Applications accepted through November 30, 2022
The Office of the Inspector General (Office) is seeking candidates who are passionate about enhancing public confidence in government, ensuring accountability, and promoting the best interests of the people of the Commonwealth in the use of public funds and property. We value our employees and offer benefits that support their lives and well-being, while promoting an environment focused on inclusion, flexibility, professional growth, trust and respect.
Working in a collaborative and inclusive team environment, the successful candidate will report to the First Assistant Inspector General and will support all the divisions in the Office. The Associate Editor position is a part-time, temporary role. The successful candidate will make at least a 3-month commitment, with the opportunity to extend the engagement.
- Reviewing and revising reports and other content for quality and readability, including spelling, grammar, formatting and syntax.
- Ensuring correct tone, voice, clarity, flow and structure of the agency’s reports and other major content, keeping the audience in mind.
- Communicating and working with diverse teams to ensure that reports and other content are published in a timely manner.
Key abilities, skills and experience:
- Detailed oriented, with the ability to manage multiple projects and consistently meet deadlines.
- Strong writing skills and proofreading skills.
- Ability to give constructive feedback.
- At least 1 year of proven work experience as a publication editor, copy editor, writer, writing tutor or similar role.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office.
Other valued abilities, skills and experience include:
- A bachelor’s degree in journalism or English.
- Some graduate education in journalism or English.
- Bilingual abilities.
- Experience writing on a deadline.
Work location and schedule:
This role is fully remote. The successful candidate needs to work at least 15 hours per week, with the ability to work up to 37.5 hours per week. The days and hours worked each week are at the discretion of the successful candidate, although at least a portion of the hours must be during normal business hours of 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, to accommodate meetings with other Office employees.
Pay: $20 - $25/hour
How to Apply:
Submit cover letter and resume via email or by mail by November 30, 2022 to:
Mary Beth Farrelly, Chief Financial Officer
Office of the Inspector General
One Ashburton Place, Room 1311
Boston, MA 02108
Please Note: Because we value the health and safety of our employees, all Office employees (absent an approved medical or religious accommodation) must be fully vaccinated, including a booster, against COVID-19. Before their first day of work, the successful candidate will need to provide proof of full vaccination (two doses of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine plus a booster dose of either or one dose of the Johnson and Johnson vaccine plus a booster dose of either the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine) or a request for a reasonable accommodation based on a valid medical or religious reason.
Mary Beth Farrelly
The Office of the Inspector General is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to creating and supporting a diverse and inclusive work and educational community that is free of all forms of discrimination. The Office does not tolerate discrimination or harassment on the basis of age, color, disability, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, parental status, political affiliation, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or veteran status. The Office promotes access, inclusion and diversity for all staff, believing that these qualities are foundational components of an outstanding working environment and in keeping with its mission. The Office actively seeks to increase the diversity of its workforce and is interested in candidates whose experience and qualifications support an ongoing commitment to this core quality.