Bemidji State University invites applications for the position of: Assistant Professor of English.
Opening Date: November 25, 2019
Closing Date: January 21, 2020
Appointment Date: August 2020
Salary: Depends on Qualifications
Job Type: Full-Time Probationary
- The applicant would be expected to teach courses that would include, but are not limited to, undergraduate and graduate courses in creative writing, first and second year college writing and other courses in the applicant’s secondary fields of interest.
- Contribute to a program of scholarship within the discipline, student advising, service to the University and community, and other associated faculty duties.
- The applicant would be expected to contribute to interdisciplinary teaching and involvement in activities that support Bemidji State University's signature themes: Environmental stewardship, Civic engagement, Global/Multicultural Understanding.
- The successful applicant will be expected to contribute to a collegial and supportive environment that advances the goals of the department, including curriculum development, assessment, and other departmental governance activities.
- Earned MFA or PhD in creative writing poetry or closely related field from a regionally accredited institution at the start of employment.
- Record of significant poetry publication.
- Experience teaching English at the college level.
- Demonstrated commitment to quality teaching is required.
- Secondary interest and/or experience in creative nonfiction or publishing.
- Experience or interest in teaching copyediting and/or proofreading.
- Skills/ability to design and deliver online courses with Desire To Learn (D2L) software.
- The applicant should demonstrate a knowledge of and interest in diverse cultures and populations.
- The applicant must be able to lawfully accept employment in the United States at the time of an offer of employment.
- Persons writing letters of references should be advised of Minnesota's open record law, which can make such letters available to applicants upon request.
- Official transcript(s) must be provided to Human Resources upon hire.
- Employment for this position is covered by the collective bargaining agreement for the InterFaculty Organization (IFO) which can be found at https://www.ifo.org/contract-benefits/contract/contract-settlement-15-17/
- Bemidji State University is a tobacco free workplace (see policy)
- In accordance with the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities (MnSCU) Vehicle Fleet Safety Program, faculty and staff driving on college/university business, who use a rental or state vehicle, shall be required to complete a vehicle Use Agreement form and conform to MnSCU's vehicle use criteria and consent to a motor vehicle records check.
- BSU and NTC are tobacco free workplaces (see policy)
Fax: (218) 755-2822
A complete application will include the following attachments:
- Cover letter, which addresses the required qualifications and your specific interest in working at Bemidji State University.
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae.
- Unofficial transcript(s) of undergraduate and graduate coursework.
- Three (3) letters of recommendation submitted to Search Advisory Committee Chair Dr. Gary Rees; see Dr. Rees’s email and campus address below.
Dr. Gary Rees, Search Committee Chair
Assistant Professor of English
Bemidji State University Box 16
1500 Birchmont Drive NE
Bemidji MN 56601-2699
For emails, use subject heading Creative Writing Poetry Position.
Join our university community!
Bemidji State University, located amid the lakes and forests of northern Minnesota, occupies a wooded campus along the shore of Lake Bemidji. The city of Bemidji has a population of 14,000 and serves as a regional commerce and health care center for about 130,000 residents of north-central Minnesota. Bemidji State enrolls more than 5,100 students and offers more than 80 undergraduate majors and eight graduate degrees encompassing arts, sciences and select professional programs. BSU is a member of the Minnesota State system of colleges and universities and has a faculty and staff of more than 600. The university's Shared Fundamental Values include environmental stewardship, civic engagement and international and multicultural understanding. For more, visit www.bemidjistate.edu or find us at BemidjiState on most of your favorite social media networks.
Bemidji State University is an Affirmative Action Equal Opportunity Employer and Educator. This document is available in alternative formats to individuals with disabilities. Consumers with hearing or speech disabilities may contact us via their preferred Telecommunications Relay Service.