Sign in or Register | Help | Contact Us

Advanced Search

Main Index » Writing and Publishing » MFA Programs
New School
You are not signed in. Click here to sign in.
If you are not a member, Register here!
136558 registered users
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

bamboo

Mar 29, 2006, 3:38 PM

Post #26 of 75 (4814 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bamboo] Going to The New School ?? Can't Post

I don't know about New School. But I got in the other NY schools and I will go to Sarah lawrence. I have attended a few summer workshops and I know they the faculty. They are outstanding and committed to teaching. The private conferences are a unique feature of this program . Furthermore in no other school there is a range in the age of the student body. I think this is a great asset in a workshop. But again this is all personal.

In Reply To

In Reply To
I'm wondering about the New School as well...hard to guage where it is on the map in relation to other programs. Is it a stellar program? The faculty certainly is, but what about the program itself?? Anyone out there with thoughts on this? Or on the New School as compared to other NY programs - Sarah Lawrence/Columbia?

neens

Mar 30, 2006, 7:09 PM

Post #27 of 75 (4834 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bamboo] New School Can't Post

Does anyone know how many people applied to the New School nonfiction program? Or how many were accepted?

(This post was edited by motet on Apr 19, 2006, 8:41 AM)

blueberry

Mar 30, 2006, 9:42 PM

Post #28 of 75 (4810 views)
Shortcut
Re: [neens] New School Can't Post

i was told that 50 nonfiction students were accepted to the new school by an admin staff member there.
anyone waitlisted at columbia or know (approx.) how many they waitlist?

(This post was edited by motet on Apr 19, 2006, 8:42 AM)

Clench Million
Charles

Mar 30, 2006, 11:21 PM

Post #29 of 75 (4793 views)
Shortcut
Re: [blueberry] New School Can't Post

50 people accepted just for nonfiction? Damn, that's a huge program!
If fiction is the same way I'm gonna feel bad if I don't get in...

(This post was edited by motet on Apr 19, 2006, 8:42 AM)

coolshoes

Mar 30, 2006, 11:41 PM

Post #30 of 75 (4785 views)
Shortcut
Re: [neens] New School Can't Post

I was told The New School got about 750 apps for all genres, and admitted about 120; I'm not sure how that breaks out among fiction, nonfiction, poetry and writing for young children.

(This post was edited by motet on Apr 19, 2006, 8:43 AM)

asneth

Mar 31, 2006, 11:30 AM

Post #31 of 75 (4699 views)
Shortcut
Re: [srujacobs] Does anyone know about New School University's MFA program? Can't Post

What MFA are you two accepted into? Fiction? Nonfiction?

asneth

Mar 31, 2006, 11:38 AM

Post #32 of 75 (4780 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buhlo] anyone heard from New School yet? Can't Post

I got a financial aid letter from them a few weeks ago and called and the mfa department said it was a standard form and they had not yet made their decisions. However, we could be thinking about different forms. What program at The New School did you apply to? I have not received any word yet either way.

wonder01
Miriam Terron-Elder

Mar 31, 2006, 12:25 PM

Post #33 of 75 (4753 views)
Shortcut
Re: [asneth] anyone heard from New School yet? Can't Post

Has anyone heard from NYU yet? I've tried contacting them twice about my application and I can't get anyone to call me back.

Kcchen

Mar 31, 2006, 12:30 PM

Post #34 of 75 (4747 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wonder01] anyone heard from New School yet? Can't Post

My NYU rejection was dated March 20th. I know some ppl found out that they were on the waitlist this week.

Clench Million
Charles

Mar 31, 2006, 12:32 PM

Post #35 of 75 (4741 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wonder01] anyone heard from New School yet? Can't Post

I think all the NYU acceptances heard a while ago.
FWIW I got my wait list letter a few days ago, maybe monday.

neens

Mar 31, 2006, 1:30 PM

Post #36 of 75 (4618 views)
Shortcut
Re: [asneth] Does anyone know about New School University's MFA program? Can't Post

I was accepted to the nonfiction program. Were you accepted to nonfiction or fiction? What do you think of the program? I called the office and spoke with a past fiction student and got some feel for the school, but really how much of a sense of the program and the students in the program can you get over the phone?

wonder01
Miriam Terron-Elder

Mar 31, 2006, 4:08 PM

Post #37 of 75 (4669 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Clench Million] anyone heard from New School yet? Can't Post

In Reply To
I think all the NYU acceptances heard a while ago.
FWIW I got my wait list letter a few days ago, maybe monday.

Called NYU. More notifications have been sent out today. The person wouldn't tell anything else.

asneth

Mar 31, 2006, 4:18 PM

Post #38 of 75 (4846 views)
Shortcut
Re: [neens] Does anyone know about New School University's MFA program? Can't Post

I applied for nonfictio, but I have no idea either way, they haven't sent me anything and they could not disclose decision information when I called and they have not responded to my emails yet, so who knows.

neens

Mar 31, 2006, 6:45 PM

Post #39 of 75 (4803 views)
Shortcut
Re: [asneth] Does anyone know about New School University's MFA program? Can't Post

well good luck. i hope that they get back to you. the wait is agony.

Ditchcake

Apr 3, 2006, 11:57 AM

Post #40 of 75 (4758 views)
Shortcut
New School Fiction Numbers Can't Post

FYI: New School admissions ppl say that there were 380 FICTION applicants and they accepted 30. A nice amount, but still less than 10%, so semi-exclusive-ish, maybe.
I got in and I'm thinking of going. I have no sense of its reputation though. (The website is a bit lacking too.) If anyone is a current/past student and has anything to say, or if anyone out there has just heard ppl say good or bad things about the program at all, please clue me in.
I know ppl keep asking generally about programs and nobody ever answers, but come on, I'm asking so nicely. Please?

Thanks, guys.

asneth

Apr 3, 2006, 12:13 PM

Post #41 of 75 (4749 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ditchcake] New School Fiction Numbers Can't Post

ahh I just wrote you this nice long response and it is lost to the world of the internet.

How did you find out about The New School. Did you get a call? Did you call them? Did you get a letter. If you got a letter, when did it come? If you called them, who did you contact?

I'm going stir crazy waiting for their nonfiction program to responde. I tried to email but no answer. I called a few weeks ago and the guy at the general admissions off (who had contact to my file) could not disclose my status over the phone (said he was not allowed, but he might have said they hadn't decided). I'm so nervous that something happened to my application, like it wasn't complete (reminds me of the dreams of waking up after you miss a test). Although I did get that letter about financial aid from them a while back. Also makes me think they sent a rejection and something happened to it.

Please give me answer!! I may just call them today.

Thanks!

asneth

Apr 3, 2006, 12:31 PM

Post #42 of 75 (4740 views)
Shortcut
New School Contact Can't Post

Ok, I called the admissions office and without even asking my name the woman said that the letters would still be going out over the next couple of weeks. I mentioned the April 15 deadline and the woman acted confused and then said the same thing (as in, a standardized response). I called the writing program who said that she thinks notifications are still going out, but she would transfer me to the admissions office.

Has anyone made CONTACT with The New School in this situation. Has anyone called and been given a straightforward answer if they were rejected or accepted. Has anyone even told them their name over the phone?

Clench Million
Charles

Apr 3, 2006, 1:39 PM

Post #43 of 75 (4702 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ditchcake] New School Fiction Numbers Can't Post

Congrats.

What funding did they offer, if I may ask?

I applied to New School, but couldn't get any real information about hteir funding...

Ditchcake

Apr 3, 2006, 1:39 PM

Post #44 of 75 (4702 views)
Shortcut
Re: [asneth] New School Contact Can't Post

Hey there- (and whoa, calm down-)
So I dont know if this helps but I'll tell you how I was contacted for New School fiction. Well first, a couple weeks ago, I got this cryptic letter in the mail about specific loans/scholarships I would receive, with exact amounts and everything, but it said nowhere whether or not I got in. (It began "we are pleased to inform you..." - i got all excited, then realized it told me nothing. Grr.) So I called the finance office and they said, yeah, we have nothing to do with admissions, you may or may not be accepted, dont ask us. So I waited some more. Then on Mar. 27, I got an email from the "Assistant Dean of Admissions" congratulating me on being accepted, letting me know I should expect a general info package in the mail soon. When I called today to ask some questions (and yes, mentioned my name) , the guy on the phone (I think it was the same "Assistant Dean of Admissions") sounded confused that I hadnt yet received the package, and told me to expect it very shortly.
Okay, there you go - an abundance of probably irrelevant information, all relating to my New School fiction MFA acceptance experience. Speaking of New School fiction MFA, hey, anyone out there have any opinions on the program or know of anyone who does?
(Cough. Cough.)
This thing on?
Thanks.

asneth

Apr 3, 2006, 2:12 PM

Post #45 of 75 (4685 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ditchcake] New School Contact Can't Post

Thanks and I apologize for sounding so frantic! An empty mailbox after a night of no sleep is not the best feeling.
Your recent acceptance makes me want to wait it out a few days. I received the financial letter, but a few weeks ago. When I called to ask about that, at the time, the woman I spoke with said those sent entirely seperate than admission decisions. I will wait till Thursday and maybe call again. I didn't leave a name or anything, so hopefully I won't be a pest.

Thanks again! I appreciate your help! Truly!

pitselah

Apr 3, 2006, 2:50 PM

Post #46 of 75 (4667 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Clench Million] New School Fiction Numbers Can't Post

I was also accepted to the New School for fiction. I got the packet on Friday. They gave me a departmental Scholarship of $4,300/year. I haven't gotten an award letter from the financial aid office yet, so there is still a chance of additional funding I guess.

(This post was edited by pitselah on Apr 3, 2006, 2:53 PM)

debernardi
jeff thorsby

Apr 3, 2006, 11:06 PM

Post #47 of 75 (4660 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nadom] New School Can't Post

Are there any New School poets out there that can share how they made the program work financially? Teaching somewhere, latte-slinger, etc.? I have a fine scholarship, but not enough to take care of everything, and teaching there does not appear to be something they offer.

ApollosQ

Apr 4, 2006, 8:15 PM

Post #48 of 75 (4630 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mizrachi] Instructors at The New School Can't Post

If you're going to the New School in NYC, consider Elaine Equi. She's a poet, so it's not fiction. I took two workshops with her during my undergrad at Rutgers. She was one of the best teachers any subject I've ever had. A good writer, but what she was best at was listening and gently steering you toward your own best writing.

--Dan

clarabow

Apr 4, 2006, 8:59 PM

Post #49 of 75 (4617 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ApollosQ] Instructors at The New School Can't Post

I know funding is important...but I think The New School MFA program is amazing!!!! If you got in there...I'd seriously consider attending and finding, somehow, someway, a way to make it work. Their instructors have a fantastic reputation amongst my friends who have gone through the fiction program. The people I know who have gone through the fiction MFA program at TNS have already started having publishing successes. It seems the professors make a real effort to help their former students make their way into the publishing world.

Clara

Apr 4, 2006, 9:02 PM

Post #50 of 75 (4666 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ApollosQ] Instructors at The New School Can't Post

I don't want to sound rude, but Dale Peck kind of rubs me the wrong way. While I can admire the ballsiness of his published criticism, he comes off as a bit of a hypocrite. For instance, he derides postmodern literature, but was instrumental in the publishing and marketing of J. Saffran-Froer, someone who writes the worst example of work he claims to hate, but who just happened to be the brother of his coworker/buddy. He will speak out about everything he finds 'outrageous' in literature--specifically work that gets more attention than his--but won't comment on real ills, like the habit of friends awarding friends thousands of government writing dollars (because, hey, he's one of those friends). He's a schmoozer, a fast-talker, and reading his stories (which are competent, but nothing snazzy), I get the feeling his connections are responsible for a lot of his published work. I'm not sure he's the kind of teacher I'd seek out.

six five four three two one 0 ->

(This post was edited by Junior Maas on Apr 4, 2006, 9:06 PM)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Main Index » Writing and Publishing » MFA Programs

P&W Newsletters

Sign up to receive our monthly email newsletter to stay informed of the latest news, events and more.

Click to Sign Up

Subscribe to P&W Magazine | Donate Now | Advertise | Sign up for E-Newsletter | About Us | Contact Us

© Copyright Poets & Writers 2011. All Rights Reserved