The National Book Foundation, presenter of the National Book Awards, is seeking a full-time Administrative Assistant to join our small and dynamic team. The Administrative Assistant reports directly to the Executive Director (ED) and provides daily executive support, office coordination, and assistance with operational, financial, and some development activities. This is a critical support position at an established and active literary nonprofit, offering a wide ranging and valuable experience to a candidate seeking a career in arts administration. This position is based in New York, though may begin remotely as needed during the Covid-19 pandemic.
Areas of Responsibility:
- Coordinate the calendar and daily office schedule of the Executive Director, including scheduling, booking, and preparing for on- and off-site meetings and travel
- Help to organize and support ED’s communications, relationships, and meeting follow up
- Assist with administrative details associated with the Board of Directors, including record-keeping as well as scheduling and preparing for Board meetings
- Coordinate and document (when applicable) internal meetings
- Maintain an awareness of organizational stakeholders (board, donors, key partners, authors, etc.) and develop a comprehensive understanding of the overall organizational activities in order to anticipate and prioritize tasks/deadlines/meetings/travel
- Assist the Executive Director and bookkeeper with various aspects of clerical financial record-keeping, including organizing bills, invoices, and payments
- Code all bills and oversee outgoing payments appropriately
- Support the preparation and filing of required financial reports to government and foundation funders and major individual donors
- Monitor incoming donations and assist in drafting timely acknowledgement letters, and process checks and other payments appropriately
- Assist in the assembly of materials needed for annual audit with support from the Executive Director and bookkeeper
- Help ensure a well-run, well-organized office
- Liaise with building management and outside vendors
- Ensure that filing systems are organized, complete, and current, including legal records, new hire paperwork, W-9s, contracts, and financial documents
- Oversee basic office technology (and day-to-day relationship with IT contractor), equipment, and office supply inventories
- Help prepare various organizational mailings
- Additional duties as assigned, including supporting special projects and events
The successful candidate will be an extremely organized, detail-oriented, self-starting multi-tasker who is also collaboratively minded, deadline-conscious, and flexible. Excellent oral and written communications skills are essential. Advanced Microsoft Office Suite and Mac OS skills are required. At least 2 years administrative experience is preferred, ideally having reporting to senior management. A passion for reading and literature is a must.
This is a full-time exempt position with a benefits package including paid time off, health care, and other benefits. Salary is $38,000-$40,000 depending on experience.
To Apply for the Position:
Send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line Administrative Assistant. Review of applications will begin in mid-May 2021 and continue until the position is filled. Position begins in summer 2021. No phone calls.
The National Book Foundation is committed to inclusivity and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, ethnicity, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, nationality, marital status, parental status, military service, or disability.