Sign in or Register | Help | Contact Us

Advanced Search

Main Index » Writing and Publishing » MFA Programs
MFA programs in Arizona
You are not signed in. Click here to sign in.
If you are not a member, Register here!
137833 registered users
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

nicolec24

Mar 20, 2008, 11:58 PM

Post #51 of 79 (7468 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bennyprof] MFA programs in Arizona Can't Post

I received a call from UA on March 7th with a teaching assistantship offer for fiction. FYI: They are on spring break this week.

jlgwriter
Jeanne Lyet Gassman

Mar 21, 2008, 12:47 AM

Post #52 of 79 (7459 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nicolec24] MFA programs in Arizona Can't Post

Just to clarify things--ASU had their spring break last week. U of A is on spring break this week. Don't know if that helps anyone or not...

Jeanne

http://www.jeannelyetgassman.com
http://jeannelyetgassman.blogspot.com

littleneck

Mar 22, 2008, 8:31 PM

Post #53 of 79 (7414 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bennyprof] MFA programs in Arizona Can't Post

Rejection letter from the University of Arizona arrived today, 3/22, for poetry.

Don't know what to make of the fact that I was accepted into the programs at Iowa and at the U. of Michigan, Ann Arbor, but not into the program at Arizona. The rejection makes the whole process (acceptances and rejections alike) seem fairly subjective.

Does any one have any insight? If yes, I'd appreciate hearing what you have to say.

Best of luck to all.

(This post was edited by boneheaded on Mar 22, 2008, 8:34 PM)

hamlet3145

Mar 22, 2008, 8:37 PM

Post #54 of 79 (7411 views)
Shortcut
Re: [boneheaded] MFA programs in Arizona Can't Post

Yup. It's subjective. Good practice for the literary publishing world though.

littleneck

Mar 23, 2008, 10:04 AM

Post #55 of 79 (7363 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Hamlet3145] MFA programs in Arizona Can't Post

Thanks for your take, Hamlet3145.Yes, I think you are probably right.

found

Jan 30, 2009, 12:01 AM

Post #56 of 79 (7224 views)
Shortcut
Re: MFA programs in Arizona Can't Post

Hi everyone, just thought I'd say that I live in Tucson and just finished my undergraduate in CW at the U of A. If anyone applying to Arizona wants a distraction (kinda) from the waiting, feel free to ask me whatever. Some of the mfa faculty teach undergraduate too, and I've taken classes with a few of them (all great). Good luck!
: )

http://foundinfiction.blogspot.com/

(This post was edited by found on Jan 30, 2009, 12:05 AM)

eet2

Jan 30, 2009, 7:10 AM

Post #57 of 79 (7180 views)
Shortcut
Re: [found] MFA programs in Arizona Can't Post

Hi Found -

I am most definitely interested in UA's program....can you just give me a general overview of the ups/downs of Tucson and the program itself?? Thanks!!

found

Jan 30, 2009, 1:14 PM

Post #58 of 79 (7080 views)
Shortcut
Re: [eet2] MFA programs in Arizona Can't Post

hi eet2--

i'm not sure i know where to start, without a more specific question, but i'll see what i can do!

from my own experience: as far as nonfiction and poetry, alison hawthorne deming is amazing, and manuel muñoz (fiction) is incredible, too. (he's new here). there are a lot of great faculty members in both creative writing and literature.

i can't tell you too much about the atmosphere in the mfa program, because there's really very little interaction between grad and undergrad (unless they're teaching a class...i took an introductory fiction workshop with a great grad student teacher). but i know there's a lot going on in the department in general (housed in the english dept). the poetry center always has something going on, readings etc. i've been to one of the separate grad student readings at casa libre and it seems like those are really fun and intimate.

as far as tucson goes, the biggest downside for me is just the heat. it's oppressive. it's nice here in the winter, great in the spring, but summer is definitely the longest season. also, unless you live right on campus, (or you really love biking, even in 115 degree weather), you probably want to drive. the bus system is crap. you can make it if you live on a bus route that heads straight to campus without transfers, but it's confusing and it's a pain.

there's some fun stuff to do around town. we have the loft, a little indie/arthouse cinema, and they always have all kinds of crazy/interesting things going on. there's definitely stuff to do at night, a pretty good selection of restaurants and bars (but nothing like you'd get in a more metropolitan kind of city...tucson kind of feels more like a really big town). 4th ave, university ave and a few places downtown are the main areas for going out, all really close to the university. there's a drive-in movie theatre here too, which i love.

honestly speaking, you want to live as close to campus as you can. it's not hard to find a relatively affordable place, especially if you're sharing. campus feels homey. you'll probably spend most of your time in the modern languages building, which is close to the student union (the food court is there, unfortunately we don't have a traditional dining hall) and the library. i have to say that i don't understand why there are metal benches all over campus--you definitely don't want to get anywhere near those in the summer.

if you love the desert, you'll love tucson. (i kind of don't love the desert. i grew up in arizona and all i want is greenery). we're surrounded by mountains and you don't have to drive far at all to get to "the desert"--saguaros and all. there's also mt. lemon pretty close by, when you want to get out of the heat. the monsoons are always fun, when they come. lots and lots of rain. bisbee is a really fun daytrip.

well, that was incredibly long and i don't know how helpful it was. let me know if there's anything specific you're wondering about.

Md23Rewls

Jan 30, 2009, 2:09 PM

Post #59 of 79 (7049 views)
Shortcut

Arizona's one of the places I applied to and that sounds more or less like what I thought. I got a laugh out of the metal benches thing. I think right now Arizona is fourth in my rankings (out of six). I like the looks of the program, I'm just slightly iffy on moving to that sort of climate. I've grown up around snow and varied seasons, I might perish in the heat, haha.

reality writes

Jan 30, 2009, 2:15 PM

Post #60 of 79 (7040 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Md23Rewls] MFA programs in Arizona Can't Post

I'm right there with you. (metal benches - hilarious!) I think I'd like the music scene in Tuscon, but it would take some getting used to the weather. I applied to Arizona State, too. I had to get over my climate preferences a little this year (my second time applying to MFAs). I figure that where the funding is, I should go. Also, I think living in a place like Arizona for only 2-3 years isn't the worst thing. It'd be like living on the moon, but hotter. And I'm sure being somewhere so different from where I've grown up and spent my early adult years (TN and NC) could really affect my writing in a good way, even if I just write with a nostalgic sense of place. My bf lived in the Phoenix area for a while, and he agreed with me. He hated waking up to 95 degree weather, but said it was still a cool place to live and something everyone should experience at least once in their life.

found

Jan 30, 2009, 2:32 PM

Post #61 of 79 (7023 views)
Shortcut
Re: [reality writes] MFA programs in Arizona Can't Post

I moved to Tucson after spending my freshman year in Boston (I had finally escaped Arizona)! I transferred to the U of A because of a relationship, and I've been here 3 1/2 years now. I think it's the best city in Arizona. Flagstaff's right behind it (they have better weather). I'm ready to go, but you can definitely enjoy yourself here if you put your mind to it. And it turned out that transferring to UA was a really good move for me. I probably wouldn't be applying to MFA programs now if I hadn't. Good luck everyone!

PrivateI

Feb 1, 2009, 1:04 AM

Post #62 of 79 (6919 views)
Shortcut

So when you guys call Tucson "artistically inclined," what do you mean? I'm a resident of Portland, OR, where everyone I meet is an artist of some variety, and there are murals and parades and art parties and zombie bar crawls (where people dress up as Zombies and walk around en masse).

v1ctorya

Feb 1, 2009, 11:47 AM

Post #63 of 79 (6870 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PrivateI] MFA programs in Arizona Can't Post

I had a childhood in Tempe and hope college brings me back there. In fact, while cleaning I found a book I won from the Tempe Library as a kid (1st place in a 'draw a mystery' contest while in 1st or 2nd grade, woot!) Anyway, I remember going to Tucson, but just to see the 'wildlife' and three-toed tree-toads and stuff. We used to camp there. I'm trying to think of an alternative way to describe it, because I always think more of Sedona as the arts colony in AZ, but it's been so long. . .

Of course, yesterday I watched a nature special that profiled the increase of africanized bees in AZ which freaked me out, they didn't have those when I was a kid! They showed them all swarmy and then had testimonials from people attacked, ick. Back then it was just the Choia we worried about.

NotRoyalButJohn

Mar 1, 2009, 3:03 PM

Post #64 of 79 (6771 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HollyHolly] MFA programs in Arizona Can't Post

Does anyone know anything about Peter Turchi, the new director of the ASU MFA? I've heard that the program, especially fiction, has suffered since he took over--but I haven't been able to get specifics.

If you know anything, let me (us?) know. I think ASU will start notifying this week.

found

Mar 1, 2009, 4:01 PM

Post #65 of 79 (6742 views)
Shortcut
Re: [NotRoyalButJohn] MFA programs in Arizona Can't Post

Sorry, I really don't know much about ASU. I can warn you, though, that you should do a lot of research about Phoenix before you commit to living there for a couple of years. Some people really love it----others, like myself, can barely stand to visit. Of course, anything is worth it if you get funding at a program you admire.

For anyone thinking about U Arizona/Tucson, I posted an updated review, with links, on my blog. If you're interested:

http://foundinfiction.blogspot.com/.../arizona-anyone.html

Hope it helps! Good luck everyone.

NotRoyalButJohn

Mar 1, 2009, 4:09 PM

Post #66 of 79 (6736 views)
Shortcut

Re: ASU Fiction MFA, I've heard things in the past few months like "they don't know how to run a fiction program" and "it's very competitive, but doesn't show in the quality of student work." Not sure how to process or contexualize these comments, and I'm looking for anyone who's willing to share additional information.

I used to live in Phx, so that's not the issue.

Dime49

Mar 1, 2009, 4:26 PM

Post #67 of 79 (6724 views)
Shortcut

Peter Turchi has been head of the program for only a few weeks, so I'm not sure how this would cause the program to suffer. I'm at ASU in poetry, so I can't speak specifically to the fiction program other than to say everyone I know in it seems to be quite happy. And from what I know of Peter, he is pretty dedicated to students, and the people I know like him.

Overall the atmosphere at ASU is quite supportive, particularly since everyone is funded. But that's just my sense of it. Maybe others have different views.

NotRoyalButJohn

Mar 1, 2009, 4:30 PM

Post #68 of 79 (6719 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dime49] MFA programs in Arizona Can't Post

That's refreshing to hear, as ASU has been at the top of my list. Maybe those comment were directed more at the previous director? Either way, thanks for the insight.

prosaic70

Mar 2, 2009, 12:15 AM

Post #69 of 79 (6658 views)
Shortcut

I'm going to agree with Dime49. I'm in the fiction program myself, and Peter is a pretty great teacher to have. I don't know about the quality of my work not reflecting the competitiveness, but I'm happy with the faculty here, and glad I chose to come here over the other places I was admitted. I don't know where you would have heard "they don't know how to run a fiction program", but it seems inaccurate. The program is well run and the professors very committed. All initial reports on the Turchi reign are positive-- he's involved, hands-on, very helpful, and pretty experienced at running a solid program (he was director of Warren Wilson for years and years I believe).

(This post was edited by prosaic70 on Mar 2, 2009, 12:18 AM)

NotRoyalButJohn

Mar 2, 2009, 2:13 PM

Post #70 of 79 (6593 views)
Shortcut
Re: [prosaic70] MFA programs in Arizona Can't Post

Again, I appreciate the response. If Turchi is new, who was the prev. director?

drroche37

Mar 3, 2009, 12:30 AM

Post #71 of 79 (6529 views)
Shortcut

I did my undergrad at ASU and in terms of poetry I can honestly say the faculty was incredibly helpful: Sally Ball, Norman Dubie, and Jeannine Savard always had their office doors open.
As for living in Tempe, I loved it and I miss it.

I’m a current MFA playwright at SFSU.

scottjmonty

May 30, 2010, 11:46 AM

Post #72 of 79 (6086 views)
Shortcut
Re: MFA programs in Arizona Can't Post

Hola! I'm going to be an MFA student at ASU starting fall of '10, will be arriving in mid-july. are there any writers reading this who are looking for a roomate in Tempe or know of a group of awosome people who are? let me know, i'd appreciate it

Salud!

jlgwriter
Jeanne Lyet Gassman

May 31, 2010, 6:20 PM

Post #73 of 79 (6043 views)
Shortcut
Re: [scottjmonty] MFA programs in Arizona Can't Post

Scott,

There are some apartment complexes close to the university that offer individual leases for roommates and do roommate matching. The Gateway at Tempe is one. You can have up to three roommates in a four-bedroom unit. Each roommate signs an individual lease and is responsible only for his/her share of the rent. Utilities are handled separately, though. Apartments come furnished or unfurnished.

Try Googling the name. Also, check out the ASU site. I believe there is a link to housing with tons of information on apartments and rentals in the area.

I don't go to ASU, but both or our kids are undergrads there.

Jeanne

gegonsher

Jun 7, 2010, 7:39 PM

Post #74 of 79 (5729 views)
Shortcut
MFA programs in Arizona Can't Post

In Reply To
Scott,

There are some apartment complexes close to the university that offer individual leases for roommates and do roommate matching. The Gateway at Tempe is one. You can have up to three roommates in a four-bedroom unit. Each roommate signs an individual lease and is responsible only for his/her share of the rent. Utilities are handled separately, though. Apartments come furnished or unfurnished.

Try Googling the name. Also, check out the ASU site. I believe there is a link to housing with tons of information on apartments and rentals in the area.

I don't go to ASU, but both or our kids are undergrads there.

Jeanne

Papercuts

Mar 12, 2011, 11:49 AM

Post #75 of 79 (3829 views)
Shortcut
University of Arizona Can't Post

I have been admitted to the University of Arizona's Creative Writing MFA program in fiction. I'd love to talk with current or former students about the program. I'm particularly interested in finding out about funding: how likely I am to receive it and in what form. I was told that they would know more about funding availability in the next few weeks, but one of my programs is requesting a decision by April 1, so I need to make a decision sooner rather than later.

Thanks in advance.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Main Index » Writing and Publishing » MFA Programs

P&W Newsletters

Sign up to receive our monthly email newsletter to stay informed of the latest news, events and more.

Click to Sign Up

Subscribe to P&W Magazine | Donate Now | Advertise | Sign up for E-Newsletter | About Us | Contact Us

© Copyright Poets & Writers 2011. All Rights Reserved