Sign in or Register | Help | Contact Us

Advanced Search

Main Index » Writing and Publishing » MFA Programs
Programs with Poetry and Fiction Emphasis?
You are not signed in. Click here to sign in.
If you are not a member, Register here!
138638 registered users

chitown

Oct 2, 2005, 2:10 PM

Post #1 of 17 (3359 views)
Shortcut
Programs with Poetry and Fiction Emphasis? Can't Post

Hello,

I'm compiling a list of programs that allow students to study in both fiction and poetry since I am interested in both. So far, I've not found much. Does anyone know of any programs like this?

Thanks much.

pongo
Buy this book!

Oct 2, 2005, 4:08 PM

Post #2 of 17 (3348 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chitown] Programs with Poetry and Fiction Emphasis? Can't Post

Do you want to do two theses, or do you just want to spend some time with each genre?

dmh

The Review Mirror, available at www.unsolicitedpress.com

Difficult Listening, Sundays from ten to noon (Central time), at http://www.radiofreenashville.org/.

http://home.comcast.net/~david.m.harris/site/

chitown

Oct 2, 2005, 10:11 PM

Post #3 of 17 (3339 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pongo] Programs with Poetry and Fiction Emphasis? Can't Post

Personally, I'd like to spend time working in both although my main interest is in fiction, and I'd like my thesis to be in fiction. Thanks for asking.

shadowboxer

Oct 2, 2005, 10:22 PM

Post #4 of 17 (3337 views)
Shortcut

Most programs will allow you to take classes in both without a problem. You will want to apply in fiction.

sovietsleepover

Oct 6, 2005, 1:45 PM

Post #5 of 17 (3307 views)
Shortcut

The only programs I know of that require/encourage a secondary genre are the University of Texas' Michener Center (requires 2-3 creative writing classes in a secondary genre, plus you can take more/other genres as electives) & Indiana University.

wiswriter
Bob S.

Oct 6, 2005, 5:45 PM

Post #6 of 17 (3290 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sovietsleepover] Programs with Poetry and Fiction Emphasis? Can't Post

My program, the low-residency Writing Seminars at Bennington, encourages writers to work in all genres and lets you spend one of the four terms in a secondary genre with approval of your previous instructor. The residency is on a single, unified schedule with everyone participating in all lectures and presentations regardless of genre - no separate tracks for different genres. You're encouraged to read outside your genre during the term. And there are some mixed-genre workshops at the residencies that work surprisingly well.

als02

Apr 24, 2007, 3:28 AM

Post #7 of 17 (3201 views)
Shortcut

I also read that the University of Alabama allows a dual concentration. But, in my research, I've found a few other programs that encourage/allow at least one workshop outside of your concentration (like LSU, UMass, Univ. of New Mexico). Just check the course requirements on their websites. And, of course, those that have flexibility with the extra classes you take could probably warrant working in other genres.

jlr

Apr 24, 2007, 8:14 AM

Post #8 of 17 (3192 views)
Shortcut
Re: [als02] Programs with Poetry and Fiction Emphasis? Can't Post

San Jose State University requires work in two genres. You'll be admitted based on the writing sample you submit for your primary genre; when applying, you'll also let them know your proposed secondary field of study. Not sure how things go at the thesis-writing stage, but I'd recommend calling or emailing Alan Soldofsky at SJSU with questions; he's very helpful.

hamlet3145

Apr 24, 2007, 9:55 AM

Post #9 of 17 (3181 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jlr] Programs with Poetry and Fiction Emphasis? Can't Post

For what it's worth, I'm going to graduate from Montana with just about an equal amount of credits divided between poetry and fiction. My thesis is still going to be poetry, though I was told if I got thesis advisiors from both genres to sign off on it I could do a hybrid thesis. It's more common for folks to do a non-fiction/poetry hybrid but in theory if you make a case for it you could likely do a fiction/poetry.

Clench Million
Charles

Apr 24, 2007, 11:02 AM

Post #10 of 17 (3166 views)
Shortcut

Columbia only allows you to take the full fledged workshops in your own concentration, but there are many seminars, lectures and semi-workshops (seminars where you each workshop a couple pieces) that you can take in poetry or non-fiction.

I imagine most programs operate in a similar fashion.

naristy

Apr 24, 2007, 11:08 AM

Post #11 of 17 (3164 views)
Shortcut

Antioch offers a five semester dual concentration MFA during which you study one main genre for three semesters and the other for two. Lesley requires you to study a secondary discipline--this is something that's at the heart of their program. These are both low res though.

bighark

Apr 24, 2007, 3:34 PM

Post #12 of 17 (3128 views)
Shortcut
Re: [naristy] Programs with Poetry and Fiction Emphasis? Can't Post

The School of the Art Institute of Chicago does not distinguish among the genres. You can enter a poet and leave a playwright.

jaywalke

Apr 24, 2007, 3:50 PM

Post #13 of 17 (3124 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bighark] Programs with Poetry and Fiction Emphasis? Can't Post

In Reply To
You can enter a poet and leave a playwright.

"What's he doing with that poet?"

"Never mind those two. Help me with these playwrights; people are leaving them piled everywhere."

(This post was edited by jaywalke on Apr 24, 2007, 3:51 PM)

Mpehn

Dec 3, 2007, 10:03 PM

Post #14 of 17 (2984 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jaywalke] Programs with Poetry and Fiction Emphasis? Can't Post

Ha

This is a question I have as well. I'm interested in really pursuing both facets of writing - fiction and poetry. Ideally, I'd like to be able to deal with both on a similar level of concentration.

lakeshade

Dec 10, 2007, 7:02 PM

Post #15 of 17 (2908 views)
Shortcut

Actually, I think what is more common is graduates leave the School thinking of themselves as literary artists, so, if inclined, you might enter a poet and leave a poet and a playwright, perhaps with a dash of microfiction writer and maker of sound pieces or performance artist on the side. hold the onions, of course.
you would apply there with your best work, even if in more than one genre (or art form).

In Reply To
The School of the Art Institute of Chicago does not distinguish among the genres. You can enter a poet and leave a playwright.

k&d

Apr 6, 2008, 5:02 AM

Post #16 of 17 (2811 views)
Shortcut

How's the SAIC writing program so far?

bighark

Apr 6, 2008, 7:47 PM

Post #17 of 17 (2722 views)
Shortcut
Re: [k&d] Programs with Poetry and Fiction Emphasis? Can't Post

I'm enjoying my time here at SAIC.

If you're considering an offer of admission, send me a PM. I'll be happy to break it down for you.

Main Index » Writing and Publishing » MFA Programs

P&W Newsletters

Sign up to receive our monthly email newsletter to stay informed of the latest news, events and more.

Click to Sign Up

Subscribe to P&W Magazine | Donate Now | Advertise | Sign up for E-Newsletter | About Us | Contact Us

© Copyright Poets & Writers 2011. All Rights Reserved