The development and marketing associate works with the managing director and the development and marketing manager to raise contributed income (currently about 40% of a $4 million budget), to promote Poets & Writers’ programs, and to advance its mission. The associate coordinates all aspects of the Friends of Poets & Writers program (currently about 1,800 members); manages the donor database and maintains the integrity of the data; tracks and acknowledges all donations; and facilitates our communications with constituent groups though a bi-weekly e-newsletter and social media platforms including Facebook and Twitter.
The position will also offer an opportunity to assist with special events and gain experience in all aspects of development and marketing. The position requires great attention to detail and facility with database and e-marketing software. Reports to the managing director.
- Manage P&W’s donor database (DonorPerfect)
- Process all contributions and produce timely, accurate, and cordial acknowledgments
- Make bank deposits and produce weekly financial reports
- Produce renewal mailings for the Friends of Poets & Writers
- Ensure timely fulfillment of Friends benefits
- Work with the managing director to develop online and direct mail campaigns to acquire new Friends and reengage lapsed Friends; implement all aspects of these efforts
- Code and track the success of campaigns, and provide reports as requested
- Respond to telephone calls and e-mail from Friends; provide exceptional customer service
- Assist in the writing of the bi-annual Friends News and coordinate its production and distribution
- Maintain departmental records, including electronic and paper files
- Assist in executing annual dinner and other donor cultivation and promotional events, including readings, awards presentations, and parties
- Proofread development materials and assist with other development activities as needed
- Manage our constituent contact software (Constant Contact)
- Coordinate the production and distribution of a bi-monthly e-newsletter (circ. 80,000+)
- Coordinate the production and distribution of periodic e-newsletters targeted to constituents in specific regions, and occasional e-communications promoting P&W publications and programs
- Regularly post to the organization’s Facebook page and Twitter feed to promote publications and events, encourage engagement, and reinforce the organization’s brand
- Work with managing director and editorial staff to promote each issue of Poets & Writers Magazine, issuing a press release, developing and implementing a social media campaign, and coordinating launch parties and related events
- Coordinate the distribution of press releases
- Maintain press contact lists and press comp list (to be reviewed and updated annually)
- Monitor and maintain copies of all press mentions, both in print and online
- Assist in the development of house ads as well as ads placed in other outlets (online and in print)
- Support P&W’s participation in book fairs and conferences
- Procure promotional products (e.g., pens, tote bags, bookmarks)
- Request promotional copies of books from publishers
- Proofread marketing materials and assist with other marketing and PR activities as needed
- Two to three years development or marketing experience
- Proficiency with all Microsoft Office applications (especially Word and Excel)
- Experience with donor databases and e-marketing tools—Donor Perfect and/or Constant Contact strongly preferred; some knowledge of HTML helpful
- Excellent written and verbal communications
- Detail oriented, with outstanding organizational ability to take projects from assignment through completion
- Ability to provide exceptional customer service
- Strong proofreading skills
- Familiarly with public relations, marketing, and social media in a non-profit context a plus
- Interest in contemporary literature
- Please send resume, cover letter, and writing sample to Melissa Gradel at email@example.com. Please include “Development Associate” in the subject line. Attachments should be .pdf, .doc, or .rtf files; other file types will not be opened. No calls, please.
Salary commensurate with experience; comprehensive benefits package includes fully paid medical, dental, vision and life insurance; 403(b) plan; and generous time off.
Poets & Writers is an equal opportunity employer and encourages diversity in its hiring.
ABOUT POETS & WRITERS, INC.
Poets & Writers (P&W), respected and trusted as the primary source of information, support and guidance for poets, fiction writers, and creative nonfiction writers, is the nation’s largest nonprofit organization serving creative writers.
Founded in 1970, the organization’s mission is to foster the professional development of poets and writers, to promote communication throughout the literary community, and to help create an environment in which literature can be appreciated by the widest possible public.
We advance this mission through our flagship publication, Poets & Writers Magazine; pw.org , a website that provides trustworthy advice, information, and a lively online community for writers; the Readings/Workshops Program, which pays writers fees for giving readings and leading workshops throughout New York and California, as well as in eight cities outside those states; and awards for writers including the $50,000 Jackson Poetry Prize, the Maureen Egen Writers Exchange Award, and the Amy Award. Learn more at pw.org .