We are longer accepting applications for this position.
The assistant editor is a key member of the editorial team and is responsible for providing vital editorial support for our flagship publication, Poets & Writers Magazine, and our website, pw.org. The assistant editor reports to the editor in chief. This is a full-time position in our New York City office. Annual salary: $45,000; good benefits package including health insurance and ample paid time-off.
• Researching, writing, and updating the Grants & Awards and Conferences & Residencies sections of Poets & Writers Magazine and the corresponding databases at pw.org.
• Reviewing the addition of Deadlines and Conferences & Residencies listings to the databases and styling and linking the online Recent Winners page for each issue’s web close.
• Promoting editorial content and audience engagement on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
• Planning, assigning, editing, and posting weekly installments of online series such as Agents & Editors Recommend at pw.org.
• Fact-checking articles for Poets & Writers Magazine.
• Editing Reactions for each issue of Poets & Writers Magazine.
• Reading and evaluating spec and query letters; participating in editorial meetings.
• Performing other editorial duties, as needed, including photo and article research as well as proofreading.
• Performing other administrative duties, as needed, including filing, writing correspondence, and handling mail for the editorial department, among other tasks.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
• At least two years of experience editing for print and/or online magazines.
• Excellent journalistic writing, developmental editing, and communication skills.
• Strong computer skills, especially in content management systems, Photoshop, and InDesign.
• Highly organized with attention to detail.
• Familiarity with Chicago Manual of Style a plus.
• Proven success with audience engagement on social media platforms (Twitter and Instagram).
• Familiarity with literary community and interest in contemporary literature.
• Cooperative, enthusiastic attitude.
Please send résumé and cover letter via e-mail (“Assistant Editor” in the subject line) to: Kevin Larimer, Editor in Chief, firstname.lastname@example.org. Attachments must be .doc or .pdf; other file types will not be opened. No calls, please.
Poets & Writers is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a building a diverse and inclusive staff. Individuals from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply, including veterans and those with disabilities.
About Poets & Writers:
Poets & Writers is the nation’s leading nonprofit serving creative writers. Founded in 1970, the organization marked its 50th Anniversary in 2020. It is respected and trusted as the primary source of information, support, and guidance for poets, fiction writers, and creative nonfiction writers. As we begin our sixth decade, our vision is that Poets & Writers will empower writers and strengthen literary communities throughout the United States.
Our mission is to foster the professional development of poets and writers, to promote communication throughout the literary community, and to help create an environment in which literature can be appreciated by the widest possible public.
We advance this mission through our flagship publication, Poets & Writers Magazine; pw.org, a website that provides trustworthy advice, information, and a lively online community for writers; the Readings & Workshops Program, which pays writers fees for giving readings and leading workshops throughout New York and California, as well as in eight cities outside those states; Poets & Writers Live; and awards for writers including the Jackson Poetry Prize and the Maureen Egen Writers Exchange Award.
We are guided by our core values: service, inclusivity, integrity, and excellence. Poets & Writers is committed to becoming an antiracist organization. Learn more at pw.org.