Ulysses Press, an independent publishing company based in downtown Brooklyn, NY, and Berkeley, CA, is seeking an assistant acquisitions editor. The Assistant Editor acquires books across nonfiction genres, analyzes data to find new markets, creates books to reach those markets, and then supervises the development, editing, and production of the final book. This is a full-time position based in Ulysses’ New York office, reporting to the Director of Editorial & Acquisitions.
- Keep abreast of not only book industry trends but current popular culture, entertainment, lifestyle, and consumer trends
- Concept unique book ideas based on these trends, market analysis, and backed by data
- Present new book proposals at editorial board meetings
- Negotiate deals and contracts with writers, authors, agents, packagers, and overseas publishers
- Identify potential authors and work with them to develop an overall vision of the book, a working outline, and possible sales avenues
- Project manage titles from acquisition through to the final product and developmental editing where needed
- Collaborate closely with the marketing and production departments to develop the overall strategy for projects
- Write catalog, cover, and promotional copy
- Directly assist the Director of Editorial & Acquisitions and provide general administrative support to the editorial team
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 1–2 years of editorial experience
- Highly creative with an interest in pop culture trends
- Proven ability to juggle several projects at once while meeting tight deadlines
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to problem-solve and coordinate with other departments
- A strong interest in book publishing, specifically nonfiction
- Experience acquiring book projects
- Experience developmental editing and/or writing marketing copy
- Experience with data analysis and/or working with large datasets
- Experience with Adobe Creative Cloud
• Salary is negotiable and commensurate with experience; standard medical benefits, vacation pay, and retirement benefits.
To apply: Send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.