Sign in or Register | Help | Contact Us

Advanced Search

Main Index » Writing and Publishing » MFA Programs
Statement of Purpose
You are not signed in. Click here to sign in.
If you are not a member, Register here!
136982 registered users
First page Previous page 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 14 Next page Last page  View All

aluminum

Dec 5, 2007, 1:34 PM

Post #151 of 329 (8175 views)
Shortcut
Capitalization of short stories (& grammar) Can't Post

Should I put my short story title in quotes when I mention it in my SoP?
And also, if this is the title of my short story (which it isn't, ha ha), At the Expense of Seeming Idiotic, is it capitalized correctly?

It's time to rid myself of this Cornell application once and for all! As soon as I have a consensus on these questions I'm putting it in the mail...

forthedogs

Dec 5, 2007, 1:37 PM

Post #152 of 329 (8169 views)
Shortcut
Re: [aluminum] Capitalization of short stories (& grammar) Can't Post

i don't know specifically, but generally short story titles are put in quotes, novels in italics. i think that's mla standard, in any case. or what i remember of it.

and your title is capitalized correctly.

get it in the mail!

pongo
Buy this book!

Dec 5, 2007, 2:07 PM

Post #153 of 329 (8162 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JWhelan] Capitalization of short stories (& grammar) Can't Post

The general rule for titles is that books, or similar large works (tv series, albums, movies, magazines) are italicized (or underlined; the two are morally equal). Something that might be a part of the larger work goes into quotation marks: songs, stories, poems, episodes, etc.

The Review Mirror, available at www.unsolicitedpress.com

Difficult Listening, Sundays from ten to noon (Central time), at http://www.radiofreenashville.org/.

http://home.comcast.net/~david.m.harris/site/

aluminum

Dec 5, 2007, 7:04 PM

Post #154 of 329 (8111 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pongo] Capitalization of short stories (& grammar) Can't Post

thank you both for responding. i ended up putting them both in quotes.

aluminum

Dec 6, 2007, 2:55 PM

Post #155 of 329 (8043 views)
Shortcut
Syracuse SoP Can't Post

Is anyone else applying to Syracuse?

On their website it states "Describe in about 500 words your main academic interests, why you wish to study for the degree you've chosen, why you wish to study at Syracuse University, how you expect to finance your studies, and your plans for the future after you receive your degree"

Personally, I plan on financing my studies with a generous financial aid package and a position as a TA. Am I wrong about the financial assistance provided by the writing program at Syracuse? Does anyone have any opinions on how I should address this question?

(This post was edited by aluminum on Dec 6, 2007, 2:56 PM)

monarca

Dec 6, 2007, 3:42 PM

Post #156 of 329 (8021 views)
Shortcut
Re: [aluminum] Syracuse SoP Can't Post

I think that's a general outline for what they want in a SoP. Not a check list. Mention that you hope to TA in order to get the most of the program and to also help with the finances, if you feel the need to mention anything at all. Personally, I skipped that part. It seemed irrelevant for the MFA degree (but would be relevant for other master's programs at SU).

mpagan

Dec 6, 2007, 3:44 PM

Post #157 of 329 (8018 views)
Shortcut
Re: [aluminum] Syracuse SoP Can't Post

Since Syracuse's M.F.A. offers full funding I just ignored that part.

I think that is standard language they use for all their graduate programs (the one's that don't offer full funding, I guess)

I don't think they'll read through your statement and say "hey - he didn't say how he planned to pay for this - he's out!" Knowing you'd get full funding. So ignore it I say.

Zash
Zachary Ash

Dec 6, 2007, 7:55 PM

Post #158 of 329 (7980 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mpagan] Syracuse SoP Can't Post

Trolling through web pages, I came across a statement of purpose posted online. It's by a student in the Cornell MFA program. What do you guys think, is this a good model? It looks simple and straight-forward.

http://mramireztalusan.blogspot.com/...ment-of-purpose.html

mpagan

Dec 7, 2007, 1:10 PM

Post #159 of 329 (7930 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Zash] Syracuse SoP Can't Post

I think that statement is really good—professional, interesting, but not loopy or fancy pants. Excellent model you can use to think about your own statement. Also, it comes across as an "honest" statement. Notice the writer is providing candid and well written reasons for why they want to pursue the M.F.A. The writer is answering a question. It may be very different from other statements (and it should) but it's not deviating from "why this degree?"

Glyph

Dec 12, 2007, 6:19 AM

Post #160 of 329 (7815 views)
Shortcut
Teaching Philosophy Statement Can't Post

Does anyone have any tips/advice on writing the "Teaching Philosophy" statement that is required by some programs? I'm a bit at a loss because I've never taught creative writing before--the extent of my teaching experience has been teaching ESOL students how to speak and read English. I don't suppose there are any examples out there...?

forthedogs

Dec 12, 2007, 6:45 AM

Post #161 of 329 (7811 views)
Shortcut
Re: [adoten] Teaching Philosophy Statement Can't Post

hi adoten,

i had this problem, too. after talking to current students and one of my lorws, though, i think schools are looking for general thoughts on teaching and why and how you'd be good at it; and that "writing teacher" probably in most cases means Frosh Comp. i don't think that any program expects you to come in with a unified theory on how to teach creative writing. many programs won't even let you until the 2nd year.

sounds to me like you have some good teaching experiences to draw on. you're probably safer talking about what you know about (i.e. your own teaching experience and how that might make you a good teacher in the future outside of ESOL classes) than trying to make something up about cw teaching. i think emotional/intellectual honesty comes across kid of loud and clear in these statements and remaining so is really important.

just make sure to answer all the questions they ask. i think syracuse, for ex., has several questions about this, right?

maybe someone else has more/better/contrary thoughts on the teaching statement.

if you pm me you email address, i can send you mine if you want.

MissEsquire

Dec 12, 2007, 12:04 PM

Post #162 of 329 (7775 views)
Shortcut
Re: [adoten] Teaching Philosophy Statement Can't Post

In Reply To
Does anyone have any tips/advice on writing the "Teaching Philosophy" statement that is required by some programs? I'm a bit at a loss because I've never taught creative writing before--the extent of my teaching experience has been teaching ESOL students how to speak and read English. I don't suppose there are any examples out there...?

adoten,

I just finished writing one of these, too. Like you, I'd never taught writing; I'd been an EngLit T.A. and taught radio broadcasting. Basically, I talked about these experiences and spoke about my opinions on teaching. I avoided talking about what a writing instructor should do because anything I would say on the topic would be total horse pucky. This isn't very specific, but I hope it helps.

Dec 12, 2007, 2:04 PM

Post #163 of 329 (7754 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MissEsquire] Teaching Philosophy Statement Can't Post

I thought of the myriad ways my undergrad workshops sucked, then developed a plan to address them. This became my teaching philosophy.

I'll let you know if it turns out to be a good idea.

six five four three two one 0 ->

Glyph

Dec 12, 2007, 4:37 PM

Post #164 of 329 (7724 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JWhelan] Teaching Philosophy Statement Can't Post

Thanks, all of you. JWhelan, I'll PM you.

bennyprof

Dec 21, 2007, 1:16 AM

Post #165 of 329 (7595 views)
Shortcut
SOP Mistake Can't Post

Well, it happened. I made my first app mistake, which, given the number I'm sending off, was inevitable, right?

Maybe it's not a big mistake, but it's enough to make me a little anxious... in my SOP I referred to Michigan as a "small" program. Which I guess is a subjective enough word for a little cushion, but still... 24 fiction students isn't exactly small, comparatively -- more of a medium size. Somewhere between Cornell and Iowa.

Do you think they'll scratch their heads when they get to that part? (Please say 'no,' even if it's a lie.)

(This post was edited by bennyprof on Dec 21, 2007, 1:17 AM)

HopperFu

Dec 21, 2007, 8:03 AM

Post #166 of 329 (7578 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bennyprof] SOP Mistake Can't Post

Actually, I don't think they'll scratch their heads. To me (even coming from Cornell), Michigan is a small program. Twelve students a year in your field isn't large compared to Columbia or Iowa or some other programs. There are lots of pros and cons to both big and small, but I don't think calling Michigan a small (as in size, we hope, not as in stature) program is a big deal....

bennyprof

Dec 21, 2007, 11:38 AM

Post #167 of 329 (7559 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HopperFu] SOP Mistake Can't Post

That makes me feel a lot better. Thanks, Alexi.

Yeah, I made the "small" comment in reference to a better student to faculty ratio, so I don't need to be worried about them taking it the wrong way.

HopperFu

Dec 21, 2007, 1:09 PM

Post #168 of 329 (7542 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bennyprof] SOP Mistake Can't Post

In Reply To
That makes me feel a lot better. Thanks, Alexi.

Yeah, I made the "small" comment in reference to a better student to faculty ratio, so I don't need to be worried about them taking it the wrong way.

In that case, particularly don't be worried. Compared to a lot of other schools (even a few with smaller class sizes), the student to faculty ratio at Michigan is great.

mr.shankly

Jan 1, 2008, 8:52 PM

Post #169 of 329 (7418 views)
Shortcut
Virginia Personal Statement Can't Post

In the online application for Virginia, there's a section to write a "Personal Statement." I'm finding it difficult to even begin, because I'm unsure of what they're wanting. This is unlike any of the others I've come across so far. I'd appreciate any clues as to what the heck they want. For those of you who aren't applying, here's what the site says:

"Please provide a statement of your academic interests. Your commitment to a selected field of study is assumed; we want you to discuss some of the problems and issues that particularly engage your mind."

Does this mean problems and issues NOT related to my field since it's assumed I'm committed? I could use some help, especially since this is due tomorrow.

Thanks.

bennyprof

Jan 1, 2008, 10:04 PM

Post #170 of 329 (7397 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mr.shankly] Virginia Personal Statement Can't Post

In Reply To

"Please provide a statement of your academic interests. Your commitment to a selected field of study is assumed; we want you to discuss some of the problems and issues that particularly engage your mind."

When they say "Your commitment to a selected field of study is assumed," they're not saying you should write about another field entirely. They just don't want you to spend a lot of time trying to convince them of how dedicated you are.

In any case, it sounds like a general statement they designed to try and encompass all fields. I didn't design my SOP for Virginia as a critical look at the modern literary landscape, and I seriously doubt that's what they have in mind. Just a plain ole statement of purpose'll do, I think.

Jan 1, 2008, 11:50 PM

Post #171 of 329 (7378 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bennyprof] Virginia Personal Statement Can't Post

But damn. Isn't 'academic interests' a little broad, considering how everything -- rap music, sitcoms, pastries -- is considered 'academic', so long as it's prepended by a 'history of' or 'semiotics of'? They just want you to summarize your interests, leave out the committed part, and then delve into the problems you find engaging in each? In the space of a few inches? I mean, what do I zero in on, here? Ecstasy and incontinence in Elizabethan fiction? Patriarchy and the celebrity nip-slip? Because that's a lot to choose from, and then 'problematize', in a few hundred words.

six five four three two one 0 ->

(This post was edited by Junior Maas on Jan 1, 2008, 11:51 PM)

bennyprof

Jan 2, 2008, 1:58 AM

Post #172 of 329 (7358 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Junior Maas] Virginia Personal Statement Can't Post

The nip-slip's got my vote.

Don't know. Can't remember filling out their app (they all run together at this point). Pretty sure I just uploaded my statement of purpose, altered to fit VA's spec's. Wouldn't stress over it in any case.

Raignn

Apr 8, 2008, 5:57 PM

Post #173 of 329 (7171 views)
Shortcut
Re: Sample Statements Can't Post

Well now that I've officially accepted an MFA offer, I just wanted to let anyone applying next year (and this offer stands as long as this post is here, so if you find this in 6 months or whenever you're really starting to think about applications, still feel free to PM me), I am more than willing to send my statement of purpose (which was a bit of a blend with a personal statement) and my teaching philosophy to anyone interested. I'm not necessarily saying they are the best or anything, but I know when I was applying I would have killed for more samples (especially of teaching philosophies!). And they did help me get accepted to 1 program and waitlisted at 4 others (2 of which turned into funded acceptances).

I wanted to extend this offer now before I forgot!

weltanschauung

Apr 9, 2008, 11:58 AM

Post #174 of 329 (7032 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Raignn] Sample Statements Can't Post

Raignn,
That is such a generous offer. I'd be very grateful to see your statement of purpose/teaching philosophy.

Thanks,
Gwyn

SevenFreckles

Oct 14, 2008, 1:06 PM

Post #175 of 329 (6871 views)
Shortcut
Re: [weltanschauung] Sample Statements Can't Post

So this is my second round of applications and I'm working on a new SOP. I feel rather compelled to mention my first attempt at an MFA acceptance in my statement. That round of rejections really taught me a lot. I don't know how appropriate that would be though. It seems like it might draw too much attention to my failure. Any thoughts?

Also, what about schools that I'm reapplying to? Should I mention that specifically at all? Gah! I'm probably stressing myself out needlessly, but please help!

First page Previous page 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 14 Next page Last page  View All

Main Index » Writing and Publishing » MFA Programs

P&W Newsletters

Sign up to receive our monthly email newsletter to stay informed of the latest news, events and more.

Click to Sign Up

Subscribe to P&W Magazine | Donate Now | Advertise | Sign up for E-Newsletter | About Us | Contact Us

© Copyright Poets & Writers 2011. All Rights Reserved