Feb 26, 2010, 6:10 PM
Post #2854 of 2979
Hi. Look, they cannot ask you to make a decision by March 5, period. They called me again today as well and left a message. Frankly, I think it's out of line after they signed on to a resolution that every other school has been sticking to. Oregon State, Montana, Riverside, Iowa, nobody has put that time pressure on me, and all have said they fully understand that I need to have all my acceptances and funding info before making a decision, except UNCW, despite their being part of this agreement. As the U of Iowa rep told me, go forward with interviewing for any TA positions, and if they ask you to sign something, send them the agreement (I included it in my last post). They cannot unaccept you, and I don't believe they can withdraw a funding offer until the April date either. I think it's rather unethical what they are doing, frankly, and it does make me take a second look at putting their program second on my list after Iowa.
Re: [rebarusset] Decision Deadlines
[In reply to]
Here is my advice: They would not be putting pressure on you if they did not want you and weren't worried about losing you to another school. You are in the power position. So send them an e-mail, and let them know something to this effect: "I have just spoken with another school I was accepted at, and they have informed me that the Creative Writing programs, including UNCW, have signed on to a resolution (attached) that agrees to give students until April 15 to make a decision regarding attendance. As I am still considering some funding offers from other schools, and waiting to hear back regarding acceptance at other schools, I won't be able to provide a decision by the March 5 date you requested. UNCW remains among my top choices, and I expect I will have an answer well in advance of the agreed April 15 deadline; however, I am uncomfortable with making any decision in advance of my having all my options clear to me. Thank you for your understanding. I look forward to being in touch soon, and quite likely attending your program this fall."
Bottom line is, you are the one in the power position here, but they are trying to get you to commit to them before you realize that, I think. ;-) Own your success. They are trying to go outside the rules other schools are adhering to, and you don't need to sell yourself short. You officially have until April.
As far as me, I am impressed with how Iowa has been handling this UNCW business and how attentive and forthcoming they have been. Their funding package, if I get one (they won't know for a couple weeks), will be less than that of UNCW. However, cost of living is less in Iowa too. And the TAship at Iowa kicks ass over UNCW- your own small class, as opposed to a section of a large class at UNCW. Iowa is totally my top choice, given its reputation and those factors. But if I don't get funding there, then UNCW is my second choice, as the next ranked school in my list. Starting to question that now, though...
Let me know what you end up doing, paligal, with re: to how you handle UNCW. Everyone tells me just to ask them for an extension, but I feel like such a goob -- in the excitement of the moment, I said: "Oh, sure I can give you a decision by March 5." I feel like it's my fault for even getting into this mess ... Maybe we can unite and put our feet down together. Still, this is a stressful situation, and I hate having to haggle with such nice people.
After Iowa, is UNCW your top choice? Where's your heart/gut right now?