»

Subscribe | Give a Gift Subscription

Log In or Register | Help | Contact Us | Donate

Advanced Search

Main Index » Writing and Publishing » MFA Programs
Has Anybody Made a Final Decision?
Edit your profilePrivate messages Search postsWho's online?
You are not signed in. Click here to sign in.
If you are not a member, Register here!
139031 registered users
First page Previous page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 32 Next page Last page  View All


thera


May 3, 2007, 11:50 AM

Post #251 of 793 (9008 views)
Shortcut
Re: [alishein] VCU, anyone? [In reply to] Can't Post

my poetry situation at uncg was similar. they said instead of a ranked wait list, theer was a pool. and if somebody declined an offer, or they got more $$ the would re-evaluate all the candidates and see who seemed like the best fit. I also kept email ing with the people there, to show how interested i was. which probably helped. i think it is nice that they only want to offer people a really great financial aid package, and won't accept anybody else until they can do so...but it is annoying not to know where you stand!


tenderloner
Geary'n Hyde

May 13, 2007, 1:40 AM

Post #252 of 793 (8830 views)
Shortcut
Re: [thera] UNCG [In reply to] Can't Post

Ha! I was told I was in that pool in the conference room, but then I got a rejection letter a week or so later. Oh well. The financial situation with Cal Arts seems to improve every week. I was offered a job and they said the odds are good I'll get into housing if I don't sit on the application "for several weeks" (sent it back within a week). So that will save $4000. My need has gone down from $18k to $10k. I'd like to get a bit more in scholarships (I can ask to be reconsidered for more Cal Arts scholarship funds and am applying to outside scholarships/grants). The rest can be filled in with PT work and savings.

Hooray!


SaraBellum


May 30, 2007, 3:09 PM

Post #253 of 793 (8648 views)
Shortcut
Alaska.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey folks,

I don't know if there are many others besides me still on here that are totally clueless about what you're going to do.....(I've already put in a deposit, but I'm still quite unsure) ...

but, The University of Alaska, Anchorage has a June 1 deadline for applications for the fall..... in case anyone is interested in taking a 3-point granny shot with 2 seconds left on the clock...


---------





shvegan


Jun 3, 2007, 10:04 PM

Post #254 of 793 (8534 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SaraBellum] Alaska.... [In reply to] Can't Post

i'm going to oregon state in corvallis for poetry. if anyone else is headed out that way, or already there, feel free to email me. shvegan@hotmail.com


ptld


Jun 4, 2007, 9:21 PM

Post #255 of 793 (8466 views)
Shortcut
Re: [shvegan] Alaska.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I did my undergrad at OSU. For vegan friendly cuisine be sure to check out Nearly Normals on 15th Ave. There's also a great farmers market.


SaraBellum


Jun 20, 2007, 3:25 PM

Post #256 of 793 (8326 views)
Shortcut
M F'ing A [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey guys,

Well, in March when it looked as though I would not be getting in to any programs this year, I wrote a scathing poem called "M F'ing A" about rejection letters. I think some of you would find it amusing... Since then I was accepted to Sarah Lawrence at the last minute, with no funding - which seems even more hilarious. I'm still working on my poem directed towards the financial aid department.

Anyhow, the June edition is up today, where it's published, and here is the link to the mag:

www.defenestrationmag.net


-Megan


---------





Rambler


Jun 26, 2007, 12:13 PM

Post #257 of 793 (8225 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SaraBellum] Alaska.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Did anyone make a final decision regarding Rutgers new mfa program?
Anybody going there? Fiction? Nonfiction? Poetry?


jaywalke


Jul 6, 2007, 8:32 AM

Post #258 of 793 (8099 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Rambler] Alaska.... [In reply to] Can't Post


In Reply To
Did anyone make a final decision regarding Rutgers new mfa program?
Anybody going there? Fiction? Nonfiction? Poetry?



I read the first line very quickly, and my brain came up with "Rutgers mafia program."

Must be a Sopranos spin-off.


A-OK


Jul 11, 2007, 7:12 PM

Post #259 of 793 (7990 views)
Shortcut
Help! Deferring and TAships [In reply to] Can't Post

  Dear forum members,

I have a big dilemma and under a time crunch, and I'm hoping you guys might give me some perspective. This seemed like the most appropriate forum to put it in.

So, many months ago I accepted an offer to a creative writing program. It was one of my top 3 or 4 choices, and they gave me the best financial aid offer (tuition waiver, TA stipend, small scholarship). Recently, some things in my job and personal life came up which have forced me to consider deferring for a year. I wasn't sure the university would accept a deferral, especially considering how late in the game this is, but I called them about a week ago, and to my surprise, they said they would accept a deferral. In fact, they were exceptionally nice and understanding about the whole deal. The one catch is, they can't guarantee that I'll receive the same financial aid package that I got before (the the scholarship is nice, but the TAship is a deal-breaker).

My question is, will deferring severely hurt my chances of getting a TAship again? The director made is sound like I would have a good chance to get it. He basically said that I was one of their top choices this year and he would expect me to be a top choice for TAship next year. He just couldn't guarantee it. However, some friends of mine who are in grad school for a different program (museum studies) said that students who defer rarely get their TAships back. Does anyone know if that's the case for MFA creative writing programs? I'd really like to defer, and think doing so would be professionally and personally fulfilling. But I'm scared of giving up the "sure thing" of having basically a full-ride financial package.

Also, is it considered poor form to apply to other programs after having deferred from a school, or is it an acceptable practice? If I could be guaranteed financial aid, I'd be sitting pretty and wouldn't need to apply, but financial aid is crucial for me, so I feel like I'd need to cover my bases if I did defer.

I'd appreciate any advice or feedback. Thanks, everyone, in advance!


(This post was edited by A-OK on Jul 11, 2007, 7:28 PM)


__________



Jul 11, 2007, 11:53 PM

Post #260 of 793 (7960 views)
Shortcut
Re: [A-OK] Help! Deferring and TAships [In reply to] Can't Post

Seems to me that if you're deferring the decision for a year, then you're deferring the decision for a year. Applying elsewhere and knowing your funding options will help you make that decision. You don't need to advertise it.

Of course everybody in academia's just super nice, but your friends are correct: the one hard fact they've handed you is that you'll be re-evaluated for funding. Probably's are meaningless.

You know deferring won't help your chances. You know it puts your funding in doubt, moderately, severely, or otherwise. And no one can peer into next year's application packets, see how good they are, and determine whether or not an administrator will think person X deserves more funding than you.


six five four three two one 0 ->

(This post was edited by Junior Maas on Jul 11, 2007, 11:55 PM)


bighark


Jul 12, 2007, 9:00 AM

Post #261 of 793 (7929 views)
Shortcut
Re: [A-OK] Help! Deferring and TAships [In reply to] Can't Post

During the period of your deferral, you are free to consider other options. So is your school.

If you go through the application process again (and I think you should) and come out the other side with some good offers from other schools, you may want to change your mind about your original program. Similarly, your program will definitely go through the application process again, and while it will certainly honor your deferred admission, it may offer your funding to some hot young thing it met while waiting around for you.

There's no shame in hedging your bet. Apply to some new programs in case your funding doesn't come through.

Good luck!


gcsumfa


Jul 12, 2007, 4:31 PM

Post #262 of 793 (7891 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bighark] Help! Deferring and TAships [In reply to] Can't Post


In Reply To
During the period of your deferral, you are free to consider other options. So is your school.

If you go through the application process again (and I think you should) and come out the other side with some good offers from other schools, you may want to change your mind about your original program. Similarly, your program will definitely go through the application process again, and while it will certainly honor your deferred admission, it may offer your funding to some hot young thing it met while waiting around for you.

There's no shame in hedging your bet. Apply to some new programs in case your funding doesn't come through.

Good luck!


I agree with the previous two posters. There is nothing wrong with re-applying to other schools, and there is nothing wrong with the program director telling you that he or she can't guarantee funding.

Quite frankly, if the program director promised you full funding before even looking at the upcoming 2008 application pool, that would reek of desperation and suggest warning signs about the program's overall quality.


SaraBellum


Jul 13, 2007, 11:57 AM

Post #263 of 793 (7829 views)
Shortcut
Re: [gcsumfa] Help! Deferring and TAships [In reply to] Can't Post

On the subject... I'm thinking seriously of deferring at Sarah Lawrence. Of course, there's no TAship at risk, nor any funding to speak of.. it's more like, 'What in HELL will I do now?'

But yeh...I need an MFA with money, and teaching...and pints under $8.


---------





ellen362


Jul 13, 2007, 3:45 PM

Post #264 of 793 (7801 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SaraBellum] Help! Deferring and TAships [In reply to] Can't Post

It sounds to me like you don't have anything to lose by deferring Sarah Lawrence. You might gain thousands of dollars elsewhere! You'd have another chance to polish your application. You could get in a funded program and be able to relax and enjoy it.


motet
Dana Davis / Moderator
e-mail user

Mar 16, 2008, 6:12 PM

Post #265 of 793 (7560 views)
Shortcut
Accepted and deciding which school [In reply to] Can't Post

Have you been accepted into more than one program and made your final decision?
Are you still weighing your options?

Here's a good place to let people know what you're considering or what you've chosen!


Zash
Zachary Ash

Mar 16, 2008, 7:58 PM

Post #266 of 793 (7478 views)
Shortcut
Re: [motet] Accepted and deciding which school [In reply to] Can't Post

I will be going to U Mass-Amherst. While I was waitlisted at Wisconsin, a great program, Massachusetts has been very welcoming, plus they've offered me a fellowship. I am a fiction writer.


rppohl


Mar 16, 2008, 8:07 PM

Post #267 of 793 (7464 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Zash] Accepted and deciding which school [In reply to] Can't Post

congrats zash. I'm waitlisted for fiction at Wisconsin also. And accepted at Western Michigan. I still have a couple of programs to hear from.


mpagan


Mar 16, 2008, 8:12 PM

Post #268 of 793 (7448 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rppohl] Accepted and deciding which school [In reply to] Can't Post

I've accepted an offer at Michigan
visiting next week


blarring


Mar 16, 2008, 9:12 PM

Post #269 of 793 (7377 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mpagan] Accepted and deciding which school [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been accepted to Emerson, George Mason, and New School so far. Still waiting to hear from some other programs. Given a scholarship at TNS, but still very expensive. Weighing my options and going crazy. It's all still up in the air right now. Any thoughts? I know it's my decision, but I would like to know what others think.

Thanks,



B. Lynn Arrington
"A Southerner talks music." --Mark Twain



pensive
Adam
e-mail user

Mar 17, 2008, 12:32 AM

Post #270 of 793 (7284 views)
Shortcut
Re: [blarring] Accepted and deciding which school [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been accepted to both Pittsburgh and Sarah Lawrence. Comparatively, SLC is less expensive (2 years vs. 3 years, and less per credit) but Pittsburgh is a much MUCH less expensive city to live in than Bronxville, NY. Anybody with any thoughts on these two?


sicofelephants


e-mail user

Mar 17, 2008, 1:44 AM

Post #271 of 793 (7244 views)
Shortcut
hoping [In reply to] Can't Post

As soon as UT takes me off the waitlist, I'm sinking my claws into that sweet deal. Unless UH swoops in at the last minute--that'd be the trump card.

I refer to the UT MA in English w/ creative writing concentration, by the way. How can you say no to a fully funded ride and a name like UT Austin? It's the freakin' golden ticket to the chocolate factory. If I was one of the 4 lucky whores who got accepted, I wouldn't say no. For make sake, though, I'm hoping one of them does.


motet
Dana Davis / Moderator
e-mail user

Mar 17, 2008, 11:23 PM

Post #272 of 793 (6999 views)
Shortcut
Re: [blarring] Accepted and deciding which school [In reply to] Can't Post


In Reply To
Given a scholarship at TNS, but still very expensive.



Lynn, if you're talking about the cost of housing, there was a conversation in The Local Life about affordable rents in Jersey City and parts of Brooklyn that you might be interested in reading.

Did you get funding from Emerson or Goerge Mason?

Dana


cellularsoup


Mar 18, 2008, 9:56 AM

Post #273 of 793 (6898 views)
Shortcut
Accepted and deciding which school [In reply to] Can't Post

i'm 99.9% sure that i'll be attending umass-amherst for poetry. waiting to hear about the TAship i interviewed for, but even without the position, it's a pretty reasonably priced program. still can't believe i'm actually going somewhere!


jayg


Mar 18, 2008, 10:47 AM

Post #274 of 793 (6852 views)
Shortcut
Oregon [In reply to] Can't Post

I am 99.9% going to Oregon in the fall! Would love to email / chat with anyone else who is also going to Oregon, or hear from anyone who is currently there, or who has lived in Eugene.


jkinnebe


Mar 18, 2008, 11:59 AM

Post #275 of 793 (6783 views)
Shortcut
Accepted and deciding which school [In reply to] Can't Post

Is anyone tempted to make their decision based on how much schools have wooed them? I mean, not funding-wise. But some of the less prestigious schools I've gotten into have been so nice-- having faculty members call and email, etc., while slightly more competitive schools (I didn't get in anywhere too highly ranked) do no follow-up after the initial call. It just makes me wonder what the atmosphere would be like at both of these types of places. Maybe going to a smaller, low-ranked school would mean more personal attention, a supportive environment, that kind of thing. Any thoughts?

First page Previous page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 32 Next page Last page  View All

Main Index » Writing and Publishing » MFA Programs

 


P&W Newsletters

Sign up to receive our monthly email newsletter to stay informed of the latest news, events and more.

Click to Sign Up

Subscribe to P&W Magazine | Donate Now | Advertise | Sign up for E-Newsletter | About Us | Contact Us

© Copyright Poets & Writers 2011. All Rights Reserved