DeSales University's Department of Humanities, housed in the Division of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences, invites applications for a full-time non-tenure position as Assistant Professor of English to begin August 2022.
The candidate should have either, or both of:
- A completed PhD in contemporary or modern literature in English. ABDs will be considered only with degree in hand by June of 2022.
- An MFA in Creative Writing with publication in one or more of the following: fiction, poetry, creative non-fiction. MFAs in progress will be considered only with degree completion by June of 2022.
Applicants must have broad familiarity with contemporary English language writers in fiction, poetry and creative non-fiction throughout the United States, Canada, Ireland and Scotland.
Previous academic administrative experience is desirable, as well as a record of university teaching and study and/or travel in Ireland/Scotland/Canada.
Responsibilities include teaching two undergraduate courses per semester in creative writing, journalism, literature, or composition, in addition to directing the MFA in Creative Writing and Publishing. Duties of the Director in addition to those mentioned above include:
- Scheduling two residencies each year, one on campus in January and one in Ireland, Scotland or Canada in the first week of August. This includes scheduling lodging, food and travel arrangements for MFA students and mentors, and booking guest lecturers in all three genres, as well as publishing professionals from the host country and arranging their travel.
- Preparing and scheduling two practicum semesters and one thesis semester per year.
- Regular meetings and communication with the fiction and poetry mentors of the program.
- Student recruitment within and beyond DeSales, including periodic meetings with PR/Marketing to promote the program.
- Serving on the Academic Affairs Graduate Council.
- Producing the program’s annual report and annual budget.
In addition, the faculty member will be expected to maintain an active program of scholarship and professional development, and engage in service to the University.
The Department seeks a faculty member who:
- is rooted in research-based instructional practices,
- enjoys teaching undergraduate students, and
- respects the Catholic, Salesian mission of the university.
This is a non-tenure full-time position. The successful applicant can take advantage of extended long-term contracts with the possibility of conversion to tenure in the future.
Review of applications will begin on November 5, 2021. Applications need to be complete to be considered for review. Please submit a cover letter outlining your interest in and qualification for the position, a diversity and inclusion statement*, curriculum vitae, three professional letters of reference, and photocopies of all transcripts (official transcripts will be required, if hired) to:
Search Committee for Assistant Professor of English/Director of the MFA
c/o Ms. Maryanne Charlton
Division of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences
2755 Station Avenue
Center Valley, PA 18034-9568
Electronic submissions should be emailed to Maryanne.Charlton@desales.edu. In the subject line of the email, please only include your Last Name – English/MFA.
*As a Catholic, Salesian institution committed to creating and enhancing our diverse and inclusive campus environment, we request applicants to submit a diversity & inclusion statement: please share in one page or less, how you will add value to our diversity, equity and inclusion commitment at DeSales University by articulating examples of action based on incorporating diverse and inclusive practices in your professional engagements.