Sign in or Register | Help | Contact Us

Advanced Search

Main Index » Writing and Publishing » MFA Programs
Stegner
You are not signed in. Click here to sign in.
If you are not a member, Register here!
135915 registered users

smiggles

Jun 15, 2005, 5:11 PM

Post #1 of 23 (6213 views)
Shortcut
Stegner Can't Post

Anyone know anything new about the Stegner program first-hand or otherwise? Like what's it like, who do they accept, et cetera.

wiswriter
Bob S.

Jun 16, 2005, 4:40 PM

Post #2 of 23 (6174 views)
Shortcut
Re: [smiggles] Stegner Can't Post

The Stegner is to MFAs what a post-doc is to PhDs. Though anyone can apply it's mainly for people who already have MFAs and/or established writing credentials and want time and support to work on the first book. There's no degree at the end.

thebeatbaby

Jun 26, 2005, 11:52 AM

Post #3 of 23 (6112 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wiswriter] Stegner Can't Post

It's like finding a pile of money on the sidewalk

Kaytie
Kaytie M. Lee

Jun 26, 2005, 1:42 PM

Post #4 of 23 (6108 views)
Shortcut

It's very competitive, participants may get the opportunity to run workshops in the Continuing Education program (either while they are fellows or after they have left the program).

They are often invited to read at Bay Area events wuch as Litquake.org and get to work with world class faculty.

I heard a few of them read and was not particularly impressed--the writing was good and solid, but not the unique gems I thought it would be coming from such a program.

Could have been an off day.

Kaytie M. Lee Last Updated November 2008

creative8
John Smith

Jun 29, 2005, 9:24 PM

Post #5 of 23 (6045 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wiswriter] Stegner Can't Post

In Reply To
The Stegner is to MFAs what a post-doc is to PhDs. Though anyone can apply it's mainly for people who already have MFAs and/or established writing credentials and want time and support to work on the first book. There's no degree at the end.

according to the stanford website, it ain't so ---you need a mfa
see this:--

To be a Stegner Fellow

we do not require a degree for admission
no school of writing is favored over any other

chronological age is not a consideration
Fellowships include a living stipend of $22,000 and required workshop tuition of approximately $6,000, totaling $56,000 for the two-year period. The stipend will be awarded in equal installments at the end of each month of the academic year.

/js

shadowboxer

Jun 29, 2005, 9:40 PM

Post #6 of 23 (6040 views)
Shortcut
Re: [creative8] Stegner Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To

according to the stanford website, it ain't so ---you need a mfa
see this:--

To be a Stegner Fellow

we do not require a degree for admission
no school of writing is favored over any other

chronological age is not a consideration
Fellowships include a living stipend of $22,000 and required workshop tuition of approximately $6,000, totaling $56,000 for the two-year period. The stipend will be awarded in equal installments at the end of each month of the academic year.

/js

Not to be snarky or anything, but I quote "no degree is required for admission." School of writing refers to style as opposed to a (literal) writing school. Hope that helps.

creative8
John Smith

Jun 29, 2005, 9:59 PM

Post #7 of 23 (6037 views)
Shortcut
Re: [shadowboxer] Stegner Can't Post

exactly agree what you're saying shadowboxer, that's what I mean 'it ain't so you need a mfa'
one doesn't need an mfa or even a bachelor's degree.

/js

thebeatbaby

Jun 30, 2005, 1:18 PM

Post #8 of 23 (6016 views)
Shortcut
Re: [creative8] Stegner Can't Post

does that happen often though? that a stegner doesn't have an mfa?

Kaytie
Kaytie M. Lee

Jun 30, 2005, 1:48 PM

Post #9 of 23 (6014 views)
Shortcut
Re: [thebeatbaby] Stegner Can't Post

I don't think anyone outside of the Stegner program can know how many Fellows hold or don't hold an MFA. What we know is what they've told us:

From the Stegner FAQ:

What academic prerequisites are required?
Again, we do not require any specific academic background. Many times people have completed an MFA, but we have admitted writers who have no formal training or college degree. Admission is solely on the merit of the writing.

If your writing is what they're looking for, it doesn't matter if you've graduated college or not--and may not matter whether you've graduated from high school. Since they aren't awarding a degree, pesky CV points like undergraduate work doesn't matter. Probably, many of the Stegner Fellows do hold MFAs--that's how they evolved as writers. Not everyone evolves that way.

When I looked in to applying, the application consisted of the creative work, a brief statement of purpose from the prospective fellow, and one page with your information and a space for you to include the names and contact information of three references. You don't include the letters with your app--the references are only contacted after the committee has reviewed your creative work.

So - They're going to read your creative writing first and judge you on that. If they like what they see, they'll read your statement of purpose. If they continue to like what they see, and like it more than the 695 other applicants, they may call one or more of your references. And then they'll make their decision through means as obfuscated as any selection process.

In this application, grades don't count, education doesn't count. Your creative work has to not only stand on its own, but it has to rise to the top of the pile.

It's worth noting that the Stegner application is being updated and will be available for download on August 1, according to their website. They may be changing their application requirements.

hazelmotes

Nov 16, 2005, 5:21 PM

Post #10 of 23 (5826 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Kaytie] Stegner Can't Post

Well, I never got the Stegner, but I know about 5 people who have, and the deal is this: yeah, most people do have an MFA, but they occasionally admit someone without even a high school diploma (or at least they have in the past.) It is, as someone said earlier, like finding a pile of money on the sidewalk, definately. It's very hard to get, very cush and very very impressive on a resume. Oh, one of the people I know who got the Stegner had a BA but not an MFA. Now he's a tenured professor at a very expensive and well-known college.

MwasereWriter

Feb 25, 2006, 10:12 PM

Post #11 of 23 (5657 views)
Shortcut

Has anyone heard back from the Stegner program? I know the odds are a million to one, but I can't help hoping, a little...

curban14

Feb 26, 2006, 2:25 AM

Post #12 of 23 (5623 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mmrd] Stegner Can't Post

Stephen Elliott was a Stegner w/ out an MFA. He wrote a beautiful little book called Happy Baby.

(This post was edited by curban14 on Feb 26, 2006, 2:26 AM)

poetastin

Feb 26, 2006, 5:23 AM

Post #13 of 23 (5605 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Kaytie] Stegner Can't Post

From the Stegner FAQ:

What academic prerequisites are required?
...Admission is solely on the merit of the writing.

I have to wonder about this, especially when they admit husband and wife teams, such as Julie Orringer and Ryan Harty. What are the odds of that?

MwasereWriter

Feb 26, 2006, 10:06 AM

Post #14 of 23 (5590 views)
Shortcut
Re: [poetastin] Stegner Can't Post

Julie and Ryan were admitted in different years--he got in first. I think she was admitted the following year.

Kaytie
Kaytie M. Lee

Feb 26, 2006, 2:03 PM

Post #15 of 23 (5537 views)
Shortcut

Hey, Poetastin,

I took the FAQ directly from their website. I don't have any insider information. But since the only thing you apply with (at least, at the time I was looking at their submission requirements) is your work and a list of possible references, it seems reasonable. I'm sure their application has been updated--I think I was looking at applying in 2004.

ameliaW

Mar 11, 2006, 4:51 PM

Post #16 of 23 (5344 views)
Shortcut
Re: Stegner Can't Post

Hi. New Here. I've really learned a lot about all the different programs from perusing this board. But I wish I knew, when I applied for the Stegner, if I really stood a chance. They say they accept writers w/out an MFA and all that, but the fellows from the past have been pretty accomplished. I understand this. I think I'm accomplished too. Am I crazy to be disappointed at not getting in? (I'm assuming I didn't, since someone on the other board said a friend had received his/her acceptance call in early March.) Was there virtually no chance, given the odds? Okay, my question is this: does anyone know about the preferences/biases of the "instructors" there? My writing is nothing like Tobias Wolff's. Is there a common factor in terms of content or style in the past fellows, for fiction?

Thanks for reading this! Any info is welcome.

poetastin

Mar 11, 2006, 8:10 PM

Post #17 of 23 (5288 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MwasereWriter] Stegner Can't Post

In Reply To
Julie and Ryan were admitted in different years--he got in first. I think she was admitted the following year.

Right...again I say, What are the odds of that? (Harty's book, you'll notice, was eventually published after he "won" a contest hosted his former school/teachers, after failing to find traditional publication). I'm just hesitant to waste my application money.

viviandarkbloom

Mar 11, 2006, 8:45 PM

Post #18 of 23 (5272 views)
Shortcut

Regarding the style of Stegnerians, and what Tobias Wolff and Elizabeth Talent are looking for, etc: while most seem to be Iowa realists, Adam Johnson was a Stegnerian and wrote Parasites Like Us, which I haven't read, but I've pawed it at the bookstore and it seems to be some sort of futuristic sci-fi adventure thing. So I guess you never know.

sarandipidy

Mar 11, 2006, 9:47 PM

Post #19 of 23 (5247 views)
Shortcut

<<Right...again I say, What are the odds of that? (Harty's book, you'll notice, was eventually published after he "won" a contest hosted his former school/teachers, after failing to find traditional publication). I'm just hesitant to waste my application money.>>

I agree. I think it's BS. You can give them the benefit of the doubt but REALLY--it is a "coincidence" no matter which way you look at it.

sarandipidy

Mar 11, 2006, 9:53 PM

Post #20 of 23 (5242 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sarandipidy] Stegner Can't Post

I just want to add that I don't think it's completely "rigged" or anything, but I don't think that every single acceptee gets in there because of talent. I don't doubt that some do, but I also don't doubt that some don't.

knjay
Nick Kocz

Mar 12, 2006, 10:34 AM

Post #21 of 23 (5177 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

Right...again I say, What are the odds of that? (Harty's book, you'll notice, was eventually published after he "won" a contest hosted his former school/teachers, after failing to find traditional publication). I'm just hesitant to waste my application money.

I haven't read Harty's work but Orringer's HOW TO BREATHE UNDERWATER was fantastic and I'm very certain her work would have risen to the top of anyone's slush submission pile regardless of whatever special strings may or may not have been tugged on her behalf.

andfw

Mar 21, 2006, 12:58 AM

Post #22 of 23 (5045 views)
Shortcut
Re: [knjay] Stegner Can't Post

The 2006 Stegners are up on Stanford's Web site.

Nope, I'm not up there. But I think one of the poets is a guy I sort of know. That and a cup of coffee will get me ... continued anonymity.

sibyline

Mar 21, 2006, 1:15 AM

Post #23 of 23 (5037 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jstgerma] Stegner Can't Post

One of the fiction ones is a friend of a friend who I'm supposed to have dinner with at some point.... good to see two fiction people without MFA's....

Main Index » Writing and Publishing » MFA Programs

P&W Newsletters

Sign up to receive our monthly email newsletter to stay informed of the latest news, events and more.

Click to Sign Up

Subscribe to P&W Magazine | Donate Now | Advertise | Sign up for E-Newsletter | About Us | Contact Us

© Copyright Poets & Writers 2011. All Rights Reserved