Sign in or Register | Help | Contact Us

Advanced Search

Main Index » Writing and Publishing » MFA Programs
Iowa MFA
You are not signed in. Click here to sign in.
If you are not a member, Register here!
135899 registered users
First page Previous page 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 Next page Last page  View All

ellen362

Jun 15, 2008, 10:17 AM

Post #326 of 466 (11283 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Hamlet3145] Iowa Poetry Writing Sample Can't Post

Hi Jason,

I was at Dey House a half-hour ago. It's fine. The river would have to at least double in size, and rise about 20 feet, to pose a threat. The library is flooded but they got the books moved up in time.

A major mess, but the Workshop is safe. They are closed for about a week, though.

Ellen

golic

Jul 18, 2008, 5:30 AM

Post #327 of 466 (11177 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ellen362] Iowa Poetry Writing Sample Can't Post

Well, after licking my wounds from last year's rejection, I've decided to apply to Iowa again. My friends think I'm a masochist. I know it's the most prestigious school in the country and very hard to get into, but there's really no other program that comes close for me. In the past year, I've met so many Iowa grads both online and in person and they all talk about it like it's writer heaven. Just a ton of super-talented, cool people hanging out together for two years and writing. I also like the fact that the emphasis there seems to be totally on writing and on giving the students as much time as possible to write, as opposed to making them take a ton of courses that don't really relate to what they're doing. It just sounds like a really supportive, cool place. And of course it doesn't hurt that like a zillion famous writers went there.

So I'm going through the process again, but I've actually met a few people who applied to Iowa twice before they got in, so I'm hopeful it could happen. Anyone else applying again?

dorchester

Jul 18, 2008, 2:28 PM

Post #328 of 466 (11154 views)
Shortcut
Re: [golic] Iowa Poetry Writing Sample Can't Post

golic,

I'm glad to hear you're givng it another go! Iowa's a special place, unlike any other program, and it's worth the wait.

If it makes you feel better, I knew someone who was just like you when I was there. He applied to Iowa three years in a row (didn't want to apply anywhere else) and finally got in on his third try.

Here's hoping you get in on your second. Best of luck!
dorchester

Raysen

Aug 6, 2008, 8:30 PM

Post #329 of 466 (11061 views)
Shortcut
Re: Iowa Can't Post

I read this entire thread this afternoon and, believe it or not, I was thoroughly entertained. I will be applying to Iowa in the near future. If accepted, I will more than likely accept Iowa's offer, but it's not a certainty. I can see myself accepting any of the following schools over Iowa:

Michigan
Cornell
Virginia
UC Irvine
Columbia

But I could get rejected everywhere. (Most likely) I've got a long list of schools and I'll only apply to the ones I'll be HAPPY to attend. I won't apply to any schools where I have doubts. Wow...just posting this message made my heart ramp up!

Raysen

Aug 13, 2008, 4:45 PM

Post #330 of 466 (10971 views)
Shortcut
Lan Samantha Chang Can't Post

In light of Lan Samantha Chang's recent Guggenheim fellowship award, will she take a sabbatical from her duties for the next year? If so, who will take her place on an interim basis? How will this affect Iowa's program, if at all?

dorchester

Aug 14, 2008, 2:08 AM

Post #331 of 466 (10942 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Raysen] Lan Samantha Chang Can't Post

Raysen,

It's unlikely that her sabbatical will affect the program at all. That place has been running smoothly for years under the brilliant guidance of Connie Brothers, who is really the person who "runs" Iowa. Plus, Lan Samantha Chang may only end up taking off one semester, since Guggenheims are often used for 6-9 months, the length of a typical academic sabbatical.

gulfcoasting

Aug 26, 2008, 6:31 AM

Post #332 of 466 (10848 views)
Shortcut
Re: Iowa Can't Post

I'm applying this fall for Poetry and I'm already anxious.

Do any current Iowa Poets have any advice to offer for this fall's applicants?

mr.shankly

Oct 13, 2008, 12:37 PM

Post #333 of 466 (10681 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dorchester] Iowa Poetry Writing Sample Can't Post

I couldn't decide if I was going to reapply to Iowa this year or not. So I drove up here yesterday from Birmingham to check out the city.

Is there anyone in town who'd want to meet for coffee?? I'm staying with a friend in Cedar Falls, who's only been up here a month, so I'd love to talk with someone in the program who's more familiar with city. Let me know if you've got a few minutes in the next couple of days -- I'll be in until Thursday. Thanks, Katherine.

roykofan

Oct 21, 2008, 4:40 PM

Post #334 of 466 (10567 views)
Shortcut
Personal Statement/Statement of Purpose Can't Post

Help! I'm an 8th grade English teacher who's applying for MFA admission in the fall of 2009. My applications and portfolio are in pretty good shape, but I'm really struggling with the (infamous) personal statement. I've asked a large number of intelligent people and done a fair amount of research, but I'm still struggling to figure out what I'm going to eventually put on paper. Is there anyone out there who would be willing to share a personal statement that you thought was particularly good (in other words, one that helped you gain admission to the school where you wanted to go)?

luvrbuoy

Nov 5, 2008, 7:21 PM

Post #335 of 466 (10454 views)
Shortcut
Re: [luvrbuoy] Iowa Can't Post

In Reply To
Ellen,
Thanks for asking. No, I did not get into Iowa's playwriting program. I finally emailed them 2 weeks ago(?) and received a "rejection" email stating that a letter was on the way. I had already decided they were not for me.

Katevey

Nov 23, 2008, 2:39 PM

Post #336 of 466 (10309 views)
Shortcut
Re: [luvrbuoy] Iowa Can't Post

On a different thread, I was convinced to apply to Iowa. I'm applying for poetry. Question to those applying or those reading this blog who are already in: I have about 28-30 pages of poetry to send, should I also send a short story or two to "pad" my manuscript and show I can write in more than one genre although my interest is poetry?
The application fee is stiff for me, however, it's quite reasonable if you think about reading fees for contests. I had not been going to apply to Iowa because I have to go for full funding.
I started reading this blog from the start then skipped over to 2008; those already at Iowa City, how much control does the admin department have over the writing department? My undergrad over-all GPAs were 2.8-something & 3.0, respectively, and my GRE is rather weak but above the minimum. Neither degree was in English or anything related. My work history is everything except teaching and writing - just a lot of technical writing. (A good living, just boring.) Please be slash-and-gash honest.

Nov 23, 2008, 3:05 PM

Post #337 of 466 (10305 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Katevey] Iowa Can't Post

I'm not an Iowa student.

But:

Don't send a short story if you're applying for poetry.

Don't worry about your grades or educational background. Iowa still has the reputation of being one of the most lenient (if not the most lenient) schools as far as grades or GRE scores go. They care about your writing. If you meet their stated minimum requirements, don't even worry about it.

six five four three two one 0 ->

umass76

Nov 23, 2008, 6:14 PM

Post #338 of 466 (10278 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Katevey] Iowa Can't Post

I'm an Iowa student.

Don't send a short story if you're applying for poetry.

Don't worry about your grades or educational background. Iowa still has the reputation of being one of the most lenient (if not the most lenient) schools as far as grades or GRE scores go. They care about your writing. If you meet their stated minimum requirements, don't even worry about it.

[In other words, what Junior said].

(This post was edited by umass76 on Nov 23, 2008, 6:15 PM)

CalBoy

Nov 24, 2008, 8:17 AM

Post #339 of 466 (10213 views)
Shortcut
Re: [umass76] Iowa Can't Post

In Reply To
I had two questions about the writing sample (If anyone could help me out, that'd be great. Thanks in advance!):

1.) How much would it affect an applicant's chances were he to just have one story or one excerpt? I know some people encourage the use of two, to show range.

2.) If a program stipulates 25-30 pages, can we say, go with eighteen pages? In other words, is it safe to assume most of these page counts are only recommendations, not requirements?

Thank you again !

(This post was edited by CalBoy on Nov 24, 2008, 8:19 AM)

Raysen

Dec 10, 2008, 4:06 PM

Post #340 of 466 (10047 views)
Shortcut
Re: [CalBoy] Iowa Can't Post

I'm done with my applications, but I'm wondering whether I should send an extra story to Iowa. I already sent two (because they said 2-3 short stories). Does it look bad if I only sent two, instead of three?

Dec 10, 2008, 6:48 PM

Post #341 of 466 (10011 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Raysen] Iowa Can't Post

Damnit, Scott Baio, quit applying to all my schools!

(Ha! Just kidding...I'm not applying 'till next year, Scott.)

six five four three two one 0 ->

(This post was edited by Junior Maas on Dec 10, 2008, 6:49 PM)

Raysen

Dec 10, 2008, 7:52 PM

Post #342 of 466 (9997 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Junior Maas] Iowa Can't Post

Scott Baio...LOL!

Dang.

srpotu

Dec 11, 2008, 1:16 PM

Post #343 of 466 (9921 views)
Shortcut
Preparing to apply to Iowa Can't Post

Hi everyone,
I am planning on applying to Iowa in a couple of years. I'm posting because I'd like your input on what I can do (other than work on what I'll submit as my writing sample) to increase my chances of admission. After quitting work as a law clerk a year and a half ago, then taking a year to get my head in the right place, I began writing again. I've been fortunate to have a husband who makes enough to support the both of us, though we are by no means rich. Will it be frowned upon that I will have been out of work for three and a half years by the time I apply?

bighark

Dec 11, 2008, 1:41 PM

Post #344 of 466 (9915 views)
Shortcut
Re: [srpotu] Preparing to apply to Iowa Can't Post

The only thing you can do to increase your chances of admission is write great stories and poems. That's it.

Your job history is a non-issue.

dorchester

Dec 13, 2008, 3:45 PM

Post #345 of 466 (9830 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bighark] Preparing to apply to Iowa Can't Post

For those wondering about the town of Iowa city, here's a cool thing I just discovered: The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) has designated Iowa City the world's third City of Literature, making the community part of the UNESCO Creative Cities Network.

In my opinion, Iowa City is probably the best place to live as a writer in the country (and that's counting Boston and even New York), but it's nice to see this being recognized by the United Nations.

grimson
Justin Bryant

Dec 13, 2008, 4:12 PM

Post #346 of 466 (9824 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dorchester] Preparing to apply to Iowa Can't Post

I live in New York now. It's nice having bookstores, workshops, a creative community, and readings, but none of it helps when I sit down, alone, to write - just as the absence of same didn't hurt me when I lived in a small North Carolina town for six years.

spamela

Dec 13, 2008, 4:30 PM

Post #347 of 466 (9818 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dorchester] Preparing to apply to Iowa Can't Post

Hey, they might also be building a writer's museum to go along with that new designation, which would be neat.

I think Iowa City's probably a better place to live as a writer if you're affiliated with the Workshop. Otherwise it's a lonely place to be a writer, as unaffiliated writers tend not to be embraced or taken very seriously. It's also tough because you just *know* all these cool writer parties and conversations are going on that you'd love to be a part of, but can't because, well, it's the nature of writing programs to be insular. And by "you" here, I mean, of course, "slightly embittered me."

flobelle

Dec 14, 2008, 7:34 PM

Post #348 of 466 (9737 views)
Shortcut
Re: [spamela] Preparing to apply to Iowa Can't Post

I don't think this is the case.

I think that the issue is being connected to the university in some way, not necessarily the writing programs in particular. But that's true of any college town.

roykofan

Jan 3, 2009, 1:38 PM

Post #349 of 466 (9486 views)
Shortcut
Re: [srpotu] Preparing to apply to Iowa Can't Post

Okay, I'm diving into the grad school waters and applying to 11 MFA programs (including Iowa) for possible admission in the fall of 2009. After reading all of the rejection threads on this board, I'm already starting to get jittery. Does anyone know when schools typically make their acceptance/rejection decisions? When do they notify applicants?

Nervous in Chicago

jaywalke

Jan 3, 2009, 2:13 PM

Post #350 of 466 (9481 views)
Shortcut
Re: [roykofan] Preparing to apply to Iowa Can't Post

In Reply To
Does anyone know when schools typically make their acceptance/rejection decisions? When do they notify applicants?

http://sethabramson.blogspot.com/2008/01/2008-data-bank-of-application-response.html

First page Previous page 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 Next page Last page  View All

Main Index » Writing and Publishing » MFA Programs

P&W Newsletters

Sign up to receive our monthly email newsletter to stay informed of the latest news, events and more.

Click to Sign Up

Subscribe to P&W Magazine | Donate Now | Advertise | Sign up for E-Newsletter | About Us | Contact Us

© Copyright Poets & Writers 2011. All Rights Reserved