The Georgia State University Department of English and Creative Writing Program seeks to make a tenure-track appointment at the rank of Assistant Professor for a specialist in in Creative Writing/Creative Nonfiction with a secondary focus in Creative Writing/Poetry.
The Georgia State University Department of English and Creative Writing Program offers the PhD, MFA, and BA in Creative Writing. The successful candidate will join a thriving Creative Writing Program (Poets & Writers ranked the PhD in the top 15 in the US) and teach undergraduate and graduate courses in Creative Writing/Creative Nonfiction and Creative Writing/Poetry, direct theses and dissertations, and contribute to the development of our nascent Creative Writing/Creative Nonfiction concentration. Normal teaching load is 2/2. More information about the Department of English and the Creative Writing program can be found here: https://english.gsu.edu/.
- MFA or PhD in Creative Writing or a related field at the time of appointment
- At least one book of creative nonfiction published or in-press, or a number of essays comparable to a book published in print and/or online magazines or journals with national visibility
- Poetry publications in print and/or online magazines or journals with national visibility
- Experience teaching at the college or university level
- Evidence of a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion in the classroom and with colleagues
Applications received by October 1, 2019 will be given full consideration. Please submit the following to Professor Josh Russell, Chair, Hiring Committee, care of firstname.lastname@example.org:
- A letter of application that describes teaching experience and professional work, and includes a reflection on the candidate's potential to contribute to a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment through teaching, research, and/or service
- Three (3) letters of recommendation
As the search progresses, we may request additional materials. We will conduct preliminary interviews via Skype. Finalists will be invited for campus visits in early 2020.
The Georgia State University Department of English and the Creative Writing Program have demonstrated success in developing a diverse faculty, and we are especially interested in candidates from underrepresented groups as well as individuals who have experience in working with diverse student populations. Georgia State University is an AA/EEO employer committed to building an inclusive community where members from all backgrounds can live, learn, and thrive together and does not discriminate against applicants due to race, ethnicity, gender, veteran status, or on the basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class. GSU is a unit of the University System of Georgia. An offer of employment will be conditional upon background verification.