Sign in or Register | Help | Contact Us

Advanced Search

Main Index » Writing and Publishing » MFA Programs
Iowa MFA
You are not signed in. Click here to sign in.
If you are not a member, Register here!
137830 registered users
First page Previous page 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 Next page Last page  View All

cecilpeoples

Feb 22, 2009, 6:25 PM

Post #376 of 466 (12180 views)
Shortcut
Re: [roseeview] Iowa MFA Can't Post

cool, thanks. i understand how this creative writing thing works as far as percentages, i was just hoping the summer workshop would be less competitive (though i'm sure that's not very realistic). one of my ex-profs was a student of mcpherson and she's told me how awesome he is (and that she thinks he'd like my stuff!). so i figure i'll give it a go. luckily, i don't fear rejection.

thanks for the info.

amarra

Feb 23, 2009, 12:46 AM

Post #377 of 466 (12076 views)
Shortcut
Iowa Acceptees Can't Post

Hi, I received the acceptance call from Iowa for fiction on Saturday and am wondering who else did as well. What other programs did you apply to/would you consider going to over Iowa? Are you going to visit before accepting? Anyway, I'm just interested in meeting future workshoppers and seeing what you all are up to.

HildaB

Feb 23, 2009, 5:28 AM

Post #378 of 466 (12041 views)
Shortcut
Re: [amarra] Iowa Acceptees Can't Post

Congratulations Amarra!

I haven't heard anything yet, but I am quite hopeful. Where else did you apply? I think visiting Iowa City is a great idea. It is really a fantastic little town, with great energy. Of course I was there in the summer, but if you are at all unsure, I think a visit to speak with the faculty and get a feel for things would help you a lot. Good luck in your program.

Khalilah

Feb 23, 2009, 7:13 AM

Post #379 of 466 (12030 views)
Shortcut
Why Iowa instead of a differnt MFA Program and Re: [amarra] Iowa Acceptees Can't Post

Amarra Congratulations!! Wow its serendipitous to wake up and read your posting because, I was thinking this morning about asking people on the board to discuss their Iowa experiences but was afraid to because I feel like anyone accepted to Iowa goes to Iowa so its good to hear you question whether or not you will go. I haven't been accepted but your late acceptance also gives me hope that maybe an acceptance is still to come.

So, Amarra forgive me for using this resposne post to ask former or current Iowa MFAers especially in fiction to tell us about the Iowa experience and, if you had to choose between Iowa and another program when you were accepted, what made you choose Iowa other than the obvious -- that they've produced more awarded authors than any other program (or if that was your sole reason, how did/is your experience at Iowa bring(ing) you closer to being the next great Iowa alumna?).

(This post was edited by Khalilah on Feb 23, 2009, 7:14 AM)

dorchester

Feb 24, 2009, 1:24 AM

Post #380 of 466 (11856 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Khalilah] Why Iowa instead of a differnt MFA Program and Re: [amarra] Iowa Acceptees Can't Post

Khalilah,

As a graduate of the Writers' Workshop, I can honestly say that perhaps the only reason not to go to Iowa is if you have some geographic or personal reason (e.g., your partner lives on the East Coast) that makes another location more desirable. Before Iowa improved their funding dramatically, that might have been another reason not to go, but now everyone is funded and their funding, in general, is among the very best in the country. Of course, as you said, the Iowa name and the prestige attached to is perhaps the most obvious reason to go, and though this might seem like a superficial reason right now, I can tell you from personal experience that down the road--when you're trying to get teaching jobs, seeking literary representation, etc.--you'll realize just how valuable a degree from Iowa can be. It doesn't guarantee literary success, of course, but it does give you an advantage over graduates from other programs, simply because of the Workshop's reputation for consistently producing successful writers. So, that's the practical reason for going to Iowa: the degree itself still holds more value, in a professional sense, than any other. As for the experience, I can tell you that Iowa City is an amazing town (probably the best literary town in the country) and that the Workshop community as well as the literary community in Iowa City are truly wonderful. It's just a very inspiring place to be if you're a writer, one of the only places in the country where being a writer is actually valued. On top of that, the Workshop faculty are incredible, not only as writers, but as teachers too. Marilynne Robinson and Jim McPherson are still the two best teachers I've ever had. Add to that the gorgeous building in which the Workshop is housed, the incredible list of visiting writers that come to town, the generous post-grad fellowships, and the many other perks that go along with being a student there, and you begin to see why the application numbers are so high. And of course there's a mystique factor that goes along with attending Iowa--wanting to go the same program where so many other famous writers have gone in the past--though, to be honest, I think that's only a part of it. I think the main reason why Iowa produces so many successful writers is because of the students themselves. In other words, the talent level there is so high that it inspires you to raise your game, to write better poems and stories, and, as a result, everyone just gets a lot better by the time they leave. I realize this might sound a little intimidating to some, but it's actually a very inspiring thing.

Anyway, I hope this answers your question somewhat, and my apologies for rambling on.

Best of luck to you!

(This post was edited by dorchester on Feb 24, 2009, 1:26 AM)

umass76

Feb 24, 2009, 1:32 AM

Post #381 of 466 (11852 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dorchester] Why Iowa instead of a differnt MFA Program and Re: [amarra] Iowa Acceptees Can't Post

I'd pretty much second everything Dorchester just said.

And I say this as a Bostonian who'd never been to the state of Iowa before matriculating.

S.

(This post was edited by umass76 on Feb 24, 2009, 1:33 AM)

Khalilah

Feb 24, 2009, 9:59 AM

Post #382 of 466 (11778 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dorchester] Why Iowa instead of a differnt MFA Program and Re: [amarra] Iowa Acceptees Can't Post

Dorchester,

Thank you for taking the time to respond. This was not at all too much of a response. In fact you bring another question to mind for me: do Iowa MFAers get those 3rd year graduate fellowships?

dorchester

Feb 24, 2009, 10:15 AM

Post #383 of 466 (11763 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Khalilah] Why Iowa instead of a differnt MFA Program and Re: [amarra] Iowa Acceptees Can't Post

Khalilah,

Yes. I can't remember the exact numbers, but I think around 6 graduating students get one--it's basically a fellowship for a full-year of funding that's delivered in monthly installments. The writer can live anywhere during that year, as long as they don't work. Also, another 6-10 of these fellowships are given out each year to recent graduates (meaning you can keep applying for them for about ten years after you graduate.)

roykofan

Feb 26, 2009, 10:21 AM

Post #384 of 466 (11577 views)
Shortcut
Re: [roseeview] Iowa Acceptees Can't Post

Has anyone received an official rejection from Iowa? I know they've been sending out acceptances -- presumably to their top candidates -- for over a week now, but I'm holding out the same "no (bad) news is good news" hope that everyone else is...;-)

HildaB

Feb 26, 2009, 7:39 PM

Post #385 of 466 (11469 views)
Shortcut
Re: [roykofan] Iowa Acceptees Can't Post

No word yet, but I am also holding out hope. My understanding is that letters will go out next week.

(This post was edited by roseeview on Feb 26, 2009, 7:40 PM)

Khalilah

Feb 27, 2009, 12:10 AM

Post #386 of 466 (11377 views)
Shortcut

Hey Roseview what is the source of your info?

HildaB

Feb 27, 2009, 6:08 AM

Post #387 of 466 (11324 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Khalilah] Iowa Acceptees Can't Post

The workshop office. I emailed them and got a reply.

Khalilah

Feb 27, 2009, 11:33 PM

Post #388 of 466 (11181 views)
Shortcut

Dorchester,

Thanks. Your generous response just makes me want it more.

Khalilah

Feb 27, 2009, 11:34 PM

Post #389 of 466 (11180 views)
Shortcut

Roseview thanks for reaching out to Iowa and finding out the info. Did they indicate that they would still be sending out acceptances?

HildaB

Feb 28, 2009, 7:34 AM

Post #390 of 466 (11126 views)
Shortcut

I don't want to give false hope, but my understanding is that the show is not over yet. In terms of acceptance letters vs the alternative, that wasn't clear, but it looks like things should be relatively obvious after this week.

Khalilah

Feb 28, 2009, 8:55 AM

Post #391 of 466 (11113 views)
Shortcut

I think I'm losing my mind I'm laughing so hard... what a way to respond to such potentially good news.

HildaB

Feb 28, 2009, 9:05 AM

Post #392 of 466 (11111 views)
Shortcut

I am just trying to be careful with info. There is a lot of stuff flying around out there, and I don't want to add to people's angst. I prefer to stay centered and positive, but prepare myself mentally for Plan B, so I try to be careful with the highs and lows of this process. I find that it detracts from the writing I am still trying to do while I wait.

Khalilah

Feb 28, 2009, 9:18 AM

Post #393 of 466 (11104 views)
Shortcut

Oh definitely Rose. My comments were a self analysis. I hope you didn't take them as a criticism of you. I just looked at your post and thought 'okay, that letter may be an acceptance' and started laughing hysterically. It was completely involuntary. It really makes me feel a teeeny bit insane. But I am incredibly grateful to you for inquiring directly with Iowa. And I think my attachment to P & W is making me realize how much this is my life here. Wow. For a while I'd thought of the MFA as my fancy and then what next... PhD, Law school but I'm realizing that No, this is the LIFE I want.

HildaB

Feb 28, 2009, 9:43 AM

Post #394 of 466 (11095 views)
Shortcut

Believe me I understand. I actually went back through all the materials I submitted to see if I would change anything - not to mention my letters of recommendation to remind myself of my accomplishments :) The truth is that I am happy with everything that I submitted, including my SOP. I felt that they reflected well who I am and what I want to accomplish. I gave it all that I have, and will have no regrets, no matter what happens over the next week. This is actually quite comforting to me, because when this is all over, I will still have the same goals, and will get my nose back to the grindstone and churn my heart out in the wee hours for as long as it takes.

I was thrilled to get into IWW last summer to work with JAM. He is a truly gifted individual with unique insights, but I don't believe for a minute that not getting in to the MFA program will make or break me as a writer. There are too many writer's working away in solitude, who finally, finally, have their voices heard. I will admit that getting accepted gives you a certain level of confidence, but none of us should forget why we write. It is who we are, and no rejection, or acceptance for that matter, changes that. I am holding onto that with every fiber of my being. Having said that, I will be screaming and crying for joy if I do get in!! Thus, I hold out hope, and try to remain centered...

agnyc

Feb 28, 2009, 5:20 PM

Post #395 of 466 (10983 views)
Shortcut

right on roseeview, right on. i need to take that to heart, but it's oh so hard.

Katevey

Feb 28, 2009, 6:25 PM

Post #396 of 466 (10943 views)
Shortcut
Re: [agnyc] Iowa Acceptees Can't Post

Thanks to everyone for helping remember no news is not an automatic rejection notice. And thank goodness Iowa has the finesse not to just post it on my admissions profile page.
Question: for Iowa, 'Hawkmail's' i.d. is only when one has been accepted, correct? I'm trying to make certain it isn't like Michener and I'm just looking in the wrong place.

HildaB

Feb 28, 2009, 8:36 PM

Post #397 of 466 (10897 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Katevey] Iowa Acceptees Can't Post

Hi Katevey,

Your admissions profile page should have a place to check application status.

Under the 'Admissions Summary' you should see, 'Admission Decision:' Mine still says 'In Progress' , but I am sure that the decision will posted there one way or another.

Hope this helps.

swiviol

Mar 3, 2009, 12:40 PM

Post #398 of 466 (10732 views)
Shortcut
ISIS Can't Post

So, what's up with ISIS? Has anyone's status actually changed except those who have been accepted? Mine still says "In Progress" ... I've heard that it won't change until a few weeks after letters are mailed out, but I'm making this post just to see if anyone's has changed.

HildaB

Mar 3, 2009, 12:54 PM

Post #399 of 466 (10707 views)
Shortcut
Re: [swiviol] ISIS Can't Post

Well, mine still says "In progress" but I'm happy with that at present :) Still hoping for good news via snail mail first.

fixittuesday

Mar 3, 2009, 1:05 PM

Post #400 of 466 (10697 views)
Shortcut
Re: [roseeview] ISIS Can't Post

Mine says In Progress too. I wrote Iowa the most pleading-est, on-my-knees letter. It was like the one I wrote to Johnathan Taylor Thomas in 6th grade. Ugh, I fear the worst, but there's a little sense of false hope in me that says, maybe they understand just how bad I want them! Maybe they'll take pity! Oh Please, JTT--err, Sam Chang!!

First page Previous page 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 Next page Last page  View All

Main Index » Writing and Publishing » MFA Programs

P&W Newsletters

Sign up to receive our monthly email newsletter to stay informed of the latest news, events and more.

Click to Sign Up

Subscribe to P&W Magazine | Donate Now | Advertise | Sign up for E-Newsletter | About Us | Contact Us

© Copyright Poets & Writers 2011. All Rights Reserved