Sign in or Register | Help | Contact Us

Advanced Search

Main Index » Writing and Publishing » MFA Programs
I'M IN!
You are not signed in. Click here to sign in.
If you are not a member, Register here!
136373 registered users
First page Previous page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 120 Next page Last page  View All

ecphraticknolls

Feb 17, 2007, 1:34 PM

Post #176 of 2979 (22513 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HopperFu] I'M IN! Can't Post

I think your waitlist came a few days after the initial phone acceptances rolled in… but, I’m supposing that they (for the most part) will come early next week, anyway. And, there is always the chance that the one iowa acceptance was a fake...

But, I'm just thinking out loud, really.

mares

Feb 17, 2007, 1:42 PM

Post #177 of 2979 (22501 views)
Shortcut
Re: [umass76] Amherst! Can't Post

congrats, seth! so happy for you!

I appreciate your good luck wishes :-) and your blog has been an extremely helpful reference, btw, so thanks for compiling all that info.

mares

Feb 17, 2007, 1:44 PM

Post #178 of 2979 (22498 views)
Shortcut
Re: [papichulo] I'M IN! Can't Post

congrats! hope you get a nice financial aid package, too!

yea, interesting about the skinny envelope bearing good news... good for you!

alexdbg

Feb 17, 2007, 2:44 PM

Post #179 of 2979 (22449 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bighark] I'M IN! Can't Post

Do schools call people on Saturday? Just seems strange. Why not wait until Monday or why not call Friday? No one's acceptance seems that pressing to them I bet.

In Reply To
Iowa is a big program, and they have a lot of people to notify. This is definitely the time of year when notifications from Iowa start to trickle in, but I wouldn't worry about not having heard anything.

I mean, there's like 25 poets they have to reach. That's not all going to happen in one day.

piratelizzy

Feb 17, 2007, 2:49 PM

Post #180 of 2979 (22444 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ecphraticknolls] I'M IN! Can't Post

Why would it be a fake? I dunno... it sounds a little crazy to go online looking to find info--any info--and then go the route of "It may be a fake." Why not just take it for what it's worth and wait to see what happens? Go read some poetry to make yourself feel better. What's all this talk of "fakes"? Hehehe. I don't get it.

And thanks for the "it's not over 'til it's over" pep talk, kind stranger of up on this thread (sorry, forget your handle!). That's helpful.

'sup?!

bighark

Feb 17, 2007, 3:02 PM

Post #181 of 2979 (22426 views)
Shortcut
Re: [alexdbg] I'M IN! Can't Post

All I can say is that I've been on this board for three years and I've seen people report phone calls on Saturdays, Sundays, and unexpected times during the day and night on weekddays.

It's the middle of Iowa's historical notification period. Why would we have any reason to believe that people are out there posting fakes? Iowa has some 50 people to contact over the next few days. If they need to use some time on Saturday and Sunday to fit everybody in, is that such a big surprise?

alexdbg

Feb 17, 2007, 3:07 PM

Post #182 of 2979 (22419 views)
Shortcut

Yes, I feel that a Saturday or Sunday phone call would be a surprise. It just doesn't seem that pressing to have to call someone on the weekend - and as far as 50 phone calls being a lot, not really...they just read 1200 applications, and now somehow 50 3 minute phone calls is a lot? Hardly.

And it seems that the Iowa phone call came yesterday (Friday) whereas the Cornell phone call for poetry came today (Saturday).

In Reply To
All I can say is that I've been on this board for three years and I've seen people report phone calls on Saturdays, Sundays, and unexpected times during the day and night on weekddays.

It's the middle of Iowa's historical notification period. Why would we have any reason to believe that people are out there posting fakes? Iowa has some 50 people to contact over the next few days. If they need to use some time on Saturday and Sunday to fit everybody in, is that such a big surprise?

(This post was edited by alexdbg on Feb 17, 2007, 3:25 PM)

bighark

Feb 17, 2007, 3:24 PM

Post #183 of 2979 (22390 views)
Shortcut
Post deleted by bighark

stellalovers

Feb 17, 2007, 3:25 PM

Post #184 of 2979 (22386 views)
Shortcut

what about iowa's nonfiction notifications? anybody know when those go out?

alexdbg

Feb 17, 2007, 3:26 PM

Post #185 of 2979 (22381 views)
Shortcut

Without a doubt a stress conspiracy. This process is completely dehumanizing.

In Reply To
Well that settles it. The Saturday phone calls are part of a stress conspiracy.

Glad we cleared that up.

bighark

Feb 17, 2007, 3:28 PM

Post #186 of 2979 (22375 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stellalovers] I'M IN! Can't Post

Non fiction isn't part of the Writers Workshop. That's part of the English department, which runs on a different schedule.

podi

Feb 17, 2007, 4:33 PM

Post #187 of 2979 (22323 views)
Shortcut

Hi everyone,

I just checked my emails and one arrived yesterday (Friday) from Hollins...

I'm IN! With full tuition grant and stipend for two years. I'm shocked and humbled and thrilled.

Good luck to everyone on this board. Two years ago, I applied to five schools and was denied at all. So, this is proof that with persistence, it can and will happen.

blair_violet

Feb 17, 2007, 4:43 PM

Post #188 of 2979 (22307 views)
Shortcut
American University Can't Post

I received an acceptance letter in the mail today from American University for an MFA in Creative Nonfiction. The only problem is that the letter is vague about funding; it says to "contact the financial aid office."

Does anyone have any idea about the funding situation at American? I'm going to call on Monday, but any information would be appreciated.

Thanks!

LateApplicant

Feb 17, 2007, 8:19 PM

Post #189 of 2979 (22158 views)
Shortcut
Re: [blair_violet] American University Can't Post

Congrats, Sergio and Blair !!! Must be such a relief !!!

Are Hollins and American, respectively, your first choices?

No clue about American's fin aid, Blair. No info on their website?

BridgetB

Feb 17, 2007, 10:25 PM

Post #190 of 2979 (22096 views)
Shortcut
Re: [blair_violet] American University Can't Post

Blair,

Congratulations! I was a part time student at American for a few semesters, so I am somewhat familiar with the program. For me, my work was reimbursing for the classes, so I didn't rely on the University for funding, and I'm only vaguely familiar with what the University offers. I have a general sense that the funding at American is not great. I believe they offer one merit scholarship each year, but it does not include health insurance. Other students work full-time on capus for tuition reimbursement, but it also seemed like a good percentage of the students rely upon loans.

I hope they offer you a good package!

Bridget

OneWriter

Feb 18, 2007, 12:03 AM

Post #191 of 2979 (22035 views)
Shortcut

I'm not a big fan of my cell phone, but I received an acceptance on a Saturday. I was at the laundromat and just happened to have it on me - now I'm taking the freakin' thing with me everywhere I go, and it's on the fritz.

malber

Feb 18, 2007, 12:16 AM

Post #192 of 2979 (22029 views)
Shortcut
Re: [OneWriter] I'M IN! Can't Post

to WHERE?!? congrats, also.

gabedurham

Feb 18, 2007, 1:37 AM

Post #193 of 2979 (21987 views)
Shortcut
Re: [malber] I'M IN! Can't Post

Hey folks. I got an acceptance call from Noy Holland at UMass (fiction). Very classy, the personal touch of a professor calling me and being very understanding about my fickle cell reception. I celebrated by buying her book and another professor's book on Amazon. What a supportive internet community this is... atypical for a message board.
Gabe, www.gatherroundchildren.com

Code

jargreen

Feb 18, 2007, 3:09 AM

Post #194 of 2979 (21959 views)
Shortcut
Re: [gabedurham] I'M IN! Can't Post

Congrats, gabedurham! Did you get the call on Saturday? I'm still crossing my fingers and toes.

ecphraticknolls

Feb 18, 2007, 7:18 AM

Post #195 of 2979 (21937 views)
Shortcut

Congrats!

mrsriley72

Feb 18, 2007, 10:36 AM

Post #196 of 2979 (21883 views)
Shortcut

What begins with bird? I heard her read that.
N/C

BUT, she is a respected name.

In Reply To
Hey folks. I got an acceptance call from Noy Holland at UMass (fiction). Very classy, the personal touch of a professor calling me and being very understanding about my fickle cell reception. I celebrated by buying her book and another professor's book on Amazon. What a supportive internet community this is... atypical for a message board.
Gabe, www.gatherroundchildren.com

Code

tenderloner
Geary'n Hyde

Feb 18, 2007, 3:39 PM

Post #197 of 2979 (21759 views)
Shortcut
Re: I'M IN! Can't Post

I was just triple checking financial aid and housing info and the MFA Handbook blog suggested reading the P&E boards while waiting. I took the school's notification dates far too literally (late Feb, mid-March, April 1), which at least saved me 2 weeks of waiting anxiously by the phone.

Now I have this wishful thinking thing going on. The past 2 weeks I've received an unusual number of calls from unknown numbers. I didn't answer, because it's usually marketing or something weird and there were no messages. Now I'll have to endure potential marketers and B.S. in the hope that it's schools calling me.

I went to Columbia for undergrad and calls from on campus appear as "Unknown" on caller ID, due to the way the phone system is set up and I suspect other schools are similar. Except I'm pretty sure Iowa shows up, as a faculty member/IWW alum I contacted called me in the fall.

Yes, overanalyzation mode has begun!

gabedurham

Feb 18, 2007, 5:48 PM

Post #198 of 2979 (21668 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mrsriley72] I'M IN! Can't Post

That's the one. The other book I ordered was U.S.! by Chris Bachelder.

hamholio

Feb 18, 2007, 6:24 PM

Post #199 of 2979 (21634 views)
Shortcut

U.S.! is a terrific novel.

ellen362

Feb 19, 2007, 2:28 AM

Post #200 of 2979 (21467 views)
Shortcut
Re: [tenderloner] I'M IN! Can't Post

BTW, the Iowa area code is 319...

First page Previous page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 120 Next page Last page  View All

Main Index » Writing and Publishing » MFA Programs

P&W Newsletters

Sign up to receive our monthly email newsletter to stay informed of the latest news, events and more.

Click to Sign Up

Subscribe to P&W Magazine | Donate Now | Advertise | Sign up for E-Newsletter | About Us | Contact Us

© Copyright Poets & Writers 2011. All Rights Reserved