Peachtree Publishing Company, Inc. seeks an experienced acquisitions and development editor with the passion, drive, and relationships to develop and position her own list. You will be an integral part of a dynamic company with deep roots, a growing list, and a commitment to the craft of publishing books that will last a lifetime. As Acquisitions Editor, you will work closely with the other members of the editorial staff, as well as art, sales, marketing, and publicity departments, to shepherd your books on the journey out into the world, knowing that they will be lovingly cared for by your colleagues and readers.
The ideal candidate will have thoughtful, personal literary taste; deep knowledge of the children’s book market; strong communication skills and an established network; and well-developed visual and design instincts.
The Acquisitions Editor will:
- acquire and develop ten to fifteen new titles a year, primarily middle grade and young adult fiction and nonfiction
- proactively communicate with authors, illustrators, and agents regarding potential projects
- evaluate costs, budgets, and schedules with key staff; negotiate contract terms
- collaborate with design and production staff
- participate in crafting messages and developing marketing materials in support of list.
- represent individual projects and the list internally and externally
Knowledge and skills:
- five years’ acquisitions and editorial experience in children’s trade book publishing
- a track record of acquiring and developing titles that are both critically and financially successful
- outstanding editorial and writing skills and attention to detail
- deep understanding of retail, school, and library markets and industry trends
- expertise in building and maintaining strong and productive relationships and collaborating with and mentoring colleagues
- excellent organizational and time-management abilities
- This full-time position is based in our Midtown Atlanta office. While the Acquisitions Editor will be required to work in the office for the majority of time, there are some opportunities for teleworking and other flexible arrangements.
- This position involves some travel to industry conferences.
- The Acquisitions Editor will report to the Associate Publisher.
- This is a salaried position, eligible for benefits. For the ideal candidate, relocation expenses are negotiable.
Founded in 1977, Peachtree Publishing Company, Inc. produces award-winning children’s books, ranging from picture books to young adult fiction, and nonfiction. Our offices and warehouse are located in midtown Atlanta. We are a small staff interested in growing our company, and passionate about creating well-crafted books for children.
Interested candidates: Please email your cover letter and resumé to firstname.lastname@example.org.