Mar 12, 2007, 10:14 AM
Post #2836 of 6294
I'm currently deciding between three schools to which I've been accepted for an MFA in Creative Nonfiction.
Pros: Excellent financial aid package (full tuition waiver + stipend), teaching experience, strong faculty, recent grads have had book deals after graduating, three year program = lots of time to work on thesis
Cons: Lesser ranked program, not as prestigious as Iowa, Michigan, Columbia, et. al.
Pros: Top notch faculty, highly regarded program, contacts with agents, faculty arrange trips to NY to meet with editors of the New Yorker and Harpers
Cons: No funding offered (since I am an out of state student, this would amount to approximately $50K of student loan debt) for the two year MFA degree
Pros: Excellent location (major U.S. city), excellent faculty
Cons: Required course in literature translation (not my interest), little funding offered; funding decisions made by the end of March
Right now, I'm about to decline my offer from School B and wait to see if School C offers me funding. If not, I will definitely go with School A. I'm scared of declining School B's offer because it just seems so final to me! In light of my choices here, would it be foolish to decline School B's offer?