Sign in or Register | Help | Contact Us

Advanced Search

Main Index » Writing and Publishing » MFA Programs
Iowa MFA
You are not signed in. Click here to sign in.
If you are not a member, Register here!
139144 registered users
First page Previous page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 19 Next page Last page  View All

spamela

Mar 14, 2008, 12:29 PM

Post #301 of 466 (12365 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ellen362] I know you're out there Can't Post

This could potentially be VERY bad for writing students at Iowa. I used to be a book editor so I can tell you for a fact that a) no publisher will want to publish material that is available online for free and b) publishers HATE Google and to be legally embroiled or wrapped up with Google will not do you any favors when you attempt to publish your MFA thesis.

All current and incoming Iowa students should take a firm stand against this. It is very bad for each of you individually and it sets a bad precedent for other writing programs, some of which still regard Iowa as THE model for how a workshop should be run. This "contract" that Iowa wants you to sign devalues your worth and work as a writer. Stand against it.

popeye

Mar 14, 2008, 4:21 PM

Post #302 of 466 (12273 views)
Shortcut
Iowa / Google Can't Post

In regards to the issue of digital publication of creative theses, I have been given assurances from the University that the policy is currently being revised in a manner that will satisfy all the concerns of current and future students at the workshop.

I will post more information here as it becomes available. For further discussion on the topic I suggest both the Iowa MFA blog and Seth's blog.

http://iowamfa.blogspot.com/

http://www.sethabramson.blogspot.com/

Hopefully this will all be taken care of by Monday.

ellen362

Mar 14, 2008, 7:20 PM

Post #303 of 466 (12201 views)
Shortcut
Re: [popeye] Iowa / Google Can't Post

Popeye,

I hope you're right. I'm anxiously awaiting the decision. It also affects the privacy rights of anyone who wants to pursue a Master's or Ph.D.

Ellen

ecletters

Mar 17, 2008, 2:17 PM

Post #304 of 466 (12068 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ellen362] Iowa / Google Can't Post

Statement from the Provost Concerning MFA Theses

In recent days a number of people have been upset about what they
believed was a plan by our library to publish the creative thesis
work of students in our writing programs on the internet without
their permission. Let me say as simply and clearly as I can, there is
no such plan nor will there be. I regret sincerely that we did not
convey this message when students and faculty first voiced their
concerns.

For some time now our library, like most major academic research
libraries, has been exploring ways to make its collections more
accessible by digitizing some materials. As part of that process,
there has been discussion about the possibility of making graduate
student dissertations and theses available in electronic format. But
any such process must be preceded by developing policies and
procedures that allow authors to decide whether and when to allow
distribution.

On Monday, March 17, I will begin pulling together a working group with
representatives from the Graduate College, University Libraries, our
several writing programs, and all other constituencies who wish to be
part of the process. Under the leadership of Carl Seashore in 1922,
Iowa became the first university in the United States to award MFA
degrees based on creative projects. Although this has been a rocky
start, I like to think that Iowa will again lead the way by
developing policies and procedures that safeguard intellectual
property rights while preserving materials for the use of scholars in
generations to come.

pensive
Adam

Mar 17, 2008, 2:27 PM

Post #305 of 466 (12050 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ecletters] Iowa / Google Can't Post

Thanks goodness.

Raignn

Mar 17, 2008, 2:45 PM

Post #306 of 466 (12026 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pensive] Iowa / Google Can't Post

Excellent news for all current Iowa students and those who have been accepted!

spamela

Mar 17, 2008, 2:57 PM

Post #307 of 466 (12009 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ecletters] Iowa / Google Can't Post

I'm glad they've put out an official statement, but it doesn't actually address the issue--which is that the U is MAKING students sign something that in effect gives "permission."

ecletters

Mar 18, 2008, 5:49 PM

Post #308 of 466 (11921 views)
Shortcut
Newer Provost statement Can't Post

A Message from the Provost Concerning Theses and Dissertations
In recent days there has been a lot of discussion on campus and nationally concerning potential electronic access to student theses and dissertations in The University of Iowa's Libraries. The purpose of this email is to set your minds at ease and let you know what we are doing to ensure students' intellectual property rights.

In the case of MFA theses, it is critical to prohibit unauthorized electronic access since most publishers of creative work (poems, stories, plays, and so forth) will not publish anything that has already been made available on the internet. For our MFA authors, we are creating a version of the First Deposit Checklist that allows the author to explicitly rule out unauthorized electronic distribution no matter how the technology changes in the future. The students who worked with me and the writing program directors also thought it would be useful to have theses contain a special page asserting copyright and prohibiting unauthorized copying or distribution. This would be a useful option to have for all students.

In the case of research theses and dissertations, student preferences concerning distribution are more variable. In some fields, students wish to have their thesis work distributed as widely as possible and are willing allow this to occur through ProQuest or the University Libraries. Other students are happy to have their dissertations available electronically to University of Iowa staff and students but do not want more public distribution. Still other students want their work kept completely private until they have secured legal rights to their work via the patent process.

On Monday, March 24, I will meet with representatives of the Graduate College, University Libraries, and students and faculty from a variety of programs to work out a process whereby the authors of research dissertations can indicate their personal preferences about electronic access to their thesis work. We expect to have an interim process in place before the First Deposit Checklist is due.

I am grateful to the students and staff who have worked with me so far to help start the process of crafting a model policy for protecting students' intellectual property rights in the internet age.

Caroline W.

Mar 21, 2008, 6:35 PM

Post #309 of 466 (11808 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ecletters] Newer Provost statement Can't Post

Anyone out there still waiting on Iowa? Just curious...

golic

Apr 4, 2008, 3:19 PM

Post #310 of 466 (11630 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Caroline W.] Newer Provost statement Can't Post

Anyone ever heard of people transferring to Iowa from another program? Iowa was my top choice, and I didn't get in. I'm still holding out hope (probably unrealistic I know) of going there one day and was wondering if anyone knew whether such a thing is even possible and, if so, what the odds are?

jlgwriter
Jeanne Lyet Gassman

Apr 4, 2008, 3:40 PM

Post #311 of 466 (11615 views)
Shortcut
Re: [golic] Newer Provost statement Can't Post

Mmm...I don't know about Iowa, but I do know of a couple of people who transferred to Vermont from Stonecoast. Those are both two-year low-res programs, so I guess it could be doable for Iowa. It also depends on how many credits they will let you transfer.

Jeanne

http://www.jeannelyetgassman.com
http://jeannelyetgassman.blogspot.com

bunnytutu

Apr 4, 2008, 4:54 PM

Post #312 of 466 (11584 views)
Shortcut

I know of one person who transferred to Iowa from San Francisco State. I certainly think it's possible...but that's just me.

ellen362

Apr 4, 2008, 5:18 PM

Post #313 of 466 (11566 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bunnytutu] Newer Provost statement Can't Post

I believe someone transferred in from Mills College.

golic

Apr 4, 2008, 9:08 PM

Post #314 of 466 (11519 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ellen362] Newer Provost statement Can't Post

Thanks everyone for your feedback. It's good to know that it's at least possible. I just wonder if it's harder to get in as a transfer student (as opposed to someone who is just reapplying)? ? ?

ellen362

Apr 5, 2008, 9:16 AM

Post #315 of 466 (11463 views)
Shortcut

I'm sorry, I really can't say. I do know someone tranferring into Columbia,too.

dorchester

Apr 6, 2008, 11:00 PM

Post #316 of 466 (11368 views)
Shortcut

golic,

Iowa looks at your manuscript first. If you make it into the final rounds, and they like your work, I think you have as good a chance as anyone else.

luvrbuoy

Apr 9, 2008, 11:20 PM

Post #317 of 466 (11259 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Stroudb] Iowa Can't Post

IOWA Playwriting? Has anyone heard freaking ANYTHING. I've checked on-line boards for awhile. Last Friday, I called the Department and was told they did not even have a list yet (?). And, that there was to be a committee meeting that afternoon. What's the slow-ass deal here? My ISIS account says my application is "in decision". What the heck? Isn't this a bit late in the game? What's going on with their program in general? All this feels questionable. Anyone?

ellen362

Apr 11, 2008, 5:32 PM

Post #318 of 466 (11147 views)
Shortcut
Re: [luvrbuoy] Iowa Can't Post

I don't know why it's taking so long, but rest assured it's a legit program. I've got a friend in it. Sorry, that's not what you're looking for, but maybe it helps a little.

luvrbuoy

Apr 11, 2008, 6:12 PM

Post #319 of 466 (11131 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ellen362] Iowa Can't Post

Thanks for responding ellen362. Iowa has a great reputation. its just hard to understand WHY they are so slow when virtually every other reputable program has made decisions. I've seen no mention of anyone getting interviews, even. All so curious from what is supposed to be a top program. I'll just assume "no news is good news". And, that they probably are reading my script. Unlike, Yale--they had rejection letters out a month after the admissions deadline. Think about it, I doubt all scripts were read and considered by their program.

ellen362

May 2, 2008, 9:42 PM

Post #320 of 466 (10996 views)
Shortcut

Any word on the playwriting, luvrbuoy? I'm hoping you got in!

Ellen

luvrbuoy

May 2, 2008, 10:09 PM

Post #321 of 466 (10995 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ellen362] Iowa Can't Post

"At the patron's request, this post has been deleted."

(This post was edited by motet on Nov 28, 2008, 6:38 PM)

ellen362

May 3, 2008, 8:21 PM

Post #322 of 466 (10938 views)
Shortcut

Hi Luvrbuoy,

Congrats on the Tisch-Asia program! I hadn't heard about it before so I looked at it online. Sounds like a good opportunity. Hope they offer good funding.

I didn't apply this year- I'm a vet- already in Iowa, for fiction, and loving it.

Ellen

Mae Fields

May 22, 2008, 11:55 PM

Post #323 of 466 (10759 views)
Shortcut
Iowa Poetry Writing Sample Can't Post

Any advice from current /past Iowa poetry students on the writing sample? I've heard the "send your best work" and of course will, but I also go squeamish at the thought of putting this application together for December.

It is a relief to know that prior publications do not increase the chance of getting in -- I've had no luck with lit mags.

I am nervous as hell about the application, though.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. It actually feels good to stamp and whine about it for a moment.

What were your manuscripts like? Did they have a unifying theme or were they more diverse? What were the average lengths of the poems?

Thanks!

Mae Fields

May 30, 2008, 10:46 PM

Post #324 of 466 (10585 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mae Fields] Iowa Poetry Writing Sample Can't Post

My previous post makes me laugh. Hopefully I am working out my anxiety early in the process... :) There is no stamping or whining necessary. My post was an emotional reaction to discovering then reading this thread. It was a relief to find that people before me have felt this same anxiety (about applying to Iowa) and survived!

hamlet3145

Jun 15, 2008, 8:33 AM

Post #325 of 466 (10418 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mae Fields] Iowa Poetry Writing Sample Can't Post

I hope everyone in Iowa City is surviving the flood as best as they can. I lived there for 3 years around 99-'01 and it is beyond disconcerting to see some of the recent pictures. Does anyone know if Dey House is going to be okay? I know that it is at a higher elevation than, say, the Memorial Union, but still it's very close to the river.

Pre-flood levels:

http://maps.google.com/...647&t=h&z=17

Sending dry thoughts,

--Jason

First page Previous page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 19 Next page Last page  View All

Main Index » Writing and Publishing » MFA Programs

P&W Newsletters

Sign up to receive our monthly email newsletter to stay informed of the latest news, events and more.

Click to Sign Up

Subscribe to P&W Magazine | Donate Now | Advertise | Sign up for E-Newsletter | About Us | Contact Us

© Copyright Poets & Writers 2011. All Rights Reserved