The advertising assistant is responsible for selling, processing, and formatting all classified advertising and job listings for Poets & Writers Magazine and pw.org. In addition, the advertising assistant works closely with others on the advertising team to prospect new accounts and maintain relationships with clients.
This is a part-time (20 hours per week) position in our New York City office. Annual salary: $20,000. (Note: Will initially require working remotely; we anticipate returning to our offices later this year.) Reports to the associate publisher.
● Provide customer service and process orders for all classified advertising
● Contact classified advertising prospects for each print issue and digital publication
● Coordinate proofreading of the classifieds section with freelance proofreader
● Flow classified ads into InDesign, make formatting changes
● Format, style, and post online classified ads
● Work with the advertising team to develop material to promote classified ad sales
● Work with the advertising team to research potential advertisers
● Regularly contact prospects for online job listings, and administer job listings on pw.org and in the e-newsletter
● Assist with sales, design, proofreading, and production of display and online advertising
● Generate and send classified advertising invoices, and assist accounting staff with the collections process
● Organize incoming payments by check for the accounting department and communicate with accounting staff about billing issues and irregularities
● Participate in meetings and other departmental activities
● Represent Poets & Writers at book fairs and industry event
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
● Excellent organizational skills and an ability to manage multiple tasks
● Good proofreading skills and an eye for detail
● Ability to edit following a style sheet
● Facility with InDesign and Adobe Acrobat
● Familiarity with PC and Mac platforms, a plus
● Motivated to reach sales goals
● Sales and customer service experience, a plus
● Knowledge of accounts payable and accounts receivable procedures, a plus
● Knowledge of and interest in contemporary literature
Please send resume and cover letter to Tim O'Sullivan, Associate Publisher, by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Attachments should be .doc or .pdf; other file types will not be opened. No calls, please.
Poets & Writers is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to building a diverse staff. Individuals from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply, including persons with disabilities and veterans.
ABOUT POETS & WRITERS:
Founded in 1970, Poets & Writers is marking its 50th Anniversary in 2020. It is respected and trusted as the primary source of information, support, and guidance for poets, fiction writers, and creative nonfiction writers. Our work is rooted in the belief that literature is vital to sustaining a vibrant culture. We focus on nurturing literature’s source: creative writers.
Our mission is to foster the professional development of poets and writers, to promote communication throughout the literary community, and to help create an environment in which literature can be appreciated by the widest possible public.
As we celebrate our 50th Anniversary year, our vision is that Poets & Writers will empower writers and strengthen literary communities in every corner of the United States.
We advance our mission through our flagship publication, Poets & Writers Magazine; pw.org, a website that provides trustworthy advice, information, and a lively online community for writers; the Readings & Workshops Program, which pays writers fees for giving readings and leading workshops throughout New York and California, as well as in eight cities outside those states; Poets & Writers Live; and awards for writers including the Jackson Poetry Prize and the Maureen Egen Writers Exchange Award. Learn more at pw.org.