Poets & Writers Magazine is an award-winning bimonthly magazine for the creative writing community. The leading journal of its kind, it enjoys a readership of 100,000 and a robust online presence. It is published by Poets & Writers, a nonprofit organization formed in 1970 to help creative writers and the literary community nationwide.
The associate editor is a key member of the editorial team and is responsible for providing vital editorial support for our flagship publication, Poets & Writers Magazine, and our website, pw.org. The associate editor reports to the editor in chief. This is a full-time position in our New York City office. Annual salary: $50,000; good benefits package including health insurance and ample paid time-off. (Please note that we are currently working remotely but expect to return to the office in spring 2022.)
• Assigning, editing, and/or writing articles and essays for the News and Trends department of each issue, as well as researching and soliciting artwork and photographs for the section.
• Preparing online content associated with News and Trends articles, including Page One audio recordings and extended Q&As, for each issue’s web close.
• Planning, assigning, editing, posting, and promoting weekly installments of online series, including Craft Capsules, Ten Questions, and Agents & Editors Recommend.
• Contributing to the writing of G&A: The Contest Blog; helping to maintain Prize Reporter Twitter feed.
• Editing occasional articles, essays, and interviews for the Literary Life, Practical Writer, and Feature departments of Poets & Writers Magazine.
• Contributing articles, essays, and interviews to the magazine and website as needed.
• Reading and evaluating submissions.
• Assisting in the fact-checking of articles.
Qualifications and Experience:
• At least three years of experience editing for print and/or online magazines.
• Excellent journalistic writing, developmental editing, and communication skills.
• Strong computer skills, especially in InDesign, Photoshop, and Drupal content management.
• Highly organized with attention to detail, ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines.
• Familiarity with Chicago Manual of Style.
• Proficiency with social media (Twitter, Facebook).
• Familiarity with literary community and interest in contemporary literature.
• Professional, cooperative, enthusiastic attitude.
Please send résumé and cover letter via e-mail (“Associate Editor” in the subject line) to: Kevin Larimer, Editor in Chief, firstname.lastname@example.org. Attachments must be .doc or .pdf; other file types will not be opened. No calls, please.
Poets & Writers is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a building a diverse and inclusive staff. Individuals from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply, including veterans and those with disabilities.
About Poets & Writers: Poets & Writers is the nation’s leading nonprofit serving creative writers. Founded in 1970, the organization marked its 50th Anniversary in 2020. It is respected and trusted as the primary source of information, support, and guidance for poets, fiction writers, and creative nonfiction writers. As we begin our sixth decade, our vision is that Poets & Writers will empower writers and strengthen literary communities throughout the United States.
Our mission is to foster the professional development of poets and writers, to promote communication throughout the literary community, and to help create an environment in which literature can be appreciated by the widest possible public.
We advance this mission through our flagship publication, Poets & Writers Magazine; pw.org, a website that provides trustworthy advice, information, and a lively online community for writers; the Readings & Workshops Program, which pays writers fees for giving readings and leading workshops throughout New York and California, as well as in eight cities outside those states; Poets & Writers Live; and awards for writers including the Jackson Poetry Prize and the Maureen Egen Writers Exchange Award.
We are guided by our core values: service, inclusivity, integrity, and excellence. Poets & Writers is committed to becoming an antiracist organization. Learn more at pw.org.