The American Booksellers Association is looking for an energetic people-person who loves books and bookstores to become ABA’s new Member Relations and Registration Coordinator!
Reporting to the Director of Membership, this individual will be primarily responsible for managing a portfolio of bookstore member accounts, specifically in the Midwest region; managing ABA’s event registrations, including workshops, webinars, and ABA’s ShopTalk program, in addition to our annual Winter Institute and Children’s Institute conferences; as well as providing other administrative and database-related support to the Membership department. The ideal candidate has previous experience in the bookselling industry and is devoted to supporting the mission of indie bookstores everywhere; is detail-oriented; highly organized; has strong written and verbal communication skills; comfort with databases and technology; the ability to meet deadlines; a sense of humor and positive, amiable demeanor! This position also requires some domestic travel and some nights and weekends for conferences.
- Developing strong relationships with bookstores and booksellers
- Managing a portfolio of bookstore accounts as their primary liaison with ABA
- Processing new membership applications and corresponding data entry
- Providing technical support to members and facilitating access to resources and activities
- Responding to bookstores’ inquiries about new and evergreen programs and services
- Managing ABA’s event registrations, including but not limited to the annual Winter Institute and Children’s Institute conferences; ABA’s Shop Talks and other community forums; webinars, workshops and other ad-hoc events
- Managing the event registration timeline and ensuring a timely flow of information across departments
- Administrative support for ABA’s affinity partner programs including Bookshop.org, Constant Contact, and other programs that require liaising with business partners
- Assisting in the organization, maintenance, storage, and presentation of ABA’s data
- Preparing regular, periodic, and ad-hoc membership reports
- Travel to regional and national meetings and events as needed
Our ideal candidate will have the following (please also see note below)*:
- CiviCRM or other CRM/AMS or comparable data experience
- Proficiency in Microsoft and Google suite applications, especially Excel/Sheets
- Demonstrated experience providing excellent customer service in a calm, empathetic manner
- Highly organized and able to independently and effectively manage short and long-term projects; strong project management and self-direction
- Passion for independent bookstores and/or books
- Bachelor’s or associate’s degree, or equivalent (comparable nontraditional self-education, i.e. lifelong learner, certificates and/or classes, or work, volunteer, or internship experience equivalent)
- Commitment to supporting diversity, equity, inclusion, and access initiatives and policies
Remote, hybrid, or in-office in White Plains, NY. Shuttle service is provided from the White Plains MetroNorth train station for NYC commuters.
Starting at $45,000, commensurate with experience. Benefits include medical, dental, and vision insurance, as well as paid sick days, holidays, vacation, and personal days.
For almost 125 years, the American Booksellers Association (ABA) has been the guiding voice for independently-owned bookstores. Founded in 1900, ABA is a national not-for-profit trade organization that supports the success of independent bookstores. This success is assisted through education, information dissemination, business services, programming, technology, and advocacy. ABA’s membership has evolved over the years, and our members are more diverse, involved in community, and act as guiding forces in locales around the country.
How to Apply:
Please send a cover letter that speaks to why you want this job, your previous professional and/or personal experience, and your interest in independent bookstores, as well as your resume to Daniel O’Brien at email@example.com with the subject line: Member Relations & Registration Coordinator. Applications will be accepted until the role is filled, with a projected start date of December 5 (but will be dependent upon the candidate’s needs.) Please review ABA’s full values statement before applying.
ABA believes diversity and diverse perspectives make our organization stronger, and we’re committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and an association that’s representative of all of our members and the customers they serve. We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age; ethnicity; color; race; religion; sex; sexual orientation; gender identity and/or expression; marital, civil union, or domestic partnership status; past or present military service; physical, mental, or sensory disability; national, social, or ethnic origin; neurodiversity; pregnancy; family or parental status; and/or genetic information (including family medical history).
If you are passionate about ABA’s mission and think you have what it takes to be successful in this role even if you don’t check all the boxes, please apply. We’d appreciate the opportunity to consider your application.