Sign in or Register | Help | Contact Us

Advanced Search

Main Index » Writing and Publishing » MFA Programs
Iowa MFA
You are not signed in. Click here to sign in.
If you are not a member, Register here!
135859 registered users
First page Previous page 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 Next page Last page  View All

ericweinstein
Eric Weinstein

Nov 15, 2009, 10:30 PM

Post #426 of 466 (10475 views)
Shortcut
Re: [taraberyl] Iowa MFA SOP Can't Post

Ugh, I'm putting my application materials together this week. Nervous already.

Also—and I hope I'm not re-opening a can of worms—does anyone know where Raysen ended up going?

Hans Landa: You'll be shot for this!
Aldo Raine: Nah, I don't think so. More like chewed out. I've been chewed out before.

Anurag

Dec 6, 2009, 2:16 PM

Post #427 of 466 (9886 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ericweinstein] Iowa MFA - GRE Can't Post

I am putting everything together as well but very worried about the GRE. Would be needing funding and they say we should send the GRE scores if funding is required? Does the GRE assume a decisive presence? I am a dead man - because I would be awful with it .. have it next week...

Anurag

ericweinstein
Eric Weinstein

Dec 6, 2009, 2:56 PM

Post #428 of 466 (9878 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Anurag] Iowa MFA - GRE Can't Post

The Iowa website (http://www.uiowa.edu/~iww/admissions/requirements.htm) says:

"General GRE scores (optional)
Admission to the Workshop is based on your writing sample and not your GRE scores. The University of Iowa Writers’ Workshop does not require GRE scores for admission. However, student applications that include GRE scores may be more competitive for a greater range of financial assistance."

To me (and please, if someone knows better, please correct me), this sounds like they use GRE scores to determine some aspects of funding or to "break ties" between candidates that are otherwise nearly identical on paper. I'm almost certain, however, that they won't deny significant funding to students who elect not to send their GRE scores. I finished my application last week and did choose to send mine, but I wouldn't have done so if I hadn't thought they were strong enough. If you're worried, Anurag, my advice is not to send them.

Aldo Raine: Nah, I don't think so. More like chewed out. I've been chewed out before.

Anurag

Dec 6, 2009, 3:12 PM

Post #429 of 466 (9871 views)
Shortcut

Hey Eric,

This makes me optimistic. I really think the GRE is a dreadful exam and see no point why writers have to take this...Thanks for the insight. I am applying from India and funding is a crucial factor for me since I dont want to spend money on a creative writing course. It is anyway, an unpredictable profession - so burdening myself with loans would be foolish. I spoke to an Indian Iowa fiction alumni who lives in my city and she says Iowa funds everyone. ..I might choose not to send my scores, depending on how much I score next week..

Anurag

Anurag

bighark

Dec 6, 2009, 3:40 PM

Post #430 of 466 (9864 views)
Shortcut

Generally speaking, stellar GRE scores (think 1500 and above) can qualify students for university-level funding in the form of grants and fellowships at universities whose graduate schools consider GRE scores.

Program-level funding does not consider GRE performance. If you get accepted to the program, you'll get funding. If you have rock-star GRE scores, the university may step in with additional funds or the opportunity to take free money instead of teaching. Either way, if a program says you don't have to send the GRE, don't feel like you have to send it.

That goes double for people who'd have to pay to send their scores. My standard is 1500, but I could see a case for 1400. Either way, if your scores are fair to middling, don't waste your money.

I've never served on an admissions committe, but from what I've been told, tie-breaker situations may call for a review of the applicants' statement essays and letters of recommendation and possibly C.V.s and GPAs. GRE scores are never mentioned.

ericweinstein
Eric Weinstein

Dec 6, 2009, 7:12 PM

Post #431 of 466 (9810 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bighark] Iowa MFA - GRE Can't Post

Thank you, bighark.

Lux

Dec 23, 2009, 5:16 PM

Post #432 of 466 (9298 views)
Shortcut
More than one Can't Post

Panic! Just emailed Iowa to ask this question, but they're out of the office for the holiday until AFTER the deadline. Does anyone know, please: if applying to both poetry and fiction, should I submit two separate applications and application fees? Should the personal statement, etc. be different on each? The website mentions that each sample portfolio would need its own coversheet and can be mailed together, but nothing further about applying to both genres.

ericweinstein
Eric Weinstein

Dec 23, 2009, 7:51 PM

Post #433 of 466 (9266 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Lux] More than one Can't Post

You're right—I'm having trouble finding any mention of additional fees, &c for those submitting in both genres on Iowa's website. All the other schools to which I'm applying stipulate that those applying in two genres must submit two totally separate applications, including two separate application fees. (Question, Lux: when you filled out the Iowa application, it asked you to indicate your primary course of study within the MFA program. Did you write "poetry," "fiction," or both?)

I'll keep researching this one. If anyone comes up with an answer, please post.

Lux

Dec 23, 2009, 7:56 PM

Post #434 of 466 (9263 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ericweinstein] More than one Can't Post

I haven't actually submitted it yet. I just realized that they say you're allowed to apply to both, so I went looking for additional info and didn't find it. Will keep looking. If anyone knows, please fill us in!

Zuleika Dobson

Dec 23, 2009, 8:24 PM

Post #435 of 466 (9255 views)
Shortcut

The other schools I've come across that allow candidates to apply to more than one genre have stipulated two separate fees, so I'm guessing this is the case with Iowa too.

"Every spectator is a coward or a traitor."

Lux

Dec 23, 2009, 8:39 PM

Post #436 of 466 (9244 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Zuleika Dobson] More than one Can't Post

Virginia actually just asks for one app and fee.

sdh11

Dec 23, 2009, 8:41 PM

Post #437 of 466 (9243 views)
Shortcut

Brenda,
I emailed Iowa about the personal statement and they said one statement for both genres. Can't say for sure about the application fee, but I just assumed I wouldn't have to pay it twice, so I only did one online application and paid just one fee.
Hope this helps!
-S

Lux

Dec 23, 2009, 8:50 PM

Post #438 of 466 (9236 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sdh11] More than one Can't Post

That does help, thanks. I kind of feel like if they wanted separate apps they would have asked for them?

Lux

Dec 27, 2009, 11:32 PM

Post #439 of 466 (9037 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ericweinstein] More than one Can't Post

For anyone else who is still wondering about how to apply to both poetry and fiction at Iowa, I just got a response from Connie Brothers. Submit two manuscripts (one of each genre), each with its own coversheet. They can be mailed together. Everything else can be submitted once, including the application and fee. Just specify 'poetry and fiction' or what have you where it asks for your area of focus on the application. Hope this helps!

00emily

Jan 3, 2010, 2:34 PM

Post #440 of 466 (8607 views)
Shortcut
Postmark Deadline Can't Post

Just curious - the postmark deadline listed on Iowa's site is today (Sunday) which must be a mistake. Has anyone called to ask if tomorrow's postmark would be acceptable, or if the deadline was effectively yesterday? I have been in travel hell, and could not get it out yesterday.

ericweinstein
Eric Weinstein

Jan 3, 2010, 4:49 PM

Post #441 of 466 (8574 views)
Shortcut
Re: [00emily] Postmark Deadline Can't Post

I imagine they intended Saturday, January 2 to be the last acceptable postmark date, but since the language is somewhat ambiguous they might accept material postmarked on Monday, 1/4. If no one else has called, you might want to do so tomorrow to check.

bighark

Jan 3, 2010, 8:54 PM

Post #442 of 466 (8518 views)
Shortcut
Re: [00emily] Postmark Deadline Can't Post

Generally, if a postmark deadline falls a Sunday, you get that next Monday, too. Send your stuff to Iowa tomorrow.

Good luck.

bardberry

Jan 5, 2010, 1:33 PM

Post #443 of 466 (8366 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bighark] Postmark Deadline Can't Post

What's Iowa's response time?

Trilbe

Jan 5, 2010, 1:38 PM

Post #444 of 466 (8364 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bardberry] Postmark Deadline Can't Post

Check Seth's blog:

http://sethabramson.blogspot.com/2009/01/2009-data-bank-of-mfa-application.html

bardberry

Jan 5, 2010, 1:41 PM

Post #445 of 466 (8362 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Trilbe] Postmark Deadline Can't Post

Thanks!!!

00emily

Jan 5, 2010, 5:57 PM

Post #446 of 466 (8316 views)
Shortcut

Thanks, bighark - I went for it.

Trilbe

Jan 5, 2010, 7:24 PM

Post #447 of 466 (8296 views)
Shortcut

No prob, bardberry!

@all - Is someone going to record the response times this year? What will we do -- what will future cycles of applicants do without this resource? Seth is doing his PhD now, I'm sure he needs to focus on his writing and he's done a great enough service to this community by just setting up the system. Bless his heart, keeping that data is clearly labor intensive and time consuming.

But someone should keep this going! I would be happy to help/contribute in any way that I can. Any ideas on how this should proceed? Is someone out there already working on this? With Seth? Is Seth out there? What's up with this? Does anyone know?

umass76

Jan 5, 2010, 10:12 PM

Post #448 of 466 (8275 views)
Shortcut

Hey there Trilbe--
I've heard that someone's going to be doing this. I don't want to step on their toes/steal their thunder, but suffice to say it's going to happen. I was already asked for permission to use my template/data and (of course!) I said yes. When I know more I'll post a link to what they're doing. Again, though, I think you can rest assured that this'll happen, and frankly if someone else doesn't do it I plan to (so either way, you're covered). Be well,
Seth

Trilbe

Jan 5, 2010, 11:20 PM

Post #449 of 466 (8257 views)
Shortcut
Re: [umass76] Postmark Deadline Can't Post

That's great news!

I've been following this forum and the MFA blog for the past couple of years, preparing for my apps this year, and things like the response times have been a lifesaver. I'm glad someone is going to keep the fire burning. I'm also glad to see that you're going to be able to focus your energy onto YOUR POETRY! I've often felt that, as grateful as I was for the info, that still you should be writing poems instead of tutoring us. Good luck to you!

Anurag

Feb 19, 2010, 10:46 AM

Post #450 of 466 (6984 views)
Shortcut

Hey please update if anyone gets to hear from Iowa - yes or no! I am getting sick worrying. I feel I am sitting on a time bomb.

Anurag

First page Previous page 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 Next page Last page  View All

Main Index » Writing and Publishing » MFA Programs

P&W Newsletters

Sign up to receive our monthly email newsletter to stay informed of the latest news, events and more.

Click to Sign Up

Subscribe to P&W Magazine | Donate Now | Advertise | Sign up for E-Newsletter | About Us | Contact Us

© Copyright Poets & Writers 2011. All Rights Reserved