Sign in or Register | Help | Contact Us

Advanced Search

Main Index » Writing and Publishing » MFA Programs
MFA programs in Arizona
You are not signed in. Click here to sign in.
If you are not a member, Register here!
135963 registered users
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

bennyprof

Mar 17, 2008, 11:26 AM

Post #26 of 79 (3493 views)
Shortcut
Re: [debernardi] MFA programs in Arizona Can't Post

Okay, so I'm pretty sure all of this year's U of A fellowship recipients have already been e-mailed. Any word on the rest of their acceptances? It's a big program (I think they take 20+/genre/yr) so I can't help but think they haven't finished notifying yet.

I did e-mail the lady in charge of/coordinating MFA admissions (Ms. Cooksey) and she told me they would be notifying by the end of the week (which would have been last Friday) by e-mail or post.

Anyone get a letter today?

-B

Daaaaave

Mar 17, 2008, 12:06 PM

Post #27 of 79 (3470 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bennyprof] MFA programs in Arizona Can't Post

I still haven't heard anything either.

As a nonfiction applicant, it's extra frustrating since no acceptances have been posted. C'mon, they were the first ones last year!

bennyprof

Mar 17, 2008, 12:53 PM

Post #28 of 79 (3442 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Daaaaave] MFA programs in Arizona Can't Post

Well, if nobody posts today or tomorrow it might be next week before we hear anything, this week being spring break and all.

ilikemandioca

Mar 17, 2008, 1:09 PM

Post #29 of 79 (3423 views)
Shortcut

Wow, I'm really glad to read that neither of you have heard anything either! I applied to both Fiction and Nonfiction at U of Arizona and haven't heard a word. I called last week and heard that "most of the decisions" had been made. I think I called on Thursday...whoever I talked with said that "some people have been emailed and the rest are being snail mailed". She said some of the snail mail had already gone out and some of it was being sent out "today or tomorrow" (Which was this past Thurs and Fri). I really had expected to hear something by Friday (I live in Tucson, so I figured the mail wouldn't have far to go).

On Friday, though, I ran into a guy I know from the non-fiction program. He said that Alison Demming told their workshop that there was an especially high level of submissions this year and the department had had to make some difficult decisions. He seemed to think that the TA offers had gone out, but that the fact that I hadn't heard yet didn't mean I was rejected.

So...I'm riding on the hope that I'll hear something today. Going home from work early to check the mail. Am getting realllly nervous...

I'll post if I hear anything else.

Debbie

bennyprof

Mar 17, 2008, 1:50 PM

Post #30 of 79 (3402 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ilikemandioca] MFA programs in Arizona Can't Post

All the TA's have gone out, huh? Well, without funding there's a good chance I won't be going anyway.

How do you like Tucson? Is living in the desert as depressing as it sounds? ;)

Daaaaave

Mar 17, 2008, 2:18 PM

Post #31 of 79 (3376 views)
Shortcut

Same here, if I don't have a shot at a Taship/funding it's pretty much out of the question.

Kinda sad too, I was thinking the warm weather might be a step up from northern Michigan :)

fiorava
Valerie Fioravanti

Mar 17, 2008, 3:49 PM

Post #32 of 79 (3344 views)
Shortcut

I live in Tucson, and I think it's a great little city. Hard to imagine it as depressing at all. The weather, except for the atrocious summer, is spectacular, and the city is surrounded on all sides by mountain ranges dotted with saguaros, and great sunsets. The city has good restaurant choices, a live music scene, tons of cafes and bars, etc. I'm from NYC, so I know it doesn't have big city variety, but it also lacks big city frustrations. I'm pretty happy here.

I don't have anything to do with the UofA program. I already have an MFA and I teach CW online for two CA schools. I do have two students who were accepted there, one with funding and one without. For you waitlisters, neither are planning to accept.

(This post was edited by fiorava on Mar 17, 2008, 3:53 PM)

ilikemandioca

Mar 17, 2008, 4:32 PM

Post #33 of 79 (3315 views)
Shortcut

Tucson? Depressing? On the contrary, Tucson is a lovely little town. Ok, maybe not so little, but it feels that way. I am so in love with Tucson that U of A is the only school I applied to because I'm not at all ready to leave this place.

I'm in a workshop group with a couple of U of A non-fiction students. I know U of A has been eyeball-deep in hiring two new faculty--one fiction professor and one non-fiction professor, I believe. I think they just finished that process, which is apparently why they've been taking their sweet time with our applications this year.

Arrrgh, the torture of waiting....glad you're all going through it with me :)

Debbie

p.s. just came home to check the mail. nada.

ilikemandioca

Mar 17, 2008, 4:41 PM

Post #34 of 79 (3298 views)
Shortcut

One more thing: did you guys receive a confirmation email or letter saying that your applications were complete?

I didn't receive anything, which I guess maybe isn't strange, but I'm hoping that my applications and WSs actually made it the mile and a half down the road to the Modern Languages building....

ilikemandioca

Mar 18, 2008, 8:11 PM

Post #35 of 79 (3228 views)
Shortcut
Re: [fiorava] MFA programs in Arizona Can't Post

Your students who were accepted to the U of A...what genre were they accepted to? Just curious...

fiorava
Valerie Fioravanti

Mar 18, 2008, 9:43 PM

Post #36 of 79 (3198 views)
Shortcut

Both were accepted in fiction.

camm

Mar 19, 2008, 8:57 AM

Post #37 of 79 (3147 views)
Shortcut

bennyprof,
i was accepted in poetry on 3/17 by email. no financial aid or TAship.

Daaaaave

Mar 19, 2008, 1:37 PM

Post #38 of 79 (3120 views)
Shortcut
Re: [camm] MFA programs in Arizona Can't Post

Ok, somebody's going to have to take one for the team and call them about nonfiction. I can't do it because I'm at work, but the fact that poetry and fiction have been contacted already is killing me!

lovesapricots

Mar 19, 2008, 2:26 PM

Post #39 of 79 (3099 views)
Shortcut

Hi,

I was accepted for nonfiction at U of Arizona around March 12th, via phone. No funding though. Sorry not to post sooner, and I have no sense of where they are with the rest of their notifications for nonfiction, but thought I'd share what I do know.

Good luck!

Daaaaave

Mar 19, 2008, 3:55 PM

Post #40 of 79 (3071 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lovesapricots] MFA programs in Arizona Can't Post

Yeah, it's good to know!

Sort of a bummer because that probably means I didn't get in, but at least I'm not tormented with the "when are they going to let us know" question.

ilikemandioca

Mar 20, 2008, 12:16 PM

Post #41 of 79 (3026 views)
Shortcut

Yeah, I'm totally confused. What are they doing over there? How is it that I haven't heard of any rejections being sent out? Does everyone else think they're doing rounds? Should I still be crossing my fingers? Or should I move on to "Plan B"....of course, I'd have to make a Plan B first.

;)

<3 Debbie

bennyprof

Mar 20, 2008, 12:23 PM

Post #42 of 79 (3021 views)
Shortcut

Got my rejection yesterday, so they're in the mail.

stacylynn

Mar 20, 2008, 12:34 PM

Post #43 of 79 (3009 views)
Shortcut

Just to clarify, you guys are talking about U of Arizona letters being in the mail, right?

I am still waiting to hear from Arizona STATE. Has anyone heard from them ?

bennyprof

Mar 20, 2008, 12:36 PM

Post #44 of 79 (3008 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stacylynn] MFA programs in Arizona Can't Post

Yep, U of A. Don't know anything about ASU.

auroraleigh

Mar 20, 2008, 12:48 PM

Post #45 of 79 (2996 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stacylynn] MFA programs in Arizona Can't Post

I heard from ASU back in February (for poetry). Not sure about fiction.

jdavis

Mar 20, 2008, 1:47 PM

Post #46 of 79 (2969 views)
Shortcut
Re: [auroraleigh] MFA programs in Arizona Can't Post

Just got a waitlist email for Arizona U. in nonfiction. Yay! So apparently they're still working on notifications, folks who are waiting to hear...

ilikemandioca

Mar 20, 2008, 3:31 PM

Post #47 of 79 (2930 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jdavis] MFA programs in Arizona Can't Post

to clarify, you got a waitlist email from University of Arizona? Or Arizona State University?

jdavis

Mar 20, 2008, 4:16 PM

Post #48 of 79 (2911 views)
Shortcut

Sorry -- it was a waitlist from University of Arizona.

ilikemandioca

Mar 20, 2008, 8:44 PM

Post #49 of 79 (2867 views)
Shortcut

Sorry to hear that, bennyprof. :( rejections are no fun.

what genre did you apply for?

bennyprof

Mar 20, 2008, 8:59 PM

Post #50 of 79 (2863 views)
Shortcut

fiction.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Main Index » Writing and Publishing » MFA Programs

P&W Newsletters

Sign up to receive our monthly email newsletter to stay informed of the latest news, events and more.

Click to Sign Up

Subscribe to P&W Magazine | Donate Now | Advertise | Sign up for E-Newsletter | About Us | Contact Us

© Copyright Poets & Writers 2011. All Rights Reserved