Sign in or Register | Help | Contact Us

Advanced Search

Main Index » Writing and Publishing » MFA Programs
UVA
You are not signed in. Click here to sign in.
If you are not a member, Register here!
135894 registered users
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

emtothejay

Mar 27, 2006, 11:32 AM

Post #1 of 161 (8702 views)
Shortcut
UVA Can't Post

anyone who knows ANYTHING about UVA Fiction, please post here. i'm going nuts with the waiting.

so far as i know, they made their decisions yesterday and are mailing out...today? in the next few days? i opted for email notification on the application, don't know if that means i'll hear today, or April 1st...i imagine they will be making their calls today or in the next few days? do they even make phone calls?

agggggggggh. this is the worst.

(This post was edited by motet on Mar 27, 2006, 1:55 PM)

Clench Million
Charles

Mar 27, 2006, 1:07 PM

Post #2 of 161 (8669 views)
Shortcut
Re: [emtothejay] UVA fiction -- when?! Can't Post

You can view your status online, which basically means you can check for rejection

emtothejay

Mar 27, 2006, 1:27 PM

Post #3 of 161 (8646 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Clench Million] UVA fiction -- when?! Can't Post

all it has said -- and says now still -- is "pending."

(for those of you who haven't checked online: https://www.applyweb.com/...ustat?app_code=uvaas )

knjay
Nick Kocz

Mar 27, 2006, 1:28 PM

Post #4 of 161 (8642 views)
Shortcut
Re: [emtothejay] UVA fiction -- when?! Can't Post

As of 1:25 pm, I'm still "pending" too. Are other fiction applicants showing anything else?

brooklynpoet

Mar 27, 2006, 1:44 PM

Post #5 of 161 (8630 views)
Shortcut
Re: [knjay] UVA fiction -- when?! Can't Post

I'm not fiction, I'm poetry; but the website says I've been denied.

bp

viviandarkbloom

Mar 27, 2006, 2:29 PM

Post #6 of 161 (8593 views)
Shortcut
Re: [brooklynpoet] UVA fiction -- when?! Can't Post

I just checked my application status and it says: "We have received your application and found your writing sample to be overwrought and full of trite sentiment. Also, there was a typo on page 3. Have you considered hard labor as an alternative path in life?"

Actually, it just says "pending," but I suspect this is what they really mean.

almost

Mar 27, 2006, 3:52 PM

Post #7 of 161 (8545 views)
Shortcut
Re: [emtothejay] UVA Can't Post

11:45am - Pending
12:42pm - Pending
1:21pm - Pending
2:51pm - pending

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Ms. Mystery

Mar 27, 2006, 4:15 PM

Post #8 of 161 (8519 views)
Shortcut
Re: [almost] UVA Can't Post

I don't think the online application check is very accurate. I was just accepted off the waitlist yesterday and mine still says "pending."

duderedman

Mar 27, 2006, 4:20 PM

Post #9 of 161 (8506 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ms. Mystery] UVA Can't Post

allow me to float a theory:

Ms. Mystery is not real a real person and seeks cruel joy by crushing the dreams of others.

remember, it's just a theory!

almost

Mar 27, 2006, 4:21 PM

Post #10 of 161 (8502 views)
Shortcut

Eek, are you poetry, Ms. Mystery? SAY YOU ARE POETRY! Well, say the truth.

Ms. Mystery

Mar 27, 2006, 4:31 PM

Post #11 of 161 (8487 views)
Shortcut
Re: [duderedman] UVA Can't Post

In Reply To

Ms. Mystery is not real a real person and seeks cruel joy by crushing the dreams of others.

You know, this is EXACTLY why I stopped participating in this board. Maybe it's because I feel kind of uncomfortable putting myself out there and saying, "Woo! Check out my good news!" The whole thing felt uncomfortable, and it seemed like a good idea to take an internet break. So, for the record, I am a real person and I don't want to make this whole experience more painful for anybody because it's already painful enough. I really didn't mean to freak anybody out. I wanted to share some information that might help a few people calm down. So, thanks for your theory.

Clench Million
Charles

Mar 27, 2006, 4:41 PM

Post #12 of 161 (8473 views)
Shortcut

Ms. Mystery: Poetry or Fiction?

And congrats. Also, I live in Charlottesville so if you have any questions or anything about the town or maybe UVA, I can answer in a PM.

(This post was edited by Clench Million on Mar 27, 2006, 4:42 PM)

bighark

Mar 27, 2006, 4:42 PM

Post #13 of 161 (8468 views)
Shortcut

Ms. Mystery, I think it's awesome that you got accepted to UVA.

What a great program!

Also, for what it's worth, I think that the dream-crushing comment was someone's attempt to add a little levity to the board. The humor obviously didn't go over very well, but I don't think there was any ill will behind the statement.

Regardless, there's no reason why you should feel like you have to censor yourself.

Congratulations.

emtothejay

Mar 27, 2006, 5:12 PM

Post #14 of 161 (8443 views)
Shortcut

ms. mystery, congrats. are you poetry or fiction?

In Reply To

In Reply To

You know, this is EXACTLY why I stopped participating in this board. Maybe it's because I feel kind of uncomfortable putting myself out there and saying, "Woo! Check out my good news!" The whole thing felt uncomfortable, and it seemed like a good idea to take an internet break. So, for the record, I am a real person and I don't want to make this whole experience more painful for anybody because it's already painful enough. I really didn't mean to freak anybody out. I wanted to share some information that might help a few people calm down. So, thanks for your theory.

duderedman

Mar 27, 2006, 5:32 PM

Post #15 of 161 (8425 views)
Shortcut
Re: [emtothejay] UVA Can't Post

Ms.M, my apologies and congrats. between the delivery of your statement (fairly flippant), your screenname (fairly enigmatic/devious), and the noted use of the internet for lying, I thought we were in for some hornswaggling. I was wrong.

maybe.

let's face it, it's the internet and you COULD be lying. But really, what's the difference? If you got in, what does it matter if some cyberpunk like me questions it?

good luck!

Ms. Mystery

Mar 27, 2006, 6:36 PM

Post #16 of 161 (8390 views)
Shortcut

Apology accepted. In turn, I apologize for my defensive overreaction. As far as flippancy, I'm going to blame the internet for flattening the tone of statements--it's so hard to avoid that problem without the use of emoticons, and I am definitely anti-emoticon. (And Bighark, you're right, that levity went right over my head. I plead emotional exhaustion from this crazy MFA nonsense.)

Anyway, to answer the question: I applied in poetry.

Thanks for the congrats, everybody. Sorry for the drama.

sibyline

Mar 27, 2006, 6:39 PM

Post #17 of 161 (8386 views)
Shortcut

Ms. Mystery has been a longtime poster (well since I've been here anyway a whole five weeks ago :) *and* she also got accepted to Michener, so it doesn't surprise me that she's in at UVA. Congratulations!

And she's a poet, if my memory hasn't failed me yet.

cantonioni

Mar 27, 2006, 10:09 PM

Post #18 of 161 (8336 views)
Shortcut
Post deleted by cantonioni

dtva

Mar 27, 2006, 10:34 PM

Post #19 of 161 (8316 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cantonioni] UVA Can't Post

YES!!! That typo's been driving me nuts for weeks. Of course, it hasn't kept me from checking my online status seven thousand times a day...

perfunctory

Mar 28, 2006, 12:28 AM

Post #20 of 161 (8281 views)
Shortcut

ms. mystery - a big congrats! from what has been said, you have gotten into some excellent programs this year.

rapunzel1983
Marisa Lee

Mar 28, 2006, 1:18 AM

Post #21 of 161 (8270 views)
Shortcut
Re: [viviandarkbloom] UVA fiction -- when?! Can't Post

"I just checked my application status and it says: "We have received your application and found your writing sample to be overwrought and full of trite sentiment. Also, there was a typo on page 3. Have you considered hard labor as an alternative path in life?"

Hilarious!! Congrats, Ms. Mystery. That's a very competitive program.

Yup, I'm pretty sure I'm out at UVA and BU.

cantonioni

Mar 28, 2006, 11:27 AM

Post #22 of 161 (8218 views)
Shortcut

Clench Million
Charles

Mar 28, 2006, 11:55 AM

Post #23 of 161 (8189 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cantonioni] UVA Can't Post

Did they call acceptances for poetry or were both waitlists and acceptances emailed?

Aubrie

Mar 28, 2006, 12:02 PM

Post #24 of 161 (8179 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Clench Million] UVA Can't Post

Congrats Cantonioni! What a great program!

cantonioni

Mar 28, 2006, 12:15 PM

Post #25 of 161 (8392 views)
Shortcut

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

Main Index » Writing and Publishing » MFA Programs

P&W Newsletters

Sign up to receive our monthly email newsletter to stay informed of the latest news, events and more.

Click to Sign Up

Subscribe to P&W Magazine | Donate Now | Advertise | Sign up for E-Newsletter | About Us | Contact Us

© Copyright Poets & Writers 2011. All Rights Reserved