Sign in or Register | Help | Contact Us

Advanced Search

Main Index » Writing and Publishing » MFA Programs
I'M IN!
You are not signed in. Click here to sign in.
If you are not a member, Register here!
138647 registered users
First page Previous page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 120 Next page Last page  View All

tenderloner
Geary'n Hyde

Feb 19, 2007, 10:53 AM

Post #201 of 2979 (25220 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ellen362] I'M IN! Can't Post

Yes, I'm now well aware of that. I noticed a 319 number in my call history, searched the area code and got myself insanely excited. Then I realized it was an outgoing call. By coincidence, the number we use for conference calling is hosted in Iowa for some reason.

For those of you waiting for Columbia, if the call comes from on campus, it'll likely show up as "Unknown." If the prof is calling from home or cell, there are a ton of area codes here -- 212, 646, 718, 347 in the 5 boroughs alone.

Thanks to discovering these boards, I dreamed of a call from Iowa this morning, but the person never got to the point before I woke up, they were giving me specific, workshop-style criticism/comments on my writing sample, so I wasn't sure if I was in, WL or rejected.

In Reply To
BTW, the Iowa area code is 319...

hamholio

Feb 19, 2007, 11:42 AM

Post #202 of 2979 (25171 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ellen362] I'M IN! Can't Post

BTW, the Iowa area code is 319..

That gives me the idea to prank call MFA Applicants from my home phone.

I need to practice my Samantha Chang impersonation.

:-)

malber

Feb 19, 2007, 2:18 PM

Post #203 of 2979 (25037 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hamholio] I'M IN! Can't Post

that's the best idea i've heard yet, hamholio

also: doesn't it make you crazy to check the threads, see that "I'm In" has new posts, and then discover its just area code chit-chat? i get all worked up for nothing :)

07MFA

Feb 19, 2007, 2:38 PM

Post #204 of 2979 (25006 views)
Shortcut
Cornell Can't Post

I'm sitting here with an offer that seems almost too good to be true from Cornell. Anyone here in the program currently? Care to share some insights with a new acceptee? Cornell is the first program from which I've heard a peep, and I'm still a little stunned. I plan to visit as soon as possible, but in the meantime I'd love to hear more than I can find online.

(This post was edited by 07MFA on Feb 19, 2007, 2:39 PM)

LateApplicant

Feb 19, 2007, 2:43 PM

Post #205 of 2979 (24986 views)
Shortcut
Re: [07MFA] Cornell Can't Post

Super Congrats !!! Man, I feel so envious (in a good way, you know). Are you poetry or fiction? Did they contact you today? OK, onto your questions. Search for sybiline and hopper fu here at the speakeasy. They're current Cornell students. They've been incredibly helpful in the past.

Banyon

Feb 19, 2007, 2:45 PM

Post #206 of 2979 (24979 views)
Shortcut
Re: [malber] I'M IN! Can't Post

In Reply To
also: doesn't it make you crazy to check the threads, see that "I'm In" has new posts, and then discover its just area code chit-chat? i get all worked up for nothing :)

If it were up to me, the only posts allowed in this thread would be of the form "I was accepted to <school name> on <date> and was alerted by <phone/e-mail/post>."

I realize I have violated my own rule:o)

-Banyon

07MFA

Feb 19, 2007, 2:58 PM

Post #207 of 2979 (24945 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LateApplicant] Cornell Can't Post

Poetry. I got a phone call Saturday morning. And because their funding makes it impossible for them to extend any offers beyond the 4&4 they can support, they'd like a decision as soon as possible.

I've crossed JHU & The New School off my list already, as I wouldn't chose the former over Cornell, and the latter is known to have terrible funding. UMass-Amherst responded pretty quickly to my inquiry with a no. That leaves Iowa, Brown, and UVA to hear from. I was told by Iowa that notifications should go out within the next two weeks. UVA says their applications are still out with readers, and they don't expect the process to wrap until late March. I was directed to email the poetry profs. and explain my situation. I have an email out to Brown, but I can't get anyone on the phone today.

P.S. In all the excitement, I also forgot that I also applied to Michigan. That's no reflection on UM, I'm a just a major scatterbrain. I called and was told the decision-making is scheduled for tomorrow and Wednesday. Also, got an email back from Brown. The person I emailed is forwarding my message on to a third party, who may be able to help. But he cautioned that the university is closed until Wednesday, and I so I may not hear anything before then.

(This post was edited by 07MFA on Feb 19, 2007, 3:30 PM)

Arkinese

Feb 19, 2007, 3:12 PM

Post #208 of 2979 (24911 views)
Shortcut

Congratulations! Let us know how it all turns out. Didn't someone else here also get an offer to Cornell for fiction? I think that was a couple weeks ago so you might track that person down and find out if they've accepted it or what the deal is there.

Fear&Loathing

Feb 19, 2007, 3:17 PM

Post #209 of 2979 (24899 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hamholio] I'M IN! Can't Post

Oh the cruelty! I think there's a ring in hell just for doing that, right below the first circle of the writers, poets, philosophers and other pagans.

Ring! Ring! Ring!

mrsriley72

Feb 19, 2007, 5:25 PM

Post #210 of 2979 (24736 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Fear&Loathing] I'M IN! Can't Post

In Reply To
07mfa who is your email being forwarded to? grad school or lit arts? secretary, admissions officer or professor? let us know what they say =)

07MFA

Feb 19, 2007, 5:36 PM

Post #211 of 2979 (24714 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mrsriley72] I'M IN! Can't Post

The Literary Arts director is forwarding my email to the assistant director. But I wouldn't go flooding the professor's email box without good reason. Everyone probably knows that already, but I feel a responsibility anyway...

(This post was edited by 07MFA on Feb 19, 2007, 5:38 PM)

unitvector
Sarah

Feb 19, 2007, 5:42 PM

Post #212 of 2979 (24703 views)
Shortcut

Hey, 07. Congratulations! I'm the other one from the message board who's heard back from Cornell. I'm pretty set on accepting, but I was advised to wait at least a week longer. Cheers to possible future classmates?

07MFA

Feb 19, 2007, 5:47 PM

Post #213 of 2979 (24688 views)
Shortcut
Re: [unitvector] Cornell Can't Post

So I'm not the only one feeling like it probably doesn't get better than this, huh? Are you poetry or fiction?

Cheers!

unitvector
Sarah

Feb 19, 2007, 5:50 PM

Post #214 of 2979 (24671 views)
Shortcut

Yeah, my general feeling was that nothing about the offer could have been better, aside from a $100,000 stipend and a world tour this summer, but I can deal with it.

Hi, Poetry. I'm Fiction. Nice to meet you.

jrosello
Jarod

Feb 19, 2007, 6:41 PM

Post #215 of 2979 (24597 views)
Shortcut
interview Can't Post

I just got an email from Hamline about setting up an interview Friday. What exactly does the interview mean? What kinds of things are they going to ask me? Anyone have any idea? I'm freaking out, my wife just found out today that she got a full ride to Hamline's law school! Pray/meditate/wish for me!

whiskeytown

Feb 19, 2007, 7:01 PM

Post #216 of 2979 (24550 views)
Shortcut

Congratulations and all fair admiration to you both for cracking the safe to Cornell's mighty good program. That they take only four people in each genre certainly does not obligate you to make a quick decision. You have until April 15 and should use it unless, of course, you KNOW in your heart of hearts that Ithaca's the best and only place for you (which you very well might). Take your time, revel in the glow of it, hear from others if you want. And hooray for the good news!

Rambler

Feb 19, 2007, 9:07 PM

Post #217 of 2979 (24418 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrosello] interview Can't Post

I'm praying for you! That is so great that you and your wife have this chance in your lives!

wilmabluekitty
Wilma Weant Dague

Feb 19, 2007, 9:11 PM

Post #218 of 2979 (24417 views)
Shortcut

Wow! I'm so in awe. I think Alice Fulton is the greatest living American poet. What kind of poetry do you write?

07MFA

Feb 19, 2007, 9:35 PM

Post #219 of 2979 (24373 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wilmabluekitty] Cornell Can't Post

Interestingly enough, my 'range' was one of the things A.F. mentioned as being attractive to the admissions committee. I haven't really worked to consolidate a style, and don't have much interest in doing so. Instead, I've tried to stick with what feels right to me, and from that I think a consistent voice has emerged. I had a poem up on Poetry Daily in June if you'd like a look. I don't think it's the best thing I've ever written, but it's the only piece that's online right now.

wilmabluekitty
Wilma Weant Dague

Feb 19, 2007, 9:54 PM

Post #220 of 2979 (24351 views)
Shortcut

Exceptional poem. The voice is very like A.F.'s--but still unique. Best of luck to you at Cornell. I think you'll be happy there.

(This post was edited by wilmabluekitty on Feb 19, 2007, 9:56 PM)

malber

Feb 20, 2007, 12:42 AM

Post #221 of 2979 (24219 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wilmabluekitty] Cornell Can't Post

well, i got in at Penn State today. fiction. their director called around 8pm and told me the good news... they have 3 years of funding (all from TAships) at about $12,600 / year. Not too bad, all in all... though does anyone know much about this program? i know State College is pretty isolated.

Arkinese

Feb 20, 2007, 8:16 AM

Post #222 of 2979 (24132 views)
Shortcut
Re: [malber] Cornell Can't Post

Congratulations, malber! So now you can focus on your graphic novel... Or are you going to weigh offers from other schools too once they come in? :)

renapoo

Feb 20, 2007, 8:20 AM

Post #223 of 2979 (24126 views)
Shortcut
Re: [malber] State College Can't Post

I grew up about an hour from State College. Given the area, it's a hip little college town, even though yes, it's not very close to any major cities. Probably the closest is Pittsburgh. If you like hiking, camping, mountains, deer, and that sort of thing, it's a nice spot.

Oh! And Congratulations!!!

(This post was edited by renapoo on Feb 20, 2007, 8:21 AM)

malber

Feb 20, 2007, 9:17 AM

Post #224 of 2979 (24080 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Arkinese] Cornell Can't Post

well, i think i have to weigh other offers. of course, its nice to be wanted by more than one place, but there are SO MANY schools that haven't even thought about sending out acceptances... they said they wanted a decision "as soon as possible" so we'll see.

anyways, regardless of what happens with schools, i'd BETTER work on that graphic novel... 'cause if i don't, i ain't gonna graduate.

SalPane

Feb 20, 2007, 11:25 AM

Post #225 of 2979 (23973 views)
Shortcut
Re: [malber] Cornell Can't Post

I'm an undergrad right now at a college about 45 minutes from Penn State. So my friends and I have dropped in from time to time. There's some nice little bookstores and coffee shops but other than that State College is pretty isolated. If you like big cities this isn't really the place. The closest "cities" are Scranton and Harrisburg. However, Penn State is kind of like its own city in a way. But beware, this is a huge party school. And on Friday and Saturday nights the streets will be swarming with mobs and mobs of drunken undergrads. But I guess the same could be said about many large universities.

(This post was edited by SalPane on Feb 20, 2007, 11:27 AM)

First page Previous page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 120 Next page Last page  View All

Main Index » Writing and Publishing » MFA Programs

P&W Newsletters

Sign up to receive our monthly email newsletter to stay informed of the latest news, events and more.

Click to Sign Up

Subscribe to P&W Magazine | Donate Now | Advertise | Sign up for E-Newsletter | About Us | Contact Us

© Copyright Poets & Writers 2011. All Rights Reserved