Goshen College invites applications for a full-time Assistant or Associate Professor of English to teach literature and writing courses beginning in August 2019. Candidates with one or more of the following specialties preferred: Global Anglophone, World Literature, Multi-Ethnic literatures, British literature, American literature before 1900, or Shakespeare. Experience teaching Creative Writing, especially fiction, is also desirable.
- Prepare course syllabi for assigned courses in collaboration with department chair and GC Core director
- Teach assigned courses with appropriate active and engaged learning practices
- Work with Junior and Senior English Seminar students
- Mentor students through advising and recruiting activities
- Participate in department, school and college meetings
- Pursue appropriate professional development opportunities, including scholarly activities
- Complete other duties as assigned
Education and Experience:
- PhD required (dissertation completed by August 2019)
- Demonstrated excellence in teaching at the college/university level
- Interest in thematic areas for interdisciplinary teaching: for example, gender, race, ethnicity, the environment, social justice, media studies, or performance studies
- Commitment to teaching in the CORE, including interdisciplinary courses outside of English
- Commitment to working with diverse populations
- Commitment to the mission and core values of Goshen College
- Collaboration, innovation, and dedication to undergraduate teaching in an inclusive academic and campus community
- Excellent aptitude and ability in teaching
- Mentorship of student research
- Active engagement in research and publishing
- Public speaking, public relations, and technology
- Interest in community collaboration and service
- Ability to establish positive working relationships with colleagues and students
- Desire to contribute knowledge and ideas to department and college endeavors
- Experience in a developing world context related to their field of study
- Experience teaching diverse college students
- Scholarly publications
About Goshen College:
Goshen College is an affordable, nationally-ranked Christian liberal arts college in Northern Indiana known for leadership in intercultural and international education, sustainability and social justice. The college offers bachelor’s degrees in more than 65 areas of study, as well as select graduate degrees. Goshen enrolls approximately 950 students from 35 states and 23 countries and is recognized for its innovative, life-changing study abroad program (Study-Service Term) and exceptional educational value. The 135-acre tree-filled campus features a world-class Music Center and a Rec-Fitness Center for 14 intercollegiate athletic teams. The extended campus includes a 1,189-acre natural sanctuary (the Merry Lea Environmental Learning Center near Wolf Lake, Ind.) and a marine biology lab in the Florida Keys. Rooted in the historically peaceful Mennonite church and established in 1894, the college’s Christ-centered mission produces passionate learners, compassionate peacemakers, global citizens and servant leaders. The college’s doors are open to all, with students from 40 different Christian denominations and several world religions. Experiential learning, faculty mentors and strong friendships are significant community strengths for students.
The college is located in the heart of Elkhart County in Northern Indiana, just a couple of hours from Chicago, Indianapolis and Detroit. Goshen was named the 2017 Indiana Community of the Year by the Indiana Chamber of Commerce for its amazing arts and entertainment, food scene, recreational opportunities, outstanding schools, affordable living, cultural diversity and entrepreneurial spirit. Learn more at goodofgoshen.com.
How to apply:
Go to: www.goshen.edu/employment.