professionals, academics, and the general public to be better informed about the world around them. At Island Press, you can use your keen attention to detail, love of the written word, and desire to help the environment as a Production Assistant. You will be able to learn real-world skills necessary for success in the production department of a publishing house, as well as the inner workings of an environmental non-profit organization.
The Production Assistant will assist the team to usher books through to the final product, serving as the liaison between Island Press and our printers and e-book vendors, and coordinating the e-book program. The Production Assistant will also attend and participate in meetings with the Editorial and Marketing teams to collaborate on the manufacturing specs for various titles, as well as to coordinate the reprinting of titles.
The Production Assistant is an extra-budgetary, grant-funded position. At this time, resources are available to fund this position through August 31, 2020.
- Maintains vendor relationships with printer vendors, e-book conversion houses, and distribution vendors, in order to create a smooth work flow.
- Reviews complete book bluelines/digital proofs for accuracy of press preparation; reviews advance copies of new books and reprints for quality and accuracy.
- Coordinates conversion of electronic files into all formats, shepherds ePub files through the internal approval process, and submits to various vendors.
- Updates in-house book database (Title Management Module) at various stages of the production process and maintains accuracy of information.
- Performs administrative duties for the Production department (requests for estimates/payment to vendors, note-taking, etc.).
- Education or experience in a related field, or in a similar or subordinate role.
- Familiarity or interest in nonprofit organizations, publishing, or environmental issues. Preference given to candidates with one to two years of experience with the production process.
- Ability to manage multiple concurrent projects with a strong attention to detail in a fast-paced environment.
- A demonstrated ability to work with people who are different from you.
- Ability to commute daily to the Washington, DC office.
Compensation & Benefits:
- $17.50 hourly wage
- Casual dress code
- Limited flexible scheduling
- Subsidized healthcare insurance
- Dental and vision insurance
- Life, short-term and long-term disability insurance
- Flexible spending accounts for medical and dependent care expenses
- Retirement plan
- Pre-tax commuting benefits and free Capital Bikeshare membership
- Annual leave: vacation, sick, and personal
- Free membership to on-site fitness center
- Employee discount on Island Press titles
Island Press is an equal employment opportunity employer that is committed to promoting a workplace as diverse as the environment it is committed to protecting. We encourage applications from qualified individuals regardless of race, color, national origin, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, political association, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
To apply, please submit a cover letter detailing why this position speaks to you personally and mention any experience you may have had with proofreading, copyediting, and/or the Chicago Manual of Style. Also include a résumé of your past work and/or volunteer experiences, highlighting your accomplishments. Send application materials to email@example.com with the subject “Production Assistant.” No calls, please.
Recruiting will continue until the position is filled.