Sign in or Register | Help | Contact Us

Advanced Search

Main Index » Writing and Publishing » MFA Programs
Waitlisted
You are not signed in. Click here to sign in.
If you are not a member, Register here!
136350 registered users
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 20 Next page Last page  View All

Clench Million
Charles

Mar 30, 2006, 1:50 PM

Post #1 of 482 (18118 views)
Shortcut
Waitlisted Can't Post

Guess I'll put this question in here, since we can't make new threads:

What about Waitlists? Does anyone know how many people tend to get off them for various schools?

Someone from a top 10 school told me two years ago they only accepted 2 (dunno if this meant all genres or just fiction) but last year they went through 18.

I'm waiting at NYU and JHU (my top choice) and would love to know if I have a shot at all...
On one hand it seems like no one would turn down such great programs, but OTOH if you are good enough to get into them you are probably good enough to get into some other top programs and maybe you'd choose somewhere else...

If only someone would pick up the phone and tell me where I am on the list!

(This post was edited by motet on Mar 17, 2007, 1:20 PM)

kodi

Mar 30, 2006, 2:43 PM

Post #2 of 482 (18063 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Clench Million] WAIT LISTS Can't Post

In Reply To

FWIW, I was waitlisted at JHU last year. I was told there were two of us on the fiction list and they had accepted three fiction applicants. By April 14, all three had accepted the offer of admission. (He said they were revamping the MFA program, hence only three were accepted last year.) So, no waitlist luck for me. It makes sense--the program is amazing and offers full funding.

Clench Million
Charles

Mar 30, 2006, 2:48 PM

Post #3 of 482 (18059 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kodi] WAIT LISTS Can't Post

Thanks for the info. Only 2 on the list makes chances a little better (UVA has 25 people I think)

kodi

Mar 30, 2006, 2:54 PM

Post #4 of 482 (18055 views)
Shortcut

If it makes you feel better, just call Stephen Dixon and ask. Last year he wouldn't disclose my position on the list, but he did say there were just two of us. It's worth a shot.

(This post was edited by kodi on Mar 30, 2006, 2:58 PM)

Clench Million
Charles

Mar 30, 2006, 3:05 PM

Post #5 of 482 (18044 views)
Shortcut

Well I called the number on the list but no one answered, I'll try again. I guess the waitlist might be longer with more fiction students this year.

Clench Million
Charles

Mar 30, 2006, 4:08 PM

Post #6 of 482 (18020 views)
Shortcut

Well, I called and talked to someone, and she basically said they don't have an order, that if someone declines they look through the people on the waitlist again and pick someone. Seems kinda odd. She said there were 8 people on the list.

sigh.

The only good thing is JHU decisions have to be made by April 15th, and my Columbia decision doesn't have to be made till May 1st.

coolshoes

Mar 31, 2006, 12:07 AM

Post #7 of 482 (17943 views)
Shortcut

FWIW, I am on the wait list at Goucher and they did tell me my number; and also that if I don't get in now, I get an automatic admit for next year. Don't know if this is unique to Goucher or to low res programs or what.

franz

Mar 31, 2006, 2:29 AM

Post #8 of 482 (17910 views)
Shortcut

There are only two 1st year students right now, which means a larger incoming class of students. I'm guessing at least seven, maybe 8 students. I accepted today and heard word that at least one other fiction student has accepted. I'm interested in knowing who my future classmates will be but it seems like most haven't made a decision yet. That's all I know.

Franz Knupfer, author of short stories and novels

jennymck

Mar 31, 2006, 3:52 AM

Post #9 of 482 (17901 views)
Shortcut
Re: [franz] WAIT LISTS Can't Post

I'm really curious about this whole waitlist thing, too! I'm No. 3 on the nonfiction list for Arizona, and I so want to go there. They've already accepted the first person off the waitlist. It seems like I have a shot, but they said the program is small, although I don't know how small, and I have no idea of my chances. I mean, AZ isn't such an amazing school that those accepted wouldn't go somewhere else, but I wish I had SOME idea of my chances....

viviandarkbloom

Mar 31, 2006, 12:06 PM

Post #10 of 482 (17827 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jennymck] WAIT LISTS Can't Post

I'm waitlisted at Oregon. Is it okay to call and ask exactly where on the waitlist I am?

jennymck

Mar 31, 2006, 12:08 PM

Post #11 of 482 (17825 views)
Shortcut
Re: [viviandarkbloom] WAIT LISTS Can't Post

Yes, I think it's totally fine to ask, viviandarkbloom. That's what people told me and I asked and the program assistant was understanding and helpful. I think they understand people are needing to make decisions and want to know.

clarabow

Mar 31, 2006, 12:23 PM

Post #12 of 482 (17813 views)
Shortcut

indiana waitlist purgatory is making me feel crazy!@

Clench Million
Charles

Mar 31, 2006, 12:30 PM

Post #13 of 482 (17806 views)
Shortcut
Re: [franz] WAIT LISTS Can't Post

franz, yeah I was wondering if that would be the case this year. Maybe a little shred of hope for me.

almost

Mar 31, 2006, 1:49 PM

Post #14 of 482 (17775 views)
Shortcut
UMass Can't Post

Does anyone know how many people are on the UMass Fiction waiting list?????

andfw

Mar 31, 2006, 2:17 PM

Post #15 of 482 (17756 views)
Shortcut

Arizona's nonfiction program is small as in around 10 people small -- both years, not 10 per class.

In Reply To
I'm really curious about this whole waitlist thing, too! I'm No. 3 on the nonfiction list for Arizona, and I so want to go there. They've already accepted the first person off the waitlist. It seems like I have a shot, but they said the program is small, although I don't know how small, and I have no idea of my chances. I mean, AZ isn't such an amazing school that those accepted wouldn't go somewhere else, but I wish I had SOME idea of my chances....

asneth

Mar 31, 2006, 2:34 PM

Post #16 of 482 (17739 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jstgerma] WAIT LISTS Can't Post

does anyone know how big pitts waitlist is for nonfiction?

jennymck

Mar 31, 2006, 3:04 PM

Post #17 of 482 (17723 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jstgerma] WAIT LISTS Can't Post

Thank you much for that info -- I'm glad to know. How sad, though -- I feel so close but with numbers that low, it seems hopeless!

andfw

Mar 31, 2006, 3:09 PM

Post #18 of 482 (17716 views)
Shortcut

No problem. Sorry if I'm being the bearer of bad news, but I figured it might be better to know than to have to speculate.

The exact number might actually be 8 or 11, but it's definitely in that ballpark.

You never know, though -- a few people might go elsewhere. Good luck!

jdurose
Julie

Mar 31, 2006, 5:54 PM

Post #19 of 482 (17664 views)
Shortcut
Re: [asneth] WAIT LISTS Can't Post

You should feel okay about picking up the phone and asking how far on the waitlist you are. By the way, I just declined at Pitt (nonfiction); I hope to hear good news from you!

asneth

Mar 31, 2006, 5:56 PM

Post #20 of 482 (17659 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jdurose] WAIT LISTS Can't Post

I emailed the woman in their office I've been in email correspondence with to ask my rank, so we'll see where that goes.

May I ask where you decided to go?

:)

jdurose
Julie

Mar 31, 2006, 5:58 PM

Post #21 of 482 (17656 views)
Shortcut

Aaack! I haven't decided. I am still waiting on USF, Hollins (sounds as if I'm outta luck there...), and Boise State (who is on Spring Break this week).

Patience, patience, I keep telling myself...

asneth

Mar 31, 2006, 6:01 PM

Post #22 of 482 (17652 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jdurose] WAIT LISTS Can't Post

Only two more long weeks untill final decision time! Good luck, I hope you get in where you want to go!!

blueberry

Apr 1, 2006, 10:05 AM

Post #23 of 482 (17570 views)
Shortcut

anyone else on the columbia wait list for nonfiction? anyone been accepted there and not going?

asneth

Apr 3, 2006, 6:27 AM

Post #24 of 482 (17417 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Clench Million] Wait Lists Can't Post

If I you know your spot on a waitlist, would it be alright to ask the university how far down they got on the waitlist last year?

I know that this really holds no relevance, given that last year's class and this year's class of applicants are going to have different situations that may or may not accept/decline a school's offer.

It just might give me a bit of a piece of mind

ajmichaelis

Apr 3, 2006, 4:44 PM

Post #25 of 482 (17308 views)
Shortcut
Questions to ask? Can't Post

I feel like this is a stupid question, but here it goes. I'm on two waitlists, and I want to call the departments to find out more information, but I'm not really sure what kind of questions I should ask. I see a lot of people are asking their place on the waitlist, but is it appropriate to ask about funding, etc? I'd planned to talk to current or past students when I got into a program to see what they thought about it, but it doesn't seem like you can do that if you're still on the waitlist. What do you all think?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 20 Next page Last page  View All

Main Index » Writing and Publishing » MFA Programs

P&W Newsletters

Sign up to receive our monthly email newsletter to stay informed of the latest news, events and more.

Click to Sign Up

Subscribe to P&W Magazine | Donate Now | Advertise | Sign up for E-Newsletter | About Us | Contact Us

© Copyright Poets & Writers 2011. All Rights Reserved