Apollo Publishers is seeking a motivated Associate Editor with prior publishing experience.
Apollo Publishers is an exciting young publishing house specializing in adult trade nonfiction (narrative and illustrated) with a timely and topical bend. The Associate Editor will be involved in all stages of the editorial process and must be able to thrive as a member of a small team.
Job responsibilities will or may include:
- Hands-on editing and writing
- Preparing manuscripts for production and reviewing proofs
- Tracking and researching comp titles, sales, and marketing points
- Social media posting
- Pitching and developing book ideas
- Reviewing book proposals
- Author coaching
- Front and back list title support
- Newsletter development
- Metadata management
- Bachelor's degree
- At least 2 years prior book publishing experience
- Ability to work full business hours with days in a Manhattan office
- Experience with writing and editing
- A strong interest in adult trade nonfiction
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word
- Regular consumer of news and media
- Positive attitude/team player
- Excellent communication skills, in-person, phone, and email
The ideal candidate will have:
- A bachelor's degree in writing, journalism, or English
- A certificate from a publishing course and/or MFA in writing or master's in journalism degrees are benefits, but not required
- Experience managing a professional social media account
- Copyediting and/or proofreading experience
- Knowledge of Chicago Manual guidelines
Apollo Publishers was conceived of in 2016 by two publishing industry veterans. It published its first title in March 2018 and has regularly published books since then. It will publish approximately 15 books in 2023. Its books are carefully chosen and its list well-curated. Distribution into all major retail and specialty sales channels nationwide is by Ingram Publisher Services and Two Rivers; ebook editions are created in-house and also distributed through IPS and Two Rivers. Audio and foreign language editions are sold via subrights.
Apollo Publishers prides itself on being an exciting new addition to the mostly staid publishing world and having proven itself to be nimble and effective. We value editorial excellence and believe every book deserves individual attention and a chance to shine.
To apply for this position, please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.