Carve Magazine is seeking applicants for part-time volunteer blog editor position. The blog editor, with input from the publisher and editor-in-chief, will curate and develop content for the blog by soliciting posts and articles from volunteer writers. They will also work periodically with the genre editors to coordinate and publish quarterly Q&As with our magazine contributors. Because the blog editor may perform these duties remotely, the successful applicant will have excellent organizational and communication skills, as well as the ability to work independently and self-motivate.
The blog editor will also be expected to serve as an ambassador for Carve, tapping into local and social networks to highlight our offerings and encourage others to read, submit, and subscribe to the magazine. Therefore, a highly visible social media presence is ideal.
Responsibilities may include:
- Actively solicit volunteers to write blog posts on a number of topics, including but not limited to: Tips for Writers; Books, Magazines, and Authors; and Carve news and updates.
- Review blog post submissions and determine whether to publish or decline, sending curated feedback to declined submissions when appropriate.
- Collaborate with writers to improve and edit blog posts before publication, if necessary.
- Solicit volunteers to write blog reviews of published books from former Carve contributors.
- Copyedit all blog posts before publication, including quarterly Q&A with contributors.
- Find images and create logline and social media teasers for each blog post.
- Moderate comments and actively engage with commenters on blog.
- Evaluate metrics of blog post visits and popularity to inform and curate topics for future posts.
- Write occasional Carve-centric posts that feature new staff and announce latest news and updates.
- Maintain archives and update blog categories, authors, and tags as needed.
The ideal candidate will have:
- At least a bachelor’s degree or currently enrolled in a program working towards a degree in literature, creative writing, or publishing.
- At least 1 year experience serving on a reading committee or editorial board.
- Experience with Submittable platform.
- Experience with Squarespace or similar web content management system.
- Ability to self-motivate and meet strict deadlines consistently.
- Ability to curate feedback.
- Familiarity with Carve’s aesthetic and publication history.
- Passion for fulfilling Carve’s mission statement.
This is a VOLUNTEER position. Hourly commitment is variable, up to 5 hours/week. Visit https://www.carvezine.com/volunteer to apply.