Sign in or Register | Help | Contact Us

Advanced Search

Main Index » Writing and Publishing » MFA Programs
Iowa MFA
You are not signed in. Click here to sign in.
If you are not a member, Register here!
137761 registered users
First page Previous page 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 19 Next page Last page  View All

Taryn_S

Mar 7, 2008, 4:28 PM

Post #276 of 466 (10997 views)
Shortcut
Post deleted by Taryn_S

Taryn_S

Mar 7, 2008, 4:32 PM

Post #277 of 466 (10990 views)
Shortcut
Post deleted by Taryn_S

annie0

Mar 7, 2008, 6:16 PM

Post #278 of 466 (10908 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Taryn_S] Iowa Can't Post

Has anyone who was accepted into Iowa for Nonfiction been notified yet as to their funding/TA status?

My email on Feb 15th said I would hear from them "over the next several weeks" as to whether they would be able to offer me an aid package.

I have a strong suspicion I won't be receiving anything. If anyone has any info, I would love to hear it!

Thanks!

(This post was edited by annie0 on Mar 7, 2008, 6:17 PM)

jdavis

Mar 7, 2008, 6:38 PM

Post #279 of 466 (10884 views)
Shortcut
Re: [annie0] Iowa Can't Post

Annie, I haven't heard any final word on NWP funding yet either, but I did have a little email exchange with Robin Hemley about it the last week of February. I asked him for a date so I could get a time-specific extension from another school that wanted me to make a decision -- he said they were waiting to hear from the Dean of Arts and Sciences how many sections of composition/gen ed lit were going to be available before they could do any allocating, and that they were running slow this year so it could be a while. Kind of vague, but it made me stop holding my breath.

Also, are you (or any other NWP people) planning to go out there for Visitor's Week?

annie0

Mar 7, 2008, 6:56 PM

Post #280 of 466 (10865 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jdavis] Iowa Can't Post

Thanks for the heads up, JD! I had a similar email exchange with Robin for the same reason. My other schools have all told me about funding, and a few were sort of pressuring me to decide. I was really hoping for some concrete info from him, but I understand that it's sort of out of the department's hands at the moment. I guess we'll just have to wait and see...

I am planning on heading up to the visitor's week. I'm pretty excited about it! Are you going too? Do you know if you'll be staying with a student while you're there?

jdavis

Mar 7, 2008, 7:18 PM

Post #281 of 466 (10843 views)
Shortcut
Re: [annie0] Iowa Can't Post

I do love the waiting. Actually, I was a little encouraged by the latest email inviting us out there -- there were not a lot of names on the e-list. Maybe a small class = funding for all!

As for Visitor's Week, mind if I visit vicariously through you? I'm in northern Idaho at the moment, which might as well be Mars as far as the travel industry is concerned, so it doesn't look like I'm going to make it. It sounds like an awesome schedule, though. How long are you planning to stay?

annie0

Mar 7, 2008, 9:20 PM

Post #282 of 466 (10810 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jdavis] Iowa Can't Post

Yeah, I too counted the names on the email list. Amazing how attuned we all are to finding the tiniest shreds of information about this crazy process.

As for visitors week, I will totally be your proxy. I am staying for the whole week (I have a good friend in Iowa City), and am really looking forward to it. Iowa City seems like an awesome place. I'll let you know how it goes!

forthedogs

Mar 10, 2008, 12:10 PM

Post #283 of 466 (10680 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bertworld] Iowa Can't Post

not a yes, but i was waitlisted by letter today. feels pretty great. except for: who turns down iowa? heh.

anyone else on the "very short waiting list for admission"? or know anything about it? i'm really curious about how big it is, if people get in, etc.

golic

Mar 10, 2008, 1:27 PM

Post #284 of 466 (10618 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JWhelan] Iowa Can't Post

J Whelan,

You're probably right. I don't think anyone in their right mind actually turns down Iowa. If you get in, you basically have to go. But strange things do happen, and sometimes people make decisions based on other facotrs--like maybe there's some geographical reason they need to stay in another part of the country: their spouse's job, proximity to family, etc. In other words, I don't think it happens often, but I do think it probably does happen. And from what I understand, Iowa's waitlist is pretty small, probably because they just assume that everyone they accept will go, so there's that too. It's not like a twenty person list is what I'm saying, so if you're on the list I think that's a great sign. Here's hoping someone drops out. And congratulations for even making the list. That in itself is a major honor.

forthedogs

Mar 10, 2008, 2:55 PM

Post #285 of 466 (10571 views)
Shortcut
Re: [golic] Iowa Can't Post

hey, golic,

thanks for the response and encouragment! being on the waitlist at all is pretty rad. i wouldn't turn down a flat-out acceptance there either.

i talked to the IWW and the waitlist is very small and also unranked. i was told that it varies from year to year as far as wait list acceptances. sometimes all the waitlisters get in, sometimes none of them do.

i have no idea how this affects funding or TA possiblities or anything like that, though.

anyway, thanks again, golic!

j

Stroudb

Mar 10, 2008, 4:35 PM

Post #286 of 466 (10499 views)
Shortcut

For what it's worth, some students do turn down Iowa. Some of the students (in fiction) where I'm at turned down good money offers from Iowa to come here. It's worth noting that the landscape of MFAs is changing, and has been for the last few years. That is, it's not so much that Iowa has decreased in anyway, but that other programs have risen, which is a roundabout way of saying that not everybody who gets into Iowa actually goes (I personally know of five people who turned Iowa down) because Iowa is no longer seen as so far ahead of everyone else, as the obvious choice, etc.
So, if you made the waitlist, I'd say, don't give up yet!

reality writes

Mar 10, 2008, 4:41 PM

Post #287 of 466 (10475 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Stroudb] Iowa Can't Post

Stroudb, where do you go to school? That speaks highly for your school's reputation!

phillywriter

Mar 10, 2008, 5:56 PM

Post #288 of 466 (10429 views)
Shortcut
Re: [reality writes] Iowa Can't Post

JWhelan, I'd like to extend my congratulations as well! You're kicking butt! And I'm with golic. I don't think most rational people would turn down Iowa, though I'm sure it does happen. Not everyone has the same set of priorites, and for a lot of people the prestige of going to the top program in the country isn't as important as say getting a certain amount of money or studying with a particular writer or getting to live in a particular part of the country. Everyone's just different. And like Stroudb said, other programs are emerging, though I don't think any are quite in the same realm as Iowa just yet. This year, for example, Iowa received 920 applications for fiction alone, while other top programs like Michigan, Cornell, UVA and UC Irvine typically receive around 200-300 for fiction. I think that says something about where Iowa still stands, though it does make me happy that other programs are starting to emerge. And for the record, I got my rejection from Iowa this week. Bitter, yes, but I still admire the heck out of the program. Cheers!

(This post was edited by phillywriter on Mar 10, 2008, 6:36 PM)

martis

Mar 10, 2008, 6:01 PM

Post #289 of 466 (10422 views)
Shortcut

J.Whelan--

muchos kudos! i'd probably sacrifice one of my limbs to be on the waitlist at iowa. what did you get in for-fiction or poetry? i got my rejection for poetry via mail a few days ago. slowly coming out of my depression. thinking about applying next year, even if i end up somewhere else. i hope things work out for you!

Lynn Costes

Mar 10, 2008, 6:28 PM

Post #290 of 466 (10398 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
not a yes, but i was waitlisted by letter today. feels pretty great. except for: who turns down iowa? heh.

anyone else on the "very short waiting list for admission"? or know anything about it? i'm really curious about how big it is, if people get in, etc.

Big props for making the waitlist J.Whelan! That's beatin' some serious odds...

Stroudb

Mar 10, 2008, 9:19 PM

Post #291 of 466 (10329 views)
Shortcut
Re: [reality writes] Iowa Can't Post

Oh, Michigan (which got 500+ applications for fiction this year, not at Iowa's amount, but Iowa admits twice as many, too). Anyway, this is an Iowa thread, so, yea Iowa!

ellen362

Mar 10, 2008, 10:36 PM

Post #292 of 466 (10290 views)
Shortcut

Congrats on getting on the Iowa fiction waitlist. Last year, I was the person who got in there off the waitlist. It does happen.

All I did for weeks was eat. Hence I call it the 'weightlist.' Hang in there!

Ellen362

forthedogs

Mar 11, 2008, 6:08 AM

Post #293 of 466 (10231 views)
Shortcut
Re: [phillywriter] Iowa Can't Post

thanks, phillywriter! it's kicking my butt right back. i kind of just want to know where i'm going now. i think you're right about people not turning iowa down. i don't know if i would either. that'd be a tough call. i get the impression that money sometimes does draw people to smaller, richer pastures.

we'll see.

forthedogs

Mar 11, 2008, 6:36 AM

Post #294 of 466 (10226 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Lynn Costes] Iowa Can't Post

thanks, lynn. i appreciate it!

forthedogs

Mar 11, 2008, 6:39 AM

Post #295 of 466 (10224 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ellen362] Iowa Can't Post

thanks for the note, ellen362. good to know it does happen.

i think it'll be the weightlist for me too. this whole process is driving me to drink!

when did you find out?

ellen362

Mar 11, 2008, 10:08 AM

Post #296 of 466 (10187 views)
Shortcut

I was waitlisted on 3/24, and admitted on 4/19. So don't drink too much! It could be awhile.

There's a good chance someone will turn down a spot because of funding, etc. I'll cross my fingers for you!

Ellen362

forthedogs

Mar 11, 2008, 11:16 AM

Post #297 of 466 (10165 views)
Shortcut
Re: [martis] Iowa Can't Post

hey, martis,

thanks for the good wishes. i'm in fiction.

hope things work out for you for this year (and next if you decide to apply to iowa again).

j

forthedogs

Mar 11, 2008, 11:28 AM

Post #298 of 466 (10156 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ellen362] Iowa Can't Post

thanks, ellen. yeah, that's a lot of straight days of drinking. maybe i should try the gym or something.

ecletters

Mar 11, 2008, 1:30 PM

Post #299 of 466 (10097 views)
Shortcut
I know you're out there Can't Post

Hey people admitted to Iowa in either fiction or poetry, don't forget we have the blog where you can ask questions of the current first year students. The site is....www.iowamfa.blogspot.com

ellen362

Mar 13, 2008, 10:15 PM

Post #300 of 466 (9977 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ecletters] I know you're out there Can't Post

In Reply To
Hey people admitted to Iowa in either fiction or poetry, don't forget we have the blog where you can ask questions of the current first year students. The site is....www.iowamfa.blogspot.com

The current controversy at Iowa surrounds whether MFA students will have to sign away their thesis rights to a Google open-access site in order to graduate. We are all against having our stuff published free on the Internet. New admits, please inquire about this.

First page Previous page 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 19 Next page Last page  View All

Main Index » Writing and Publishing » MFA Programs

P&W Newsletters

Sign up to receive our monthly email newsletter to stay informed of the latest news, events and more.

Click to Sign Up

Subscribe to P&W Magazine | Donate Now | Advertise | Sign up for E-Newsletter | About Us | Contact Us

© Copyright Poets & Writers 2011. All Rights Reserved