This position coordinates author management from project transmittal to print and production for University Press and all aspects of printing and e-Book production of all University Press imprints including Cincinnati Library Publishing Services. This position also reports to the Director of University Press.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for timely project management of editorial, proofreading, and indexing activities for assigned print, digital, and online books and projects from manuscript transmittal to final printer and e-Book files.
- Create and maintain project production schedules.
- Establish contact with author at project assignment and maintain contact through production cycle to ensure timely publication of projects.
- Schedule and coordinate book production dates with author’s freelancers and manufacturing suppliers.
- Responsible for overall quality of editing, proofreading, production, and printing of individual list of books and journals.
- Evaluate manuscripts for completeness; prepare analysis of copyediting and design needs in collaboration with authors.
- Prepare front matter.
- Register projects for ISBN’s DOI’s and LOC.
- Recommend and contract freelancers for press projects.Maintain sufficient freelancer pool. Provide feedback to freelancers and director.
- Coordinate handoffs between freelancers and authors. Provide production guidance for authors upon review of copyedited and typeset manuscripts.
- Review and proof author changes to copyedited manuscript, page proofs, check final e-Book files and advance copies.
- Obtain print quotes and place print orders. Manage reprints.
- Obtain digital files and distribute as needed. Help develop workflows and freelancer pool for commercial and open access production.
- Work responsibly and within allocated book and project budget.
- Approve invoices and monitor production costs.
- Provide regular updates of budget expenditures and update P&L’s with actual costs.
- Forecast FY production costs based on forthcoming lists.
- Proofread cover, sales, and marketing copy and materials.
- Oversee work of production interns, graduate assistants, freelancers, and work study students.
- Position may include some travel to industry and academic meetings.
Bachelor’s degree with one (1) year experience; OR Associate’s degree with three (3) years experience; OR five (5) years experience. Degree must be in English, Journalism, or a related field. Experience must be in publications and include production and editing.
- Master’s degree in publishing, humanities or social sciences.
- One (1) year of university press editorial experience in book /journal publishing, include proofreading, editing, coordination of multiple + projects (long form monographs, trade books, and scholarly journals) simultaneously, expense tracking and ability to stay within budget allocations and timelines.
- Effective written and oral communication, and analytical and organizational skills including, Chicago, MLA, and APA styles.
- Strong working knowledge of word processing, spreadsheets, databases, and project management software.
- Based on the nature of this position, the university is unable to provide sponsorship for work visas.
- This is a three year appointment position without guarantee of renewal.
- Please include a resume and cover letter with your application.
- The search committee will begin reviewing applications on January 15, 2019.
This position qualifies for a wide array of benefits. This includes medical, dental, vision, tuition remission, various employee discounts, and a very generous amount of paid vacation and sick time.